Adrenals..help with basic info please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Ginner, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Ginner

Ginner New Member

I believe this is what I am missing in my treatments for fms / myof. pain synd.
    Can someone please give me some basics.

What type of dr. do I see?

I am taking effexor, ambien, flexiril, darvocet for 8yrs. I am weak. My sister passed away from adrenal gland initially lung cancer last year. I know things are not as they should be and need help...
    Thanks so much
    Ginner
  2. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

I have adrenal exhaustion, and right now will not be able to write a lot. There are people on this board who can perhaps help you with this: Lisapetrison and Bigmamma2 being two of them. Look under their names for some posts. You would likely get more help from a naturopath than an endocrinologist. The first thing you need to do is have a salivary cortisol and DHEA test done, and start from there. This is a very short version and where you need to start, but first of all you need to REST A LOT! I have found some really good websites and will post them for you maybe tomorrow. Take care. Marie
  3. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Dr. Richard Wilson N.D. had a fantastic book on this:
    Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st-Century Stress Syndrome
    Amazon sells it for ~$10.

The first 8 chapters are very easy to read. The last ones get into the medical details and are just great.

The adrenals help our body react to stress. We would die with out them. Us CFS/FM ppl are constantly stressed just to keep going every day, so adrenal fatigue is a constant complaint.

The adrenals can heal on their own by just resting whenever your body feels tired. Caffiene and other stimulants are hard on the adrenals.

One symptom is adrenal fatigue is salt craving. Dr. Wilson says it helps them, so add a little salt to the diet. Also B5 (pantothenic acid) is very healing to them.

The adrenals also make smaller amounts of testosterone and estrogen. This is where men and women get a little of both! They use DHEA to make up cortisol and the sex hormones. There is a blood test for DHEA and cortisol. Women should use no more than 25mg of DHEA or use the 7-Keto DHEA as it cannot be converted into testosterone. Women have been known to grow facial hair otherwise.
  4. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

good advice from skeesix, springrose, and allwxrider.

read about adrenal fatigue on websites- google adrenal fatigue. dr lam , dr neville/poesnecker, dr wilson have good sites.

adrenal fatigue book by wilson is excellent. prop cheap on amazon. or only $15 at a bookstore.

heres the deal w endocrinologists- "most" of them only recognize and treat the extreme end of adrenal disease- cushings or addisons. very few of them believe that adrenal fatigue is real.

the adrenal saliva test by diagnos tech labs is excellent. you can order it yourself on clymer healing center website for $160. or on canaryclub website. or thru your chiro, naturopath, or alternative health dr.

good luck!!
    bigmama2
  5. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

Why would you agree with the endos??? They are behind the times, and like many Drs. don't know the meaning of continuing education. Everything is a process. Addison's Disease is a diagnosis given when a person is at death's door because no one bothered to deal with the process that got them there in the first place: adrenal fatigue. Marie
  6. Ginner

Ginner New Member

thank you so much for the gracious help.
  7. pocahontas606

pocahontas606 New Member

hi there..

please look at the posts that are titled (something like what is about to follow) "adrenal supplemment questions" by dehliarose and "has anybody checked their own lab tests" by pw7575.. there are some good points in there.

hope you are well.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/05/2007]
  8. Ginner

Ginner New Member

heart..thanks for the info.
    Appreciate it so much !