Adrenaline surges - need help!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by laspis1, Feb 15, 2006.

1. laspis1

laspis1 New Member

I am so sick of the adrenaline. I know it is one of the reasons I have been feeling so sick lately.

I feel wired and wiped out, it affects my breathing, hart rate, sleep and throws me back into the dump.

I started on lexapro two weeks ago, and it seemed to have diminished at first but it is acting out again.

I know I cannot get better until I can control these. I do not feel panicky when it happens, but it can be triggered by a thought.

Most of them just come out of the blue. I had some hormones tested and they seem fine.

Funny thing is that when I get them I do not feel any pain for a while, so as weired as it is, when I do feel pain, I am almost relieved, because I know I have not had the adrenaline surge for a while. I would rather deal with pain than feel so sick and wiped out.

How do you control these? Are there meds? Herbs? Anything...PLEASE!!!!

[This Message was Edited on 02/15/2006]
  2. proteinlady

proteinlady New Member

If it's not a cortisol problem and is a true adrenaline surge (sure sounds like it) you can blunt the response with a low dose of beta blocker. When you get the surge, some of the receptors will be blocked and the adrenaline can't act. The other option is to ask the doc if adrenaline output can be blunted. Keep us posted.
  3. elliespad

elliespad Member

Because I don't make enough Cortisol, I have excessive Adrenalin being produced, trying to compensate. Also, if you have any allergy going on, food allergy, skin allergy, inhalent allergy, your body will produce Histamine to deal with the Allergy. Then, the body produces Adrenalin to clear the histamine. And you already know what excessive Adrenalin does. Excessive Adrenalin also suppresses Glutathione production. So, couple thoughts.

1. Beta Blocker to block the effects of Adrenalin (I take Tenormin)
    2. Control allergies
    3. Use herbs, anti-inflammatories to control inflammatory (allergic) respones. (Inflammune, turmeric, Vit C, Quercetin, Enzymes, aspirin, ibuprofen, Vit B complex,)
    4. Take Omega-3 Fatty Acids, (Fish oil, Flaxseed oil, walnuts, almonds)

Some foods that PROMOTE inflammations are white flour, sugar, red meat, dairy products, fast food, food additives. Once the fire is lit, it is very hard to put the fire out.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/15/2006]
  4. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

I recommend the Adrenal Energy tablets from Pro-health store. They are helping me with the adrenal surges, heart palpitations and general anxiety. I have never noticed such a difference with any vitamin, nor have I recommended any before.

I don't know about the RX drugs for this, but on Dr. Teitelbaums site he recommends Cortef for Adrenal. Some take glandulars, too, but I haven't tried them either.
  5. Frecker777

Frecker777 New Member

This is a HUGE problem for me! If I even think of something scary, exciting, sad, invigorating, etc. my entire sympathetic nervous system charges up and leaves me feeling like I was just attacked by a bear (in terms of anxiety, palpitations, and adrenaline)—the problem is my parasympathetic system is not coming in to slow anything down. The surges (as you so aptly penned them) can last for hours.

This problem has gotten especially worse over the past two years and contributes to my panic attacks and learned phobias. Anyway, getting back on topic, I just started taking Xanax to help with the surges, though it makes me too groggy during the day.

I believe my underlying and continuously progressing lyme disease has a hand in this fiasco.
    -Carrie
  6. laspis1

laspis1 New Member

Forgive me for not responding to you individually. I was not well last night and after I posted I went to bed. I am very grateful for all your advice.

I believe that at this stage I should probably take a beta blocker, but I am not sure if my dr will be willing to prescribe it. He would not even prescribe me anything for sleep, and yet I took sleeping pills last night and slept through the night for the first time in a long time. I feel so much better today.

I will also check out the adrenal help from Pro Health. I am hoping that in addition to that the lexapro should be of more help soon. I should give it a couple more weeks.

Anyway, I am grateful for all the advice. I will look into all of the options, as I am too miserable with those surges and they make me so sick.
  7. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

You might want to try some Theanine. It's very calming but but allows you to stay focused. I use it for sleeping better but I've heard of people taking it for anxiety during the day. It's just a simple amino acid extracted from green tea.
  8. laspis1

laspis1 New Member

I have not heard of it before, but I will definitely look into it. Would drinking green tea do the same?
  9. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

No, Don't drink green tea. Green tea has caffeine so you'll only add to your anxiety. By the way, if you're having anxiety or adrenaline surges you shouldn't be drinking ANY caffeinated drinks (coffee, coke, any soda's). It'll only add to your problem.

