Adult ADD/ADHD Myths: Fact or Fiction

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by gapsych, Nov 12, 2009.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Adult ADD/ADHD Myths: Fact or Fiction

MYTH: ADD/ADHD is just a lack of willpower. Persons with ADD/ADHD focus well on things that interest them; they could focus on any other tasks if they really wanted to.

FACT: ADD/ADHD looks very much like a willpower problem, but it isn’t. It’s essentially a chemical problem in the management systems of the brain.

MYTH: Everybody has the symptoms of ADD/ADHD, and anyone with adequate intelligence can overcome these difficulties.

FACT: ADD/ADHD affects persons of all levels of intelligence. And although everyone sometimes has symptoms of ADD/ADHD, only those with chronic impairments from these symptoms warrant an ADD/ADHD diagnosis.

MYTH: Someone can’t have ADD/ADHD and also have depression, anxiety, or other psychiatric problems.

FACT: A person with ADD/ADHD is six times more likely to have another psychiatric or learning disorder than most other people. ADD/ADHD usually overlaps with other disorders.

MYTH: Unless you have been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD as a child, you can’t have it as an adult.

FACT: Many adults struggle all their lives with unrecognized ADD/ADHD impairments. They haven’t received help because they assumed that their chronic difficulties, like depression or anxiety, were caused by other impairments that did not respond to usual treatment.

Source: Dr. Thomas E. Brown, Attention Deficit Disorder: The Unfocused Mind in Children and Adults
  2. hi all,
    ive never been told that i have the above conditions,but seeing as im sensitive to certain things in foodstuff (additives),and all my life i was hyperactive,and hardly ever stopped.well i believe i have the above conditions and thats why my body burned out years later.

ive watched videos of my kids birthday parties,and i see myself being very hyper.my mum used to tell me i,d been like this since being a child.

so now i know that theres a reason for my burn out,and i have to watch what i eat and drink.else my old body will be thrust into hyper mode again,and the migraine and body crash will come.

pace yourselves my friends.

love fran

p.s many thanks for the above post gapsych.
  3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

You should ask your doctor to see if you do indeed have ADHD as there are medications that can really help.

Funny, what you said brought back something I almost forgot about. I used to say I burned myself out by the time I was 30.

Pace. Pace. Pace. That does not mean the walking around kind of pacing, LOL!!

Take care.
    gap
  4. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

On the Bravo show Million Dollar Listing, the realtor Josh has ADD, had stopped his medication and has been very forgetful. Tests showed no tumors and showed he is okay, but that he should return to his medication and his doctor stressed that he should slow down his life style. He is a real estate agent in high pressure "million dollar listing" areas and is a go getter and is a good closer of deals. But it may have taken a toll on him medically.