Advice Needed: Neighbor's Dog Barks Almost Nonstop

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by zenouchy, Oct 27, 2006.

1. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

10/27/06 12:10 PM
    Hi All!

I'm officially going NUTS! First some background: Let me start off by saying that I am a huge animal lover. Cats, dogs, fish, you name it, I love them. However, we have some neighbors that live behind us that basically neglect their dog. Or they don't control him AT ALL. At least I think so. *What do you all think?

This dog barks (VERY LOUDLY) almost non-stop day, noon, nite, appearing to only taking a break to sleep and eat. It's beyond absurd. It's awakened us at 11:30pm, 5:45am, and everything in between, not to mention barking several hours NONSTOP during the day, making it very hard to keep one's sanity. It's hard to talk on the phone, read, or do anything because the barking is so loud. It's impossible to block it out.

Concentrating on anything is a joke. As you can imagine, it only adds fuel to the fire for our illness, but even when I feel well, I can't feel peaceful in my house.

I've lived many places over the years: other homes, apartments, even a house growing up for several years in which immediately next door in which the woman RAISED dogs.

Thus far, I've reported my neighbors to the folks that manage our homes about 10 days ago. So far, all these neighbors have done is to get their dog not to wake us up in the middle of the nite (gee, thanks, that's the least you can do), but it's only been 10 days, so I'm still kind of holding my breath on that. However, it still sometimes wakes us up at 7:30 am, and staring next week, when daylight savings ends and we "fall back", that dog will start waking us up at 6:30. I'm really sick of having a loud dog alarm.

I mean jeez, we have neighbors directly to the right of us with TWO dogs, and RARELY do we have a problem with them, and if we do (it happens, no one is perfect), they are quick to correct it, and they are very apologetic.

So, my question(s): Should I call the property managers back? Or give it a little more time? Am I being reasonable?

P.S. Unfortunately, I live in a county that has very liberal rules when it comes to noise ordinances. Our police is very lax on such things, which makes it all the more frustrating. Which is why I have to take such matters up with our property manager.

Thanks so much for your thoughts and ideas. Wishing you all a peaceful, happy healthy weekend.

Much Love, Erika
    [This Message was Edited on 10/27/2006]
  2. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

it would drive me crazy. As a dog owner, that is unacceptable. Do you live in an area with a noise law? It includes animals and I would make a call.

With sensory overload problems, I could not handle it at all.
  3. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Thanks so much Rick and Sweetie for your reponses. Your ideas make perfect sense. Unfortunately, I live in a county right outside of Austin that has very liberal rules when it comes to noise ordinances. Our police is very lax on such things, and it's SO FRUSTRATING. Which is why I have to take such matters up with our property manager.

I haven't had a dog since I was about 5 years old, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something here. Based on your responses, I think I will call our property management again on Monday. Thanks again and have a happy, healthy weekend!

Erika
  4. mindbender

mindbender New Member

If U pelt the little feller with a pellet, it would solve your problem.

But if you can't do that, you have to call the police.

Dan
  5. sascha

sascha Member

i had it for my German Shepherd for a while, because she barked uncontrollably in the car.

the collar has a device that is sound activated, so when the dog barks, a small container emits a spray of citronella (totally harmless). it was amazingly effective while i used it.

pet shops should carry this item. good luck- Sascha
  6. chickadee

chickadee New Member

however, if it's not your dog, you may not be able to put a collar on it. One of my neighbors had the same problem you are having and he bought a whistle that he could blow and humans can't hear it but dogs can. (Dogs were on the other side of him so they didn't bother me.)

The whistle worked like a charm - within two days they stopped barking.

I'm not sure where he got the whistle but you might ask at a Pet supply store.

Peace,
    Chickadee
  7. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Dan, how tempting it's been to throw a few little pellets at him. Not ALL dogs. Just that one! Sascha, I wish the owner would take some responsibility for their dog and get him a collar to shush him up. Sounds like a great product.

