advice needed on finding a church

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by mom_2_1, Sep 18, 2004.

1. mom_2_1

mom_2_1 New Member

My question is how do you know a church is right for you? I really want to join a church after many years of being away from the church. It's a long story but basically after my dad died when I was little my mom just gave up on the church. Then she remarried and my step dad was not a church going man. My husband and I were married aboard a crusie ship. I know I'm Catholic but not much more. My neighbor invited us to join her church after she took DS to vacation bible school at her's but I get the feeling that church is her alone time and I would be intruding. I just have no idea how to go about joining. Do I more or less interview priests and see who I feel comfortable with? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have been praying for God to give me guidance in this matter also.
  2. KyLady

KyLady New Member

When I was looking for a church I just started visiting each of them. When you feel comfortable and the church has programs that fill your needs, then continue attending. It may take time to find the one right for you, and you may have to attend several times before you know.

I was looking for a church that had a strong children's and teen program. That was important for me, my children grew up in the church I still attend. They were kept busy during their years of attending, with festivals, overnight lock-ins, mission trips, parties, and just plain fun. I never worried when my kids were with the church group, most of the time I was along with them as a chaperone.

Now my grandkids are attending the same church and staying busy with chior, G.A.'s, mission friends, Team Kids, Sunday School and many other activities.

I am a firm believer in bringing up a child in a church environment. All of my children don't attend church as adults but I know they will get back to the church soon.

I hope this helps in your decision. God will help you decide too, just listen to him with your heart. I agree with the former post, your friend would probably be delighted that you would want to visit her church.

I will keep you in my prayers that you will find a church soon.

Kylady