Advanced Directives for each state

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TwoCatDoctors, Sep 11, 2009.

1. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I put this on the Caregivers board, but wanted to also place it here to help get the information out. Below is definitely a safe site and it provides information and forms for each state. Sometimes we do not think that an accident at work, home or on the highway could leave us in a medical condition where others care for us. These forms can help set forth your wishes if that happens. Start out by reading what is set forth for your state.

Below is a safe site that provides Advance Directives forms and information for each state. This may be of help to some.
  2. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

I try to tell people about this constantly.

I made my advance directives as soon as I realized how serious my illness was.
    I made my brother my legal healthcare surrogate, so my parents will never be in a pull-the-plug-on-your-kid situation.

I never thought about it until I was sick, but everybody needs to do it.
    Like you said, anything can happen to anybody at any time.

Thanks for the reminder!

3. jole

jole Member

I am totally amazed at how much publicity this gets...simply because in Kansas that's one of the first questions you're asked when you become a patient in a hospital. If you don't have an Advanced Directive, one is provided for you to fill out. It's been this way for at least the past 15 years, at least at the hospital I worked at.

Why is this such a big's only common sense to have one...although it doesn't give you any guarantees that your family won't override your wishes if something happens. It really just lets your wishes be known, and in the event no family is present at the time, the hospital will follow your wishes as to whether they use extraordinary means to keep you alive or not. Jole
  4. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

That's why my only advance directive, is appointing my healthcare surrogate. He knows a lot about medicine, the healthcare system, and me.

If I can't speak for myself, I've authorized him to make decisions according to his knowledge, wisdom, & compassion.

Of course, not everyone has someone they trust so completely.
    They'll have to be very specific about their wishes.

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

And I have one. There is no way I want heroic efforts to keep me technologically alive if there is no hope. Mom spoke to me of this just two weeks before she had her massive heart attack. She died peacefully. I hope I am lucky enough to die as she did. My kids know how I feel and I have the documents so they can deal with it if necessary.

All this talk of "death panels" is pure political misinformation. Living wills and directives have been around a long time. Hospitals which serve Medicare patients have been mandated to offer living wills when patients are admitted. The only thing which would change under new healthcare is that the insurance plans would pay for patients to discuss their end-of-life decisions with their docs. Deciding how one wants to die is serious and having a doctor's input can be really helpful. Money is saved when patients, like me, do not want the expensive heroic treatments which are often done in vain to avoid malpractice suits.

If Terry Shiavo had had a living will and directive, with a durable medical power of attorney, all that useless legal maneuvering and political invasion in a private matter would have been avoided. She was a young woman. It's never too early to take care of these decisions.

Love, Mikie
  6. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I want to be able to determine what I want done, and I don't want someone else to decide for me. I want to have a choice.
  7. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

The one specific thing my brother knows, is that I want hospice care, if it comes to that.
    And he won't leave me lingering on a ventilator, if "ventilate" is the only thing I'll do for the rest of my "life".

Our own death, is a subject most people simply want to avoid.
    Most people refuse to even discuss it, much less take action.

8. jole

jole Member

These are still merely "suggestions" if family is involved and they disagree. I feel my kids/husband would respect my wishes, but not all families do if the decision comes at them from a traumatic event. They can still fight this, and most docs will still side with the family. It's a very emotional time for families to deal with "end of life" issues such as no heroic measures, when a loved one is involved. I think they need to be talked to about it frequently, in a very easy-going, matter of fact way.

My wishes are for everything to be done until the time comes that it's "terminal" or I can no longer manage on my own (ventilator, etc) ..then no "heroic" measures if needed. I have a strong faith, and feel God will deal with whatever He wants from that point on.

Actually, I don't think this is what the "death panel" was about....I think it was about not giving care to the elderly or disabled due to the healthcare plan rationing care. We will be the last in line to receive care when it comes to surgeries, etc. the way it stands now. A lot of the congressmen are trying to get that changed though........Jole