Advice needed on applying for SSDI

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by OWWEE, Feb 12, 2006.

1. OWWEE

OWWEE New Member

Okay maybe I can keep my thoughts straight long enough to post this -- fingers crossed.

I am planning on applying for SSDI, in fact working on getting the infor together they want on the application.

This is especially for anyone who has applied and fought them. Do you think you are better off:

1. filing on your own, most likely getting denied, and then hiring a firm like allsup or social services coordinators for the appeals,

2. or do you think it is better just starting out with a firm like that from the beginning,

3. or filing, getting denied, and then getting a lawyer.

I know I am going to be right on their borderline but I am advanced age (55+, where the hell do they get that, i thought advanced age was like 80) so that will be in my favor.

I had barely been hanging onto a job but gave up on that because I just couldn;t concentrate and trust myself anymore. I did medical transcription for a long time but i was going over reports 3-4 times to make sure there were no errors, think i had myself worked into "error anxiety" and then I would not remember if i had reviewed it before i sent it in so i would do it again -- I just could not reconcile myself to possibly making a major error on somebody's medical record. Besides my hands and wrists and elbows were hurting a lot, especially fingers with spasm-like pain, and my hips are killing me when i sit for too long. Anyway, I could go on for pages about my symptoms. Couldn;t we all.

So would appreciate anyone's opinion on the best approach for ssdi or advice you might have. I am in florida -- i believe some states may have different rules.

Thanks.
  2. OWWEE

OWWEE New Member

I know it will be a long drawn out process, i've been figuring at least two years. I think i will go ahead and start it myself, then hire the attorney after the inevitable denial. hoping my age will put me over but who knows. Well good luck with yours, hang in there.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/13/2006]
  3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i would look up the symptomsof fibro/cfs look at the list and write down what you have...you just surprise yourself as to things that bohter you are related to fibro/cfs...you need to think back to childhood any surgeries and illiness..shingles? athsma? blood diseases? migraines and dailty headaches...

good luck

jdoie
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

There are some things to make sure to include that will help you get disability - namely letters from your doctor(s) as to why you should be disabled... and letters from those that know you and have seen the changes in you.

If you're seeing a psychologist, make sure to also get a letter from him/her as well; if you're not, and you are feeling depresed about all of this (and who isn't!), go see one; even if they disable you for depression rather than Fibro, at least you'll have gotten SSD... Actually it is often easier to be disabled for mental health reasons rather than physical... have known a quadriplegic to be turned down, even, altho there was no physical work this person could do.

And also ask for copies of all your records for the last 6 months or more so you can have them when you go in to apply - saves time as your file will be complete, plus you can check them for errors and get corrections if necessary prior to your appointment.

You might be very unpleasantly surprised to find out what has been written by some of the doctors, altho I hope not.

Also, if you see errors, when you see your doctors, start tape recording sessions, that way you can prove what you said, etc. - you can always say it is for your self as you have problems remembering what is said...

I am filing for my son for SSI and I am amazed at how misrepresented much of what he and I said was misquoted and given a totally different slant by the clinic we are paying out of pocket... I wish I'd taped it! but now am taping all sessions, the doctors don't have a problem with it...getting his records corrected may be a different question.

We did do this when my husband applied for SSD and pvt insurance disability - we video and/or audio taped the app'ts that his pvt insurance disability sent him to, and it kept things 'straight', and he had no problems getting SSD as well as his pvt insurance. This was after an insurance co. rep visited and totally misrepresented what was said, outright lied in fact.

We should've known better even at the start as DH was a psychologist and worked with many worker's comp pts with chronic pain who had problems with both worker's comp insurance and SSD.

The other thing is, if you get denied or it is taking too long to process, you can write to your local and state elected representatives - they are elected by you the voter/taxpayer and work for YOU - and they will contact SS on your behalf;

it is amazing how fast things can start moving when that happens! As I said, DH used to be a psychologist, when he told his worker's comp pts to do this after their cases had been languishing for literally years!, the time period was always cut WAY down. Often their elected officials knew/got things from SS on the cases before his pts' lawyers!

hope this helps,
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 02/13/2006]
  5. mjwarchol

mjwarchol New Member

Hi OWEEE:
    I too went through the same debate. I finally decided to let Allsup file for me. I figured it would be denied the first time, and I actually just got my denial two weeks ago.

