Advair anyone??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by meeee74, Jan 14, 2007.

1. meeee74

meeee74 New Member

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone uses or tried to use Advair. My doc gave mme a sample to use, but since I have med anxiety I have not tried it yet. I just started taking Celexa (5 mg) and that was very, very, very hard to do. I'm only 2 days on it so far.

Anywho, anyone have anything good or bad to say about Advair I'd really appreciate it. I have shortness of breath and doc says it may help. (My mild asthma typically presents as cough, but maybe it's changing.) Been to ER enough times so assuming it really isn't my heart. (Hope not anyway.)

Thanks again everyone.
    Erica
  2. robeybeth

robeybeth New Member

try coenzyme Q10. I used to have shortness of breath and this safe product really works. Everyone I know who takes it is healthier and stronger. I can now walk a few miles with no shortness of breath; in the past I could not wlka few blocks..
  3. robeybeth

robeybeth New Member

Try keeping away from all yhose drugs if possible and look for safe alternatives. Start with a great diet and plenty of water. Slowly add supplements. I have kept away from all drugs because after much research I know in the long run they will harm me. I do not trust the pharmaceutical industry one bit. I have friends who have horror stories about unethical practices.
  4. lv2sing

lv2sing New Member

No problems w/ it. My asthma is a cough too, usually when it's damp out,or really humid, or if I'm in the wind,etc & ti makes me short of breath. Don't have symptoms very often as long as I'm on it. I have an emergency inhaler, & probably only need it 1 or 2 x every month or every other. Mostly in the fall at harvest time, since I'm in the midwest & surrounded by corn & dust.
  5. TKE

TKE New Member

Erica:

I use it now & then. I have "seasional" asthma like attacks. I've had allergies for years. Allergies tpo many things can chainge over time, either getting worse or even going away completely. I'm sort of allergic to fresh mowed grass (if several neighbors are all mowing at the same time) & major humidity changes. Season changes in spring & fall also cause me some problems. Things like smoke, dust, perfumes, pollens do not affect me one bit. Weird I know.

I have found that "ALL" astham inhalers tend to cause me cramps in my calves. It's one of the side effects of asthma meds, so you need to make sure you take calcium/magnesium.

I have found my attacks often start with post nasal drip usually brought on by changing weather patterns & if left go can turn into a full blown attack with major coughing/wheezing. As soon as this starts I reach for a jar of Vicks Vapor Rub. I hold it under my nose & just breath in the vapors for a good 10-20 minutes. I only go to the asthma inhalers if this doesn't work, as I don't want my body reaching a point it relies on them.

Advair is supposed to be use regulary to avoid attacks, but I do NOT take it unless I'm having a major attack, since mine are far & few between. I start with the Vicks, then move to Advair if needed & if the attack doesn't go away in 30 plus minutes, sometimes I'll hold out for an hour, then I move to the rescue inhaler as a last resort.

I know how scary the attacks can be, especially when you can't breath or stop coughing. Also if you've had a bad cold, bronchial irritation, allergies, virus, etc, they can lead to these breathing problems. However if you pay close attention to what sets them off you can, in time, avoid them or keep them far & few between.

6. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

I use Advair- my only gripe is that it is expensive- So sometimes I go for a few weeks without using it, and I notice a huge difference.

Asthma isn't something to fool around with.. I agree with the poster who said, if your doctor said you need it.. there's a reason..

Good luck!
    Zzz

I should add that I recently switched from Effexor to Celexa. The first 2 weeks EVERYTHING tasted funny.. like metal.. then it kinda went away.. But the best thing for me on the celexa is that I'm losing weight with hardly any effort.. for me, that's a HUGE bonus.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/24/2007]
  7. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I've been on advair for about five years now (I think...that seems like longer than I remember...), and I haven't had any problems from it. My asthma is just coughing as well.

Just make sure when you take it that you rinse your mouth out because it can cause mouth infections.