Advice on anti-fungals? Herbal vs prescription

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ali-may, Sep 18, 2002.

1. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Can anyone offer me some advice on anti-fungals? I know about herbal anti-fungal agents such as Pau d'Arco, Olive Leaf and garlic, but I have a question: Is it more effective to get something on prescription from the doctor?
    My tongue is coated real BAD!

Thanks,
    Alison

2. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Can anyone offer me some advice on anti-fungals? I know about herbal anti-fungal agents such as Pau d'Arco, Olive Leaf and garlic, but I have a question: Is it more effective to get something on prescription from the doctor?
    My tongue is coated real BAD!

Thanks,
    Alison

3. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

if you read some of the reactions you may stick with the herbs. But, if it's that bad I'd go to the docs and check it out tomorrow. You don't have to fill the script but, you'll have it and the doctors opion. Is your toung bleeding and sore or just raw. If so you may want the relief fast. I can't take antifungel meds like that I am serverly allergic to them. Good luck, Kim and Gary
  4. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I suggest that since your tongue has that nice coating on it that you march right to your doctor and get a prescription. It sounds as though it's gone too far to do otherwise. Hope you feel better. ((((Gentle Hugs)))) dolsgirl
  5. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Thanks for the advice! My tongue isn't sore, but it definitely has a bad coating all over it, going right down the back of my throat. I've been brushing it with a toothbrush every day, which gets rid of it temporarily - but then it just grows right back. And of course I can't reach to the very back of my tongue, so I never get rid of the coating from there.

The coating is yellow - is this candida?

Alison
  6. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I have a thick white and yellow coating on my tongue now, doesn't hurt but like you said on the tongue and back to the throat. I have a hard time trying to convince doctors that I think this is thrush considering I have taken two rounds of antibiotics, oral predinsone and use a cortisone asthma inhaler daily. They won't test it either. I do have one dr. who orders me either Nystatin liquid or Mycelex lozengers for it. This medicine is pretty benign and only takes care of the mouth. It's not systemic like Diflucane which I'm afraid of the side effects--I'm real sensitive. Haven't had any problems with the oral liquids. Bought some oil of oregano and will try this as Herblady sent an interesting article this past week. If you think you have thrush--try to find someone who will help you treat it. I'm am getting so fed up with doctors lately--not wanting to test me for CFIDS too. Am going to an immunologist/Allergist next week for a 3 hour consultation--this is my last resort.
    Good luck to you,
    Tania
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I would see the doc if it were me. This may be a symptom of a systemic yeast infection. In addition to meds, colloidal silver is an anti-fungal. The zapper kills fungi as well. Be sure to do the anti-fungal diet. There was a good book written years ago called, "The Yeast Connection." There may be something newer out there. Anyone read a good book on this?

Love, Mikie
  8. fibolady

fibolady New Member

i have just started using this herb, it is supposed to help with the yeast problem. is a white coating on the tongue yeast problem? i've always had this come and go but never heard that it was yeast.

my daughter once had a yeast problem on her tongue and there were white pods all over her tongue, it was yukkkkk. but went away in a day or so before we got to the doctor. she now has tinea versicolor on her back which the doctor said to apply mycelex (sp) they are white spots on the skin.

wonder if i should start her on something for yeast problems (she is 14) i worry about her developing symptoms of fms. the grapefruite seed extract i have only been on for a week or so, can't tell any differene yet.

keep us updated on your progress with getting rid of this pesky problem.

lots of questions so early,
    warm regards, fibolady

[This Message was Edited on 09/19/2002]
  9. Sindy-Uk

Sindy-Uk New Member

The other one I have heard about is bee propolis. You can use it as a mouthwash and use it in a drink.

Regards

Satin
  10. ali-may

ali-may New Member

I'll let you all know my progress with this. I'm going to the dr. first chance I get - probably not until at least next week, when I have enough money. In the meantime I'll start with Pau d'Arco as a herbal treatment, and rotate it with other anti-fungal herbs. I've already got these from a previous time, so luckily I don't have to go out and buy anything. I'll do this plus the anti-candida diet the best that I can (not easy considering that my sister works part-time at a chocolate factory and she brings home a LOT of free chocolate!!! Sooooooo tempting...)

Then I'll see what my dr. has to say, and see if he can give me something for systemic candida (if the herbs and diet aren't already working).

I'll let you know what happens with this!

Thanks,
    Alison
  11. ali-may

ali-may New Member

I have to say, I'm disappointed in my experience with probiotics so far. First I took Reuteri for 30 days for rapid gut colonisation, and since then I've been taking acidophilus (nearly a month) - there's been no improvement in either my tongue coating or fatigue during this time.

I did feel GREAT, though, after taking Pau d'Arco for a week or so - I put this down to its anti-viral activity (I have EBV), but now I'm sure that it was having some strong anti-fungal effects. This time I'm going to keep it up for longer, within a REAL anti-candida treatment program.

I'm hoping to have success with the herbs, so that I won't have to get something on prescription.

Alison