My thoughts were that the initial application will follow you through all the stages. I wanted that to be complete and not have anything come back and haunt me so to speak. I felt that they might know things to include that are so second nature to me that I never would think about it,therefore omiting things that may be important.

We just went through the apeal questions on the phone last week and now I am in that phase. None of the attorneys I called would talk to me until after I have been denied. I wanted advice before the application for the reasons I stated above. That is why I went the route I did.

I hope it helps you. Best of luck.

M J
  6. shmilycsc

shmilycsc New Member

MY ADVICE WOULD BE TO NOT GIVE UP.DONT LET THEM WEAR YOU DOWN.I APPLIED IN MARCH OF 2003. I GOT MY FIRST DENIAL.THE HOSPITAL THAT I WORKED FOR HIRED ALLSUP TO REPRESENT ME. IT HAS BEEN A LONG LONG PROCESS. I WENT BEFORE THE ALJ AND I GOT MY NOTICE IN DECEMBER THAT I HAVE WON. AM EXPECTING MY BACK PAY ANY TIME NOW... NOT THAT IT IS GOING TO DO ME ANY GOOD, I AM ON LTD, AND I WILL PAY IT ALL BACK TO THEM. BUT I AM THANKFUL.
    DONT LET THEM TAKE AWAY WHAT IS ALREADY YOURS.

I PRAY YOU GET A FULLY FAVORABLE DECISION,
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

I am also of advanced age (55!). I completed my own application with no advice or help from anyone.

I was surprised with I won on my very first try! It took only 4 months for me to be notified that I was awarded it!

So, I recommend going for it by yourself the first try - save your money from hiring anyone.

I sent them a lot of info. I also had some of my coworkers who were supervisors, managers, etc. that I had worked with for over 20 years to write letters on how great my past working ability was, how they recognized my health deterioriting and my job suffering for it, etc.

I also list every illness and problem that I had, because when you add them all up, you feel like crap and not able to work (see my bio for my illnesses--and I added more stuff to my application).

I also helped my sister write all of her symptoms down for her to include in her write up of why she was filing for disability--here is a copy of hers:

(1) Coughing. The severe coughing attacks occur all day long as well as all during the night due to COPD. The cough is so uncontrollably violent that I can not catch my breath, not mention to talk. I feel like I am suffocating and can not get any air and that I am going to die if I cannot catch a breath immediately. Coughing so much causes terrible chest pains and leaves my chest painful for hours after the coughing spell. The coughing spells also cause dizziness, a flushed feeling that overwhelms me with heat and severe perspiration, followed by a feeling of extreme weakness. Then, another attack occurs. The cycle just keeps repeating itself. I have been out in public where I have coughed so hard that I vomited. (The change in temperatures from inside to outside, to the car, etc., always results in a coughing fit that lasts up to 15 minutes. Every cough results in urine leakage, or more than just a leak, and passing of gas, which are discussed below.) I have been diagnosed with COPD.

(2) Shortness of Breath. The shortness of breath causes many of the same feelings as the coughing does--I feel like I am suffocating and can not get any air and that I am going to die if I cannot catch a breath immediately. The shortness of breath always happens during and following a coughing spell. In addition to COPD, I have also been diagnosed with Asthma. After any exertion, I am out of breath. The feeling of helplessness is overwhelming when I am unable to breathe and feel like I just took my last breath. My weight also contributed to my shortness of breath. I currently weigh 260 lbs. and carry a lot of weight in my chest and stomach creating difficulty in breathing.

(3) Chest Pains . As described above, my chronic coughing causes me terrible chest pains and leaves my chest painful for hours after the coughing spell. The chest pains are so painful that my doctor had me take numerous heart tests as well undergo a heart catherization for him to be certain that the chest pains were as a result of the chronic coughing and not from a heart problem.

(4) Pain. Affected areas are neck, shoulders, arms, wrists, hands and fingers, lower back, hips, legs, knees, ankles, and feet. Pain is excruciating and incapacitates me. My pain level is intolerable at times. I hurt so badly that I cry many times a day. My hands and wrists hurt so badly that I can’t even peel potatoes or thread a needle. I used to be good at using a ten-key calculator-— can't even do that now. My arms and shoulders hurt to terribly that I can’t hold a hair dryer to dry my hair, let alone try to use a curling iron. I can’t hold my arms up long enough to change a light bulb in my house. (Bad example, because I can’t change a light bulb anyway, because I can not get up on a stool and stand up long enough.) I stay in a wheelchair about 90% of the time. Wheeling myself around the house worsens the pain in my hands, arms, and shoulders. I am in constant pain. My lower back causes me so much pain that I can not stand up more than 5 minutes and can not walk more than a few steps. My weight aggravates the pain in my lumbar spine and legs and feet.