Chickadee, I heard something about a whistle online. Awesome idea, but unfortunately it was PRICEY. Like $80 to $100, and I'm not paying that for a neighbor who can't control their dog, ya know? I inquired also at pet stores, and they didn't carry it.

When our neighbors are home on weekends and the dog is barking, they don't even tell him to be quiet...instead they say "ahhhh!", like he's a cute little baby or something. They're not too swift that's for sure!

Hopefully our property managers will come through when I call back next week. They've already sent one warning letter. If they send another one, the neighbors have to pay a fine, and surely they will start to get a hint. Let's hope!

Thanks for so much everyone for responding! Erika :)
  8. millennia

millennia New Member

I live across the street from police headquarters in NYC and people scream at the top of their lungs and blast music at 4 AM and I've never seen a cop even say anything to them.

But I have a vice, some people drink or take drugs to cope, my vice is poetry. So here is the perfect poem for your situation (by the former U.S. poet laureate).

Sometimes it helps to find a little humor in the situation, then call the property managers (Hey, I'm not saying laugh it off and do nothing!).

Another Reason Why I Don't Keep A Gun In The House

The neighbors' dog will not stop barking.
    He is barking the same high, rhythmic bark
    that he barks every time they leave the house.
    They must switch him on on their way out.

The neighbors' dog will not stop barking.
    I close all the windows in the house
    and put on a Beethoven symphony full blast
    but I can still hear him muffled under the music,
    barking, barking, barking,

and now I can see him sitting in the orchestra,
    his head raised confidently as if Beethoven
    had included a part for barking dog.

When the record finally ends he is still barking,
    sitting there in the oboe section barking,
    his eyes fixed on the conductor who is
    entreating him with his baton

while the other musicians listen in respectful
    silence to the famous barking dog solo,
    that endless coda that first established
    Beethoven as an innovative genius.

Billy Collins

9. spacee

spacee Member

Yes, those dear neighbors with the BARKING DOGS!!! I had one neighbor who put their dogs in a pen out by our lot and went to work and guess what those dogs did all day.

Then, we had some neighbors who moved here from Alaska and their dog had never seen a squirrel before. They thought it was so precious how he could bark nonstop at the squirrel in the tree all day.

This all went on by my bedroom window. Someone on this board suggested a noisy fan and earplugs. Miracle workers. I need to post that under what has helped me the most.

I know that won't be the answer to your problem since you can hear them in the day. But I am sorry for you. Our county is liberal too about noise.

Hugs,

Spacee
  10. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Millenia,

That is a GREAT poem! Sounds like whoever wrote the poem can relate. Poetry is a wonderful vice to have.

Girl, I've laughed, cried and then some! And nicknamed the dog Sparky for his spunky, high-pitched yelp. I've gone outside and told him to shut up, imitated his yelp, pounded on my window, and just about anything else you can imagine. I go pretty cuckoo when I don't sleep, and his yelp just makes it worse.

Thanks for the levity. That's awesome. How do you like NYC? Have you lived there for a long time? I have a cousin that grew up in Memphis but now lives in Manhattan. Quite a switch!

All the best, Erika
  11. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Indeed, we are a noisy country, eh? Unfortunately, this dog is noisier than my fan and earplugs at night and he of course barks all day, except when he takes a nap or eats. One wonders how some people can be so rude and oblivious? Thanks for posting!

Much love, Erika
  12. charlenef

charlenef New Member

got dressed and knocked on the door at 4:30 am if that dont work call animal control. charlene
  13. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

Hello!

I have been living with the same problem now for three or four years. I can't remember exactly when my neighbors moved in but I think it is coming up on four years now.

