Advice from all you Moms out there!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dmariesmith, Apr 25, 2007.

1. dmariesmith

dmariesmith New Member

I have a couple of questions. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia this past December after suffering with crazy symptoms that no one believed for most of last year. I am 34. I am currently on Cymbalta; which has really helped with the aches and pains. I am also taking 50,000 IU of Vitamin D becausemy levels were so low, and now Metanx which is a B cocktail. My Dr. decided to try Requip to help my sleep(I have moderate RLS), and I got to the 7th and 8th day and would sleep until midnight and wake up with HORRIBLE RLS! And I could only doze until 5 or 6 am...has anyone experienced a reverse reaction to a medication? My other question has to do with all you Moms out there. I don't have children yet; all mine have 4 legs and a tail so far. But I really do want to have at least one! I'm trying to learn all I can and get a handle on my Fibromyalgia before I try to get pregnant. I refuse to let this rule my life!!! Do any Moms have any advice? Thank you!
    [This Message was Edited on 04/26/2007]
  2. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

I think your post is getting missed so wanted to Welcome You.

The only med I take is "Flexeril" at night before bed. Helps me sleep. I have 3 children. 1 son still at home. I have to be up early to get him off to school and mornings like today, really early, to be at the hockey rink.

I just try to stay in the same routines of having my hot bath at night, med at the same time, lights out at the same time. That helps.

I also take supplements and vitamins. Hope someone will answer you with regards to reaction to medication.

Again Welcome
    Cindy

[This Message was Edited on 04/25/2007]
  3. Iamnotmyillness

Iamnotmyillness New Member

I actually read in a few books that sometimes pregnancy can reduce some of the FM symptoms. Dont know if thats true or not because my children have also all had 4 legs and a tail, but I did see that.

I tried requip and it helped with falling asleep but wasnt so great on the staying asleep side of the equation. I take Klonopin and flexeril that works pretty well for me.

4. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

I would post your heading different and something like Need advise from moms with FMS. I am a mother and a grandmother but, I was not on medications during my pregnacy. Some so other good post about that though.
  5. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

about some moms finding pregnancy reduces their FM symptoms until after the baby is born.

It didn't work that way for me. I hadn't yet been diagnosed but had most of the FM symptoms starting before I became pregnant with my second child. It made them all worse, especially the fatigue. I was napping 4 hours a day and sleeping 10 hours a night.

And all the doctors could tell me was "of course you're tired -- you're pregnant and have a toddler at home!" They didn't get it. But then, I guess they still don't!

Best wishes,
    Janelle
  6. FMsolider

FMsolider New Member

I would say if you really want a child that desire is stronger than pain. I have a 2 yr old and FM showed up after his delivery. The begining is the worst...every two hour feedings sux for sleep even for healthy folks. .I don't believe we can ever get a handle on this illness. My advice is that the kid comes first - who cares about the housework - in a sense, as long as baby is taken care that is what counts.
  7. mujuer

mujuer New Member

of Requip. I started on a low dosage and then it stopped working and the dr. increased it weekly until I was on a theraputic level and it works great for me and i sleep thru the night. Also, don't eat ice cream, it agravates rls and causes flares. P
  8. Whiterock

Whiterock New Member

Hi I just want to say make sure you get your FM under control before getting Pregnant. And as for the sleeping
    problem! Try another type Medication........... Maybe Zoplicone? I took that one and found it worked good. Now that I have two kids 4 years and 1 year I need something to keep me awake.
  9. tandy

tandy New Member

I would'nt let Fibro stop me from becoming a Mom if thats what I really wanted.
    I have 3 boys. The first 2 I had before FM. But I had my last one at your exact age with FM in full swing. My pregnancy went well. I had less pain during and right after the birth.
    I think I found it quite hard on me when the baby started crawling and getting into everything not bolted down! LOL
    Thats when I found a gate to be my best friend~

Its a tough job, but so rewarding I would'nt change it for the world~ They always make me smile

hope this has helped,
    Tandy
    Best wishes whatever you decide :)
  10. CFS101

CFS101 New Member

I was disabled and home about a year with CFS before I became pregnant. My husband and I were not trying and I was shocked to find I was expecting - almost in disbelief that I was really going to have a baby! I was really scared not knowing if I would be able to care for my daughter after she was born let alone how I would have the stamina to give birth. I can't say my doctors were of much help at that point. No one knew what to expect.

My daughter is now 2 1/2 and a complete joy! The way we cope daily is to get as much help as we can. I am fortunate to have two lovings grandparents who never seem to tire of babysitting. I also have a super husband who gets up with baby at night and takes over when he comes home from work. I really couldn't have done this alone. Luckily I have a great support system who is there for me emotionally and physically. It's tremendously challenging balancing the CFS/FM and the needs of my daughter, to the point where some days seem endless and infinity painful. I wouldn't trade a moment of it all because I love being her mother so much.

I've had a few issues that became particularly problematic combining CFS and motherhood. The first was what to do with all the meds I was taking. During the time I was pregnant and breastfeeding I couldn't experiment with different off-label uses of prescription medications for treatment of CFS and FM. It really put any treatment, beyond graded exercise, on hold for a long time. I also couldn't find much info out there about CFS and pregnancy. That was three years ago though and hopefully you will have better success. I was seeing one CFS expert at the time who told me half the pregnant women he treated with CFS felt better during pregnancy and half felt worse. I was the exception to the rule because I felt the same level of fatigue.