(5) Joint Pain. My joints are affected my arthritis which cause s great stiffness and soreness in addition to the pain. It is hard to move around due to being so stiff and aching in all my joints. Sometimes my fingers and hands are swollen and not easily moveable. Being confined to a wheelchair intensifies the stiffness, soreness, and pain.

(6) Muscle Pain. I have this deep muscular aching, burning, gnawing, throbbing, shooting, stabbing, fibromyalgia-type pain that hurts every muscle in my body every minute of the day and night.

(7) Inability to Sleep. I feel like I have been run over by a Mack truck or a semi all of the time. This feeling comes from a combination of my symptoms—the inability to obtain quality sleep as well as my constant fatigue, weakness, and pain. I have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep, as well as trouble breathing while lying in bed. Pain wakes me up when I do finally fall asleep and I must continually toss and turn to find a position where a part of my body is not in pain. Coughing spells also wake me up and keep me awake. I have to continually get up to go to the bathroom. I find it hard to stay awake and concentrate the following day due to not enough quality sleep—my head always feels “spacey” and fuzzy—and my eyes burn. I have been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea and sleep with a CPAP machine and oxygen.

(8) Fatigue and Weakness. I feel like the fatigue has sucked the entire life out of my body. It is overwhelming and debilitating. I feel like I do not have enough energy or strength to stand up or walk even if I could do that without pain. I have been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

(9) Inability to Walk and Stand. I use a wheelchair 90% of the time. Can only walk a few steps at a time and can not stand more than 5 minutes at a time. How does this symptom make me feel? Awful. I can’t walk and stand due to a combination of my problems-—the pain in my low back; the pain in my legs, knees, and feet; and my weight. One of the reasons that I have to use a wheelchair is pain, and then using the wheelchair causes more pain (in my upper body and stiffness/soreness). This inability of walking and standing on my feet also adds to my depression and anxiety. I feel like I am trapped in my home.

(10) Cognitive Dysfunction. I can not concentrate on anything. I have trouble with short-term and long-term memory. I go into a room to get something and can’t remember why I went into that room. My head feels so fuzzy all of the time that I cannot drive many times—my brain feels as fatigued as my body. I feel dizzy and lightheaded a lot due to lack of quality sleep.

(11) Depression. I don’t like being depressed. But I can’t help myself. I can’t seem to overcome these feelings. I am physically and mentally not able to work. This has created quite a financial burden for my family and me. The amount of pain that I must tolerate each day depresses me, as does my problem with urinary incontinence. Not being able to go anywhere because of the urinary urgency, leakage, and worry about an offending odor is depressing. When you have urgency and are unable to move quickly, like I am, is a problem. Waking up every day after not being able to sleep, not being able to quit coughing long enough to breathe, to overcome the feeling that you can die when you can’t breathe, and the feeling of hopelessness is depressing. Having to continually ask my family and friends to help me do things, to help cook for me, to take me places, to clean my house, and to help me financially is depressing. Being extremely overweight is more than just depressing.

(12) Anxiety. The feelings of anxiety make me feel like those that make me depressed. I hate to go the grocery store because I am afraid of dropping things before I get them in my basket. My hands and arms are so weak at times, that I drop a lot of stuff. (I also have been diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome that probably contributes to the wrist/arm weakness.) I am also afraid that I might have a problem with my urinary incontinence, not be able to make it to a public restroom in time, and end up wetting myself. The embarrassment and humiliation would be too much for me to bear. I get overly anxious about what people will think about me due to my size. I am so afraid of snide comments, jokes, stares, etc. that I sometimes get afraid to leave my house and/or answer my door. Also contributing to my anxiety is my inability to be able to work and provide for my family as well as the financial burdens it has placed on my family and me. I have had to sell most all of my possessions. My quality of life is going downhill fast. My level of anxiety seriously limits my daily activities.