The only way to get Theanine without the caffeine is to buy the supplement. The place I get my supplements is www.vitacost.com. They have the best prices I've found, on just about every supplement you can think of.

Good luck
  10. laspis1

laspis1 New Member

I am not drinking anything with caffeine, neither tea not coffee not any other drinks. I was in the past, but since I started with the surges I stopped and I do not even crave them. I could not imagine adding anything to make me even more jittery than I am now.
  11. laspis1

laspis1 New Member

I have read that some of you do that, I will have to talk to my doctor at my next apptmnt. If my dr is not going to work with me, I have an OBGYN that will. He is the nicest man and he was the first one to suggest I have FM and the first one to try and help. So I will talk to him about all of your ideas and hopefully one of them will work for me.
  12. Txslady

Txslady New Member

I dealt with these for over a year before my doctor did anything. After lots of test and finding nothing I was placed on Toprol-XL 12.5mg daily. The lowets dose this is made in is 25 so I take half of one daily and it has helped a lot.

Shannon
  13. karebear70

karebear70 New Member

Hi, ask to try a beta blocker like Atenolol. I have to take it for a rapid heart beat, it calms the adrenaline surge, kina acts like a filter. it is really safe and cheap!
    Karen
  14. laspis1

laspis1 New Member

Sorry for not responding sooner but I have not been on the board. A lot has been happening in my life. On top pf everything, I went to the dr few days ago and collapsed in his office.
    He called 911 and wanted them to keep me in the hospital, but they gave me ginger-ale and sent me home. I am still recovering.
    I will post some more about it. But for now, just wanted to let you know I did not mean to ignore you. My collapse was due to sudden drop of blood pressure (vasovagal syncope) which is part of dysautonomia.
    Since it happened in front of a dr, I hope now they will give me a beta blocker so it will help the adrenaline as well. Anyway, hope all is well on the board. Thanks again.
  15. laspis1

laspis1 New Member

I believe that they have checked my cortisol level and I was told it was fine.
  16. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

Found this on the net and thought you might find it useful for your anxiety and adrenaline surges. I'm using GABA for sleep and it works great but didn't realize it can help with anxiety also.

"Without GABA, nerve cells fire too often and too easily. Anxiety disorders such as panic attacks, seizure disorders, and numerous other conditions including addiction, headaches, Parkinson's syndrome, and cognitive impairment are all related to low GABA activity. GABA hinders the transmission of nerve impulses from one neuron to another. It has a calming or quieting influence. A good example to help understand this effect is caffeine. Caffeine inhibits GABA release. The less GABA, the more nerve transmissions occur. Think what too much coffee feels like: that is the sensation of glutamate without enough GABA"

hope this helps.
  17. zoemurr

zoemurr New Member

as someone else said I just need to think about something and I can't breathe for hourse. One day I had to run my DD to the bus stop.. it's only 3 houses and I couldn't breathe for 4 days. Before I could just be doing laundry and all of the sudden I couldn't breath. I have been going to chiro and she has me on "Total Mitochondria" by NutriWest and it has helped a great deal. I take 3 a day, and more if I have an episode. It is mainly a very high dose of B-1, but has some other things in it too.
    -HTH
  18. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I did a saliva/cortisol test and found out that my cortisol output was high, especially in the evening.
    When I overdo, my hands shake, I have trouble breathing, and I feel "wired." My insomnia worsens as well.

What has helped me the most is Seriphos. It's phosphorylated Serine, and is one of the main things mentioned in the book, Chronic Fatigue Unmasked 2000. (I've forgotten the authors name, but he started the Clymer Healing Center). You can order them online. Just do a google search.

For a while, I was taking up to about 7 of them a day. Now, I take a couple whenever I get shaky or usually, about two in the evening or before bed.
    They really helped me!

Good luck.
    Kholmes
  19. kholmes

kholmes New Member

By the way, I was wondering if you've ever gone to the doctor or been at the doctor's when your surges were happening. Beside the saliva test, my standard adrenal lab tests showed no problems, but I have many of the same symptoms you do.
    When my attacks were worse (about a year ago), I wish I had gone to the ER or the doctor to see if they could determine the problem.
    Thanks.
    Kholmes