My husband and I couldn't afford day care. As much as I would have like to hire help we just couldn't swing it. I have relied heavily on my family to pick up the slack. I only get a few productive hours an given day I depend on my husband and others to help - a lot. I was blessed, however, because my daughter is the best sleeper ever in the history of babies. As a newborn she wanted to sleep eight hours overnight. I needed to wake her to feed her! Once she got a little older and settled into a schedule, she slept (and still sleeps) regularly twelve hours a night. She was the best possible baby for a mom with CFS! I still sleep when she sleeps, because I need twelve hours too so that I can function the next day. We set a schedule that worked for us.

What I never expected was that my long term disability insurer terminated my benefits eight weeks after I gave birth to my daughter. I had to hire a lawyer to fight an appeal. In the insurance companies' claim file, the medical expert the insurer hired to review my case insinuated that I couldn't really be sick because I care for a two year old. I still am in the process of appealing my benefits and the next stop will be the courts if the insurance company denies me again.

I hope this is of help to you. If you decide to have a child it won't be easy certainly but you know what you can handle. Just make sure you have all the help you need in place. Talk it over with your doctors and see what they can do to help you prepare. It will make your pregnancy a lot less stressful. I think you have a little time left to decide. You may just get better on your own!
  11. dmariesmith

dmariesmith New Member

Thank you all for your responses! I am taking this year to get my handle on things...although I know I am going to have to go without most if not all prescripts through the pregnancy. But that's okay. I'll just pray I'm one of the lucky ones that the symptoms get better! I'm thinking of going to our local Aquatic Center to help with exercise and maybe the RLS...Sleeping is my toughest obstacle right now. Lunesta is GREAT, but leaves that HORRIBLE taste the whole next day. Dr said some patients had told him that eating a piece of bread with the pill helped...I think I will try that, because the Requip had opposite reaction that progressively got worse as I continued the starter pack! That really freaked me out! I am sooo glad I found this board, I have a wonderful support system for the most part with my friends and family(it was rough to start with, until I finally got a name put to it), but it's nice to have a place where everyone knows what you are going through!Thank you so very much!
  12. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I've had FM for 20 years and my kids are now 21 and 27. I care for my 2 small grandchildren when their parents are working. Through all the pain,stiffness, soreness and sleep disturbances I have always been very functional without medication. I attribute that to the fact that I was otherwise healthy and had a positive attitude. I am not a good pill taker, so I didn't want pain meds or anything. I wanted the cure! In Feb 2007 I finally found the Dr that could help me. I had viral testing and delayed food allergy testing. Ten days after starting the medication and the elimination of all the foods (22) that I tested sensitive to, I started to feel much better. You can read more about this on my previous posts by clicking on my screen name to the left. The Dr and I are optimistic that I will continue to get better. He said we develop food intolerences due to the viruses in our body. When we constantly eat the same foods over and over, we become sensitive to them. Then those foods cause pain, stiffness, bowel symptoms, migraines, mental confusion or other problems to be much worse. You can read more at www.4fibromyalgia.com and www.sagemedlab.com. I was skeptical about the foods at first, but I found out that it's absolutely true! Good luck to you.
  13. IEMom

IEMom New Member

Hi! I have had two kids since being diagnosed with FM. My son is 5 and my daughter is 1 and a half. As you can see, it took me awhile to feel ready for baby #2. While pregnant and nursing I could not take any of my regular meds. That made things very hard.

Being a mom with FM is hard. Sometimes I feel bad when we stay home all day. My kids are young but they know when mommy's muscles hurt, and they know I take meds to sleep. However, I do the best I can and make reading books in bed fun.

The good thing is that my kids keep me motivated. They keep me active, happy and positive.

More importantly, I have a husband and parents who really help out. I can depend on them when I'm hurting. My husband has hired housekeepers to clean the house every two weeks (and no, we aren't wealthy). And he doesn't mind eating take out.

It isn't impossible to be a mom with FM, but you need support. If you have family who will help, or if you can afford people to help you clean the house or babysit your kids so you can rest, you might be okay.
  14. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...to meds certainly isn't unheard of. That's where you have an opposite reaction to medication. I have this with Valium, Versed....which makes taking that type of sedative med for procedures like colonoscopy, endoscopy impossible for me.

As far as having children, I always give the example of my dear friend with Lupus, who had two children successfully several years after diagnosis (and her Lupus was not mild). She was able to continue some of her meds during pregnancy, but discontinued others that were bad for the fetus....the key thing was coordinating her Lupus care with her OB/GYN care...her doctors worked very much as a team throughout her pregnancies, which were termed "high risk" because of her Lupus. She has two very healthy kids now, 13 and 9.

I think the same is possible with FM, especially with your positive attitude of I'm not going to let this totally control my life. I got FM years past pregnancy, so I'm NOT speaking from experience. But I know others here who've done it, plus my friend's experience...it just seems that coordinating your care with doctors who are fully aware of your situation and will work WITH you to give you and your baby the best care is the key thing.

Best of luck!

Hugs,
    Pam