(13) Urinary Incontinence. I have daily spasms and bladder irritability causing urinary urgency and extreme incontinence. This makes me very depressed and adds to my level of anxiety as explained above. In addition to the financial burden already upon me by not being physically and mentally able to work, the cost of products for my incontinence (feminine pads and diapers) is astronomical. I have had surgery and done exercises, but neither has helped. When I was in the workplace, urinary incontinence is a most distressing, embarrassing, and humiliating problem. It’s nearly impossible to wait for the scheduled break times in any job I’ve had for the last several years. I’ve had accidents on the upholstered chairs at my workstations, and, in a previous position, I was certain that it played a factor in my lay-off. I wear a urinary pad at all times and a diaper when I go to bed. During my last two years without being able to work and receiving only $305.00 a month from welfare, I’m forced to not to leave my home for this reason as well, because I had no money to get pads or diapers. I can not begin to describe the horror this condition played on me when I had each knee replaced. I don’t visit family or friends, eat out, or even drive 80 minutes to see my own daughter for I know I can’t make it there. I don’t have company because my furniture and bed constantly smell of urine. I’ve had three bladder surgeries, even stapled it to my spine to no avail. I’ve begged my doctor just to catheter me for good but they say diapers are my best bet. I’m sure they can afford that – I cannot. Most depressing is that I fear intimacy and the companionship of a man, so I have no sex life whatsoever. In addition, wearing a pad 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and sitting in a wet pad has produced skin irritations that I have to continually treat and have even had to have an abscess surgically removed.

(14) Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I have chronic diarrhea and constipation, abdominal pain, abdominal gas, and nausea. These problems combined with my urinary incontinence make it extremely hard for me to leave my house. I can not move well, or quickly, and it is hard to find a public restroom at the exact minute that I need one.

(15) Headaches. I have recurrent migraine and tension-type headaches. I have a headache at least three days a week. I get headaches that seem like the come straight up my back, between my shoulder blades, and neck. They make my neck and the back of my head hurt so extremely bad that I think my head is going to explode. Many of the headaches that I get are the “sick” headaches that have me vomiting. I must stay in bed in a dark, quiet room to get rid of them. The light, noise, and movement make me sick.

(16) TMJ in Jaw. I feel pain in my jaws (in the joint under my ears) when I eat and open my mouth wide. I also experience dizziness at times.

(17) Circulatory Sensitivity to Temperature and Moisture. Hands, arms, feet, legs, and face tingle and become numb, like in Raynauds Syndrome and Neuropathy.

(18) Hearing Loss. I have experienced a hearing loss and have problems hearing what people tell me. I ask people to repeat what they have said so many times, that it is embarrassing Then, after they repeat what they said, I can’t remember what they said to do.

(19) Morbid Obesity. I currently weigh 360 lbs. and carry a lot of weight in my chest and stomach creating difficulty in breathing. My weight also puts a burden on my frame and artificial knees which causes severe back, hip, leg, and feet pain. It is extremely painful for me to stand on my feet to transfer from my wheelchair to my walker to get to places in my house where the wheelchair will no go (like the bathroom). In order to cook, I must transfer to a 4-foot stool so that I can reach the stove (my wheelchair is to low). It is hard to contain my excess weight and balance on a stool, and painful for my back to try to climb on to the stool. It is hard to go out in a public place and find seating and other accommodations to fit my frame.

(20) Acid Reflux. Although GERD (acid reflux) is not disabling by itself, it causes me great discomfort and contributes to my stress level. If I do not take my medication prescribed for this problem, I have constant heartburn, stomach burning, and nausea.

Hope this helped.

Hugs,
    Janet
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

Also, on my application, I had a lot of "see attached sheet" for the questions and had them all typed out in a Word document so that it was more easily read.

There is another post going now that included this medical evaluation form. If you took some of these questions and worked them into your "Problems", it would help.

For example:

In question 15.b.: "How long can your patient continually sit, stand and walk at one time:"

Indicate as one of your Problems:

"I can not stand up for longer than 20 minutes without experiencing severe pain in my legs. Also, I can not walk for longer than XXX without the leg spasms becoming so severe that I must sit down. When sitting longer than XXX my legs begin to cause me pain and I must get up to move them."

Note: this was just an example.

SSA needs to know WHY YOU CAN'T WORK. What do you have wrong with you that is so disabling that you can not work -- then you have to prove it to them in words -- give them examples -- they will obtain your doctor's records for the medical proof.

