advice for a newbie please ......

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rickoshea, Jul 17, 2003.

1. rickoshea

rickoshea New Member

Hi all
    I was wondering if any of you could share some experiences with me regarding CFS and exercise . I was diagnosed with CFS 12 years ago with severe muscular symptoms ( aching etc ) and bad anxiety / depression symptoms , this all followed the feeling of a "blocked" ear plus dizzyness . I have steadily improved and reached a plateau which has been fairly constant for about 7 or 8 years . I now have mainly headaches ( like tension ) , sinusitis symptoms , nausea , dizzyness etc - the usual common things found in CFS ! . However my problem is that I am still unsure that I really have CFS . I have always been able to , for example , play a round of golf with little severe worsening of symptoms - a headache and sore muscles the next day , but not too severe . Plus I recently decided after a long break ( 12 years !! ) to try and play some tennis . I have had several hard one hour lessons with our local professional ( this was hard exercise , and I felt alright during it ! ) , and felt tired afterwards but OK . This OK feeling has been there for a day or two but then I seem to feel headachy , nauseous , dizzy , full , ringing ears etc again - plus the feeling of being " too alert " ( it's difficult to describe ! ) . From what I understand about CFS , I should feel absolutely exhausted for a week or two after heavy exercise like this , but I don't feel exhausted , I just have the symptoms I mentioned . Has anyone had an experience with exercise similar to this , or can give me some wisdom as to wether this is common with CFS ? . I'm sorry if this has been a bit long winded but I'm a bit concerned after reading the articles on exercise and CFS and how detrimental it can be .
    Thanks for any help and advice any of you can give me ,
    Richard
  2. sierrasioux

sierrasioux New Member

Hi. I have had fibro for over 20 years. All of my doctors have told me that the best exercise for me would be to swim-and-water arobeics---some places have classes in the water for people like us.
    I live in Az now and I always feel the best when I go to the pool that is in our addition.
    I would love to have my own pool someday and swim every day for my exercises.
    I bought a beginner's yoga tape to try also, so that would be good too---stretching is the other thing the doctors told me to do.
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Richard, welcome to the board. I can't help you, as I have FM, not CFS.

But we do have many members here with CFS. I am sure they will be able to relate to your recent experience.

Is it possible that you have been in remission, and all the symptoms you are experiencing now are from over extending your muscles?

The golf did not sound too bad, but tennis is a brutal sport for someone with CFS/FM!

Just a thought, hope one of our CFS members sees your post and may be able to relate to your questions.

Again, welcome to the board.

Shalom, Shirl