adverse reaction to Garlic

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HagerTX, Mar 13, 2006.

1. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

I've have a strange hyper-sensitivity to various foods containing certain flavonoids. It started when I was a teen and would eat things with Cayenne pepper and it would make my face and scalp sweat profusely. Flavonoids are chemically similar and certain subgroups tend to aggravate me in a similar fashion. Things like cilantro and even tomato will make me sweat and then give me lower stomach trouble.

Garlic evidently has some phytochemicals and/or flavonoids, too. I took a 500mg garlic supplement yesterday afternoon and my face and scalp sweated for 2-3 hours. Very agitating. It started about 2 minutes after I took the pill.

I may just stick to the probiotics for now and see how that works.
  2. skierchik

skierchik New Member

It sounds like you're allergic. The probiotic will help keep your gut healthy. That's a good call.

My doctor gave me a protocol for fixing the mucosa...the lining of the gut. Allergies can be a sign of "gut" problems. Look under the title "rebuilding intestinal mucosa" if you want to try it. It's easy to make and you can find everything at your local natural store.

just a thought,

skierchik
  3. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

Thanks for the reply.

My body definitely has a problem with those chemicals for some reason. A few doctors said it was a severe sensitivity. I'll check that thread out--I think I'm going to focus on rebuilding the gut more. For years I've been focused on what foods to avoid--i think I've just about narrowed it down--now I need to do some things to try to rebuild.
  4. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Interesting allergy too Hager.

I love, love, LOVE, my nightshades esp. potatoes and all peppers. I ate a very spicy tomatoes sauce tonight full of extra bell peppers, YUM FOR MY TUM.

Jeanne
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Putting garlic cloves crushed against the soles of your feet under socks and see if you get the same reactiobn. Garlic can be absorbed this way. I cannot tolerate raw garlic at all but am OK wiht cooked(just)

Anne C