Hope this additional info has helped.

Here is this medical eval. form that is supposed to be sent to doctors for completion:

Fibromyalgia Medical Evaluation Form

To: _______________________________________________________

Fibromyalgia Medical Evaluation

Patient's Name:

Social Security Number and/or Claim Number:

Please answer the following questions concerning your patient's impairments:

1. Nature, frequency, and length of contact:

2. Does your patient meet the American Rheumatological criteria for Fibromyalgia?

Yes ___ No ___

3. List any other diagnosed impairments:

4. Prognosis:

5. Have your patient's impairments lasted or can they be expected to last at least 12 months?

Yes ___ No ___

6. Identify the clinical findings, laboratory, and test results which show your client's medical impairments:

7. Identify all of your patient's symptoms:

Multiple Tender Points ____ Numbness and Tingling ____
    Non-restorative Sleep ____ Sicca Symptoms ____
    Chronic Fatigue ____ Raynaud's Phenomenon ____
    Morning Stiffness ____ Dysmenorrhea ____
    Subjective Swelling ____ Anxiety ____
    Irritable Bowel Syndrome ____ Panic Attacks ____
    Depression ____ Frequent Severe Headaches ____
    Mitral Valve Prolapse ____ Female Urethral Syndrome ____
    Hypothyroidism ____ Premenstrual Syndrome ____
    Vestibular Dysfunction ____ Carpal Tunnel Syndrome ____
    Incoordination ____ Chronic Fatigue Syndrome ____
    Cognitive Impairment ____ TMJ Dysfunction ____
    Myofascial Pain Syndrome ____ Multiple Trigger Points ____

8. If your patient has pain:

a: Identify the location of pain, including (where appropriate) an indication of right or left side, or bilateral areas affected:

Lumbosacral: Spine ___ Cervical Spine ___ Thoracic Spine ___ Chest ___
    Shoulders: Right ___ Left ___ Bilateral ___
    Arms: Right ___ Left ___ Bilateral ___
    Hands/fingers: Right ___ Left ___ Bilateral ___
    Hips: Right ___ Left ___ Bilateral ___
    Leg: Right ___ Left ___ Bilateral ___
    Knees: Right ___ Left ___ Bilateral ___
    Ankles: Right ___ Left ___ Bilateral ___
    Feet: Right ___ Left ___ Bilateral ___

b: Describe the nature, frequency, and severity of your patient's pain:

c: Identify any factors that precipitate pain:

Changing weather ___ Fatigue ___
    Movement/overuse ___ Stress ___
    Hormonal Changes ___ Cold ___
    Humidity ___ Heat ___
    Allergy ___ Static position ___
    Other _________________________________

9. Is your patient a malingerer?

Yes ___ No ___

10. Do emotional factors contribute to the severity of your patient's symptoms and functional limitations?

Yes ___ No ___

11. Are your patient's physical impairments plus any emotional impairments reasonably consistent with symptoms and functional limitations described in this evaluation:

Yes ___ No ___

12. How often is your patient's experience of pain sufficiently severe to interfere with attention and concentration?

Never ___
    Seldom ___
    Often ___
    Frequently ___
    Constantly ___

13. To what degree is your patient limited in the ability to deal with work stress?

No Limitation ___
    Slight Limitation ___
    Moderate Limitation ___
    Marked Limitation ___
    Severe Limitation ___

14. Identify the side effects of any medication which may have implications for working, e.g. dizziness, drowsiness, stomach upset, etc.

15. As a result of your patient's impairments, estimate your patient's functional limitations if your patient were placed in a competitive work situation:

a: How many city blocks can your patient walk without rest or severe pain?

Comment:

b: How long can your patient continually sit, stand, and walk at one time:

Sit Stand Walk
    ___ ___ ___ Less than 2 hours
    ___ ___ ___ 3 hours
    ___ ___ ___ 4 hours
    ___ ___ ___ 5 hours
    ___ ___ ___ 6 hours

c: Does your patient need to include periods of walking during an 8 hour day?

Yes ___ No ___

d: Does your patient need a job which permits shifting positions at will from sitting, standing, or walking?

Yes ___ No ___

e: Will your patient sometimes need to lie down at unpredictable intervals during a work shift?

Yes ___ No ___

f: With prolonged sitting, should your patient's legs be elevated?