Anyway, they have three dogs and the dogs are of course outside dogs. So what do they do all day and night to keep themselves occupied?

ruff ruff, ar ar ar ar ar, arf, growl, arf arf arf, hooowwwl, arf arf arf arf, growl, ruff ruff, arf arf, growl, arf arf arf, ar ar ar ar ar ar, ruff ruff, hooowl, ruff ruff, growl, growl, arf arf arf arf arf arf arf, ruff ruff, ar ar ar ar, ruff ruff ruff, arf arf, hooowwwl, hoowwl, hoooooowwwwwwwl, arf arf.......

I have inspiration as I am listening to them right now! :)

After the people first moved in my husband and I nicely mentioned to our neighbors when we were both out doing yard work or checking mail that their dogs barking kept us up or bothered us.

Now keep in mind I am from Alabama so this is how their reply went. "Wull, dats wut dogs dooo, dey bark."

I could have slapped the man right then and there but I was nice and respectful given he is a man of God. Yes, you heard me right! This guy is a preacher!

He is a preacher and is inconsiderate of his neighbors and neglects his dogs!

One night we finally had enough. I couldn't take it anymore and my husband had an important meeting the next day. So I called over to their house and asked them to please keep their dogs quite because we needed our sleep.

They had the nerve to ask us which dog was the one barking! I said that I didn't know! They were their dogs. I didn't know which one barked which way!

Well the preacher then called back and said a few choice words and threatened to kick my husbands teeth in.

Yes, you heard me correctly, again!

My husband and I were so floored that a preacher of all people would act like this. We actually thought about sending letters to some of the people in his congregation to let them know just how he was acting.

The dogs are still to this day barking! We of course can't confront our neighbors because we are threatened with physical force. And believe me around here a preacher's word will be heard first rather then ours.

This guy has made fun of our religion to our face too but still to the police he is a preacher and he will look like the good guy! Believe me that is just how it is down here. When really this guy is a jerk who just puts on a front!

So what we did is we bought a Barker Breaker. What it did was every time the dogs barked it sent out this frequency that only the dogs could here and they didn't like it.

However, the thing wasn't waterproof like the box said it was so it didn't last very long.

Now we just use a little old dog whistle that we got at a pet store. I think it cost about $5 or somewhere around there.

Sometimes it works and most of the time it doesn't. For awhile there I thought it did but I was just fooled.

We are thank goodness putting our house up for sale soon and hopefully the dogs will shut up enough for someone to buy our home.

It is just ridiculous because since these people have moved in we haven't been able to go out in our backyard. LITERALLY! If we even step out onto our porch the dogs go flipping mad! It is just plain crazy!

Our son is almost nine months old and we have to find a home where we can spend time in the backyard!

I have decided though that when we move I am going to send a letter letting them know that they are one of the reasons we have decided to move.

There is nothing that the police can do about our situation either because we live out in the county and we do not have noise ordinances out here.

Okay well sorry this was so long but now I need to go eat dinner. I just wanted you to know that you were alone.

Good luck!

kate

One more thing...as someone else mentioned it just astounds me that the barking doesn't bother the owners of these dogs! Why can't they hear their own dogs? I just don't get it.

It is an invasion of privacy into someone elses home and I think there really should be laws no matter where you live!
  14. millennia

millennia New Member

I've lived in NY my whole life, but have only been in Manhattan 3 years. We're actually looking to move, Northern California or Arizona.

I love NY, but my neighborhood is very loud. And NY is so expensive. But my real complaint is the cold. I hate Winter. It is already so cold here, we have the heat blasting, but it is so cold outside. I keep telling the DH that we should just move in with his Dad in AZ til we find our own place.

My mother's dogs bark during the day sometimes, when we put them out during dinner. The neighbors spray them with water. A little mean, but it shuts them up. I try to be so considerate of my neighbors, I don't get people like that!
  15. PVLady

PVLady New Member

First, I feel sorry for the dog!! These people are clearly neglecting the dog. He is lonely, or hungry or whatever.

I have dogs and they never, ever bark and disturb the neighbors.

Can you see if the dog is tied up with no water or worse? I would be very curious.