Yes ___ No ___ Cannot tolerate prolonged sitting ___

g: While engaged in occasional standing/walking, must your patient use a cane or other assistive device?

Yes ___ No ___ Sometimes ___

h: How many pounds can your patient carry in a competitive work situation in an average workday?

"Occasionally" means less than 1/3 of the workday.

"Frequently" means between 1/3 and 2/3 of the workday.

Never Occasionally Frequently
    Less than 10 pounds ___ ___ ___
    11 to 20 pounds ___ ___ ___
    21 to 30 pounds ___ ___ ___
    31 to 50 pounds ___ ___ ___

i: Does your patient have any significant limitations in:

Reaching Yes ___ No ___ Sometimes ___
    Handling Yes ___ No ___ Sometimes ___
    Fingering Yes ___ No ___ Sometimes ___

If yes, please indicate the percentage of time during a workday on a competitive job that your patient can use hands/fingers/arms for the following repetitive activities:

HANDS (grasp, turn, twist objects)

Right ___% Left ___%
    FINGERS (fine manipulation)

Right ___% Left ___%
    ARMS (reaching - including overhead)
    Right ___% Left ___%

j: Does your patient have the ability to bend and twist at the waist:

Not at all ___
    Occasionally ___
    Frequently ___

k: On the average, how often do you anticipate that your patient's impairments and treatments or treatment would cause the patient to be absent from work?

Never ___
    Less than once a month ___
    About once a month ___
    About twice a month ___
    About three times a month ___
    More than three times a month ___

16. Please describe any other limitations that would affect this patient's ability to work at a regular job on a sustained basis:

17. Does your patient have:

Headaches ___ Migraines ___
    Morning Stiffness ___ Weakness ___
    Shortness of Breath ___ Dizziness ___
    Pelvic Pain ___ Nausea ___
    Leg Cramps ___ Sciatica ___
    Lack of Endurance ___ Anxiety ___
    Buckling Ankles ___ Sleep Deprivation ___
    Muscle Twitching ___ Fatigue ___
    Problems Climbing Stairs ___ Reflux Esophagitis ___
    Handwriting Difficulties ___ Cramps ___
    Visual Perception problems ___ Confusional Status ___
    Motor Coordination Problems ___ Mood Swings ___
    Buckling Knees ___ Panic Attacks ___
    Numbness/Tingling ___ Memory Impairment ___
    Irritability ___ Speech Difficulties ___
    Sensitivity to
    Cold ___ Heat ___ Light ___ Humidity ___ Other ___

Date: _______________________

Doctor Signature:

Print/Type Name:

Address:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's rather lengthy but my friend swears it helped her get SSDI with Fibromyalgia.

9. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Before I applied, I contacted an attorney who specialized in SSD. Their office told me to apply first on my own. Then, if denied, to contact them.

So I applied, was denied, and then contacted them! They filed an appeal, which is something I could not have done on my own.

After quite a long time I had a hearing before a judge, and eventually received a partial award. Now I'm in another appeal process, but in the meantime am receiving benefits and Medicare.

If you do seek an attorney, I suggest finding one who specialized in SSD. You do not have to pay unless you win, and their fees come out of your back award.

Best wishes,
    Hopeful4
  10. OWWEE

OWWEE New Member

Gosh, thanks so much everyone for the advice, info, and your personal stories. The form is great. that needs to be stuck at the top of this forum.

Thanks again everyone, you've given me a lot of food for thought.
    ETA, i'm also feeling a lot more positive about the process thanks to your replies. [This Message was Edited on 02/14/2006]
  11. rainbowgc

rainbowgc New Member

I read that once you are over 50 SSDI is much easier to get.
    Erika
  12. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

For some excellent advice on how to win SSD, please see articles by Scott Davis. He's an attorney specializing in SSD.

You can find a list of his articles at:
    http://www2.rpa.net/~lrandall/disabled.html
    or
    google Scott Davis disability

Some of his articles are right here at ProHealth, click on Library tab, then search.

Here is a listing of the articles:

Filing For Disability

The moral test of government is how it treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the aged; and those who are in the shadows of life, the sick, the needy and the handicapped. - Hubert H. Humphrey

Listing of Impairments
    The Social Security Administration's Listing of Impairments. A section-by-section description of requirements for Social Security disability benefits for adults.

Listings of Impairments. An overview.

Winning Your Disability Case in Three Words: Frequency, Severity and Duration by Scott E. Davis, Esq. 8-30-03

Completing Disability Forms: Five Critical Tips to Keep in Mind for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia Patients by Scott E. Davis, Esq.

Winning Your Disability Case with the Help of Co-Workers, Family Members and Friends by Scott E. Davis, Esq.

How To Talk with your Physician about Supporting your Disability Claim by Scott E. Davis, Esq.

Winning Your Social Security Disability Claim: 15 Mistakes You Can Not Afford to Make! by Scott E. Davis, Esq.

Five Crucial Steps to Winning your CFS Disability Case by Scott E. Davis, Esq.

Disability Claim Killers - What you don't know could be fatal to your Fibromyalgia and CFS claim! by Scott E. Davis, Esq.

Why it is Important to Address Psychological Issues in your Chronic Pain Disability Case by Scott E. Davis, Esq.

Win Your Disability Case by Obtaining Your Personnel File From Work by Scott E. Davis, Esq.

Do You Need A Disability Attorney? Important Points to Consider by Scott E. Davis, Esq.

Persevere on disability claims by Scott E. Davis, Esq.

Earn More and Still Qualify for Disability, say Recent SSA Rules by Scott E. Davis, Esq.

Can Someone Please Tell Me How Social Security Defines “Disability?” by Scott E. Davis, Esq.

SSDI: When Should You Hire an Attorney? by Scott E. Davis, Esq.

Why CFS/FM Sufferers Lose Their SSDI Claims by Janet Mizrahi

Obtaining Disability Benefits: Can I Work after I Have Filed A Disability Claim? by Scott E. Davis, Esq.

Obtaining Disability Benefits: Can I Work After I Have Filed a Disability Claim (Part II)? by Scott E. Davis, Esq.

Obtaining Disability Benefits: How and When to Talk to Your Doctor by Scott E. Davis, Esq.

Disability Benefits and Fibromyalgia: Getting Your Ducks Lined Up by Scott E. Davis, Esq.

Obtaining Social Security Disability: Two Compelling Reasons To File Your Claim by Scott E. Davis, Esq.

Obtaining Social Security Disability:Do I Qualify For Disability Benefits? by Scott E. Davis, Esq.

Obtaining Social Security Disability: How to Begin the Process by Scott E. Davis, Esq.

Your Disability Insurance Questions Answered! by Scott E. Davis, Esq.

Obtaining Disability Benefits - David versus Goliath? by Scott E. Davis, Esq.

Five Crucial Steps to Winning your CFS Disability Case by Scott E. Davis, Esq.

Disability Benefits Primer.

Social Security and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS): information based on the new ruling.

CFS & FMS: Obtaining Disability Benefits - David versus Goliath? by Disability Attorney Scott E. Davis.

Social Security Disability FAQ's
    Frequently asked questions. This is a good place to start. Within minutes, all the questions I had been afraid to ask or felt confused about concerning Social Security Disability were answered. I was tremendously relieved~!

Social Security Disability
    The Social Security Disability Home Page. Complete information on the Social Security Disability Program.

Help with SSI Disability.

Providing Medical Evidence to the Social Security Administration for People with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: a guide for Health Professionals. SSA Pub. 64-063ICN 953800.

Social Security Disability Outline 2002/2003 by Douglas M. Smith, Attorney At Law.

Social Security Advisory Service
    SSAS offers information about Social Security and its programs, but is not affiliated with the Social Security Administration (SSA) or any other agency. Key disability rulings, the latest SSA information, and the SSAS Newsletter make this a very informative site. Be sure to click the SSAS HotLinks button for an incredible listing of links to resources and information.

Helping Fibromyalgia Patients Obtain Social Security Disability. By Joshua Potter, Esq.

Social Security Information. Documentation of the Social Security Administration's adjudication of disability claims involving Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

National Organization of Social Security Claimants' Representatives
    An association of over 3,000 attorneys and paralegals who represent Social Security and Supplemental Security Income claimants. This is a valuable resource for people who need help or information about Social Security benefit programs and obtaining representation.

Social Security Disability Law Practitioners. I do not endorse any of these but put them here to give you the option of contacting an attorney in your area.

The Social Security Administration
    This is the Social Security Administration's own home page.

Social Security Information. Documentation of the Social Security Administration's adjudication of disability claims involving Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

Filing for Disability.