If you see they are not taking care of the dog call the humane society and report them.

Something is wrong... the poor dog needs new, responsible owners. They must be leaving him outside all the time. Dogs need companionship, food, water, and love.

They will bark and cry for help if abandoned. This is very sad.

Why would anyone suggest shooting this poor animal with a BB gun. The owners need to be shot in the butt with the BB Gun.

It would be better for the dogs to be given to someone who knows how to take care of animals. If you can't take care of them and you think they should be left in the yard alone all day, you don't need animals.
  16. lv2sing

lv2sing New Member

I wouldn't even bother w/ re-calling the people you already talked to..I would IMMEDIATELY -as in tomorrow, call the local animal shelter or humane society & tell them you think a dog is being mistreated. If it barks ALL day, something is not right. It's not getting something...food, water, attention, exercise, or it's tied up all the time. It may not have appropriate shelter, or worse. I don't know that I would even tell them when calling about the extent of non-stop barking. I would call & tell them you are concerned about a dog that may need assistance, & could they go & take a look at it. Mention that it barks alot, but don't make it sound as if that is all it is, that way they might be more apt to take it seriously.
    Good luck, for you AND the dog. Who knows, it may be starving or something..
  17. blueski31717

blueski31717 New Member

First I would send a certified letter to both the manager and the owner of the dog letting them know the dog-dogs were being disruptive at all hours of the day / night.

I would also explain to them that if the noise did not stop I would then have no choice but to seek legal advise...

Most times just by suggesting a law suit the matter will be resolved.

If that didn't work thennnnn

I would just have to make noise when they are sleeping and maybe when the dog barks go knocking on their door, when they answer just say ' OH, i JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW YOUR DOG IS BARKING."...If you wake them up enough they might do something..
    [This Message was Edited on 10/28/2006]
  18. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Are you in Williamson County? I also live outside of Austin, TX and have 3 horrible dogs barking behind my property.

There is a device called a barksolver. You can set it on ultrasonic so you don't hear the high pitch. The device is triggered by continuous barking. I think there is a sensitivity selector button on the device.

Also, my son found a legal prescedent for taking the homeowner to court for a barking dog at night.

I am placing an order with PetEdge within the next few weeks. If you are interested, you can place your order for the bark solver with my order and save a huge chunck of handling fees on your small order.
  19. blonderescue

blonderescue New Member

Hi Zenouchy,

I totally understand you being upset by your neighbors lack of control over their barking dog.

As a fellow sufferer, I know sleep is more important than just about anything else - so this situation has to be addressed or you have to move. If not, you could possibly go mad!

You could try putting an anonymous (we don't know how the neighbour will react) letter in the letterbox requesting some hound quieting.

Not sure what else to do, except contact Council/District Office, Dog Catcher and ask if there are things that can be done, or RSPCA (not sure what american equivalent is - society for protection/against cruelty of animals - who may talk to the neighbour as the dog would have to be neglected to be barking so much. I have a dog, it doesn't bark, it doesn't bother other people. I walk it. If I can't walk it, I pat it now and again. I make sure it is not neglected. Neglected animals are unhappy and bark regularly, dig the garden, break out of their back yards and generally cause havoc.

Hope this helps.

Hugs

xxx

Kaz

20. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

In our previous home the next door neighbor dog barked almost 24/7. I would run a box fan at night to block out the barking so I could sleep.

But talking to the lady did no good at all. She wasn't a very nice person and could care less. So we eventually moved to a nicer subdivision.

Now there are a lot of dogs out here, but because of all the trees and wooded areas the sound doesn't carry like it did at the previous house, so the barking isn't bad.

There are two dogs across the street and if they are let out in the yard they will bark at every single thing. I don't know if they are kept in the garage or the house. They are big labs.

I wouldn't advise moving to get away from the barking, but that is one reason we decided to move in 1988 to here.

Hugs,
    Faye