Advice on cat bite

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Fudge43, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

I'm not sure if I should be concerned about this one .
    I have two cats .. totally indoors .. my older one is 14 and on steroid meds for her version of IBS/Chrons ..
    Well .. this morning while turning ourselves inside out trying to get the pill down her she bit me hard enough to have a puncture wound with blood .. it isn't her fault .. I'd bite anybody who would try to shove a pill down me unwillingly too ! haha
    But .. even after washing the area and adding a polysporin type ointment it is throbbing ..
    The thing is I have mitral valve prolapse and take an anti biotic for dental cleaning in case of bacteria getting in the blood stream .. and I know cats mouths are full of nasty little things ..
    Should I be concerned ?
    Thanks for any advice .. my husband thought I should have a tetnis shot .. I just don't know ..
    Thanks
    Joy : )
  2. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Yes, you should be concerned. Go to the doctor and have it checked out and treated. Cats can give you what used to be known as "cat scratch fever". I don't know why they called it scratch instead of bite, but it is from bites.

My dog trainers sister nearly lost her life and did lose all of the toes on both feet and a couple of fingers on one hand because of a very small bite from a completely vacinated and perfectly healthy indoor dog. Her condition became life threatening within 3 days after the bite and she was in the hospital for nearly 6 months. I believe it was seven weeks in intensive care. She is still having physical therapy.

It won't hurt to get it checked. If it turns out to be nothing, don't worry about it. But if you don't get it checked you WILL worry about it!

Let us know how it goes!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  3. CATHYRG

CATHYRG New Member

hi, i too have cats and have been bitten when grooming etc. i would not be to alarmed but i also would contact my family doc.i had no problems other then soreness for a few days. i did wash with hydrogen proxide. cathy
  4. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Cats mouths have a lot of bacteria (more then any other pet i think) so you should go to the doctor for antibiotics to make sure you don't get a staph infection or something like that. A friend of mine got bit by her cat and it got infected and she had to get surgeries to clear out all of the infection in her hand.

So definately take it seriously, and definately go get it looked at by a doctor. Much better safe then sorry.
  5. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Thanks guys .. I'll call my GP's office tomorrow and see what they say .. I have to admit it is still sore .. I just felt badly about trying to get the pill in her .. I can't blame her for the bit .. but I better be more careful next time for sure !
    Thanks again !
  6. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

You probably have an infection right now. I'd go to the ER to get it treated instead of waiting. I had my one cat bite me at the vet's office when he was ill and I had to go immediately to the doctor and ended up on two different antibiotics.

I was in so much pain that I had to have my hair professionally washed. Boy I wish I would have had the Lortabs back then. I suffered for a week and a half in terrible pain from two puncture wounds on my thumb.

Hope you feel better!

I've never had any of my cats bite me when I was trying to give them a pill before. I should have known not to touch Smokey when he was at the vet's office. Was my fault...

Hugs,
    Faye
  7. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Yes!!! Be Concerned!!!!

I was bitten seriously twice in my 6 year career as a P/T Vet. Tech. Both times by cats.

Cat's mouths are pretty much (next to humans) the dirtiest things on the planet when it comes to bad bacteria. Their fangs are pretty darn good for direct inoculation of pathogens into human tissue.

Augmentin (used to be anyway) the antibiotic of choice for treating cat bites. It's better to go and get treated in the early stages, rather than waiting (I had several co-workers who waited) for your hand and arm to completely swell up and have to get IV antibiotics to keep the infection from moving like a snake bite.

Docs typically don't know what you need - usually they look "cat bite" up in their computer reference system when you
    show up in the ER.

Don't fool around with it - if it was a full depth puncture, you are going to need the high test ABX.

They make a restraint device called a "Cat Bag" - you stick kitty in it and all the other ports can be zippered up except for the head or you can even zipper up the head and unzip a paw (which is what we used to do to get blood from particularly nasty kitties).

If they were so bad that we couldn't handle them, we'd put the carrier in a trash bag and trot on over to the anesthesia machine, attach the trashbag to the gas hose and knock them out for a couple of minutes to do the blood draw.

We had cats that were so ornery they'd growl the entire time they were going under - it was like they knew they were going to sleep on purpose and they were mad as heck!

Hugs,
    Madame Curie

[This Message was Edited on 07/05/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 07/05/2006]
  8. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Even tghough your cat is undoors, with the MVP I would try one of the rapid antibiotics for it. I always squeeze a lot of blood from any bite of scratch as it flushes the wound then HP and lots of hot soapy water.

There is a two pill antibiotoic that should grab it.

Love Anne Cromwell
  9. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Yes .. I'm going to be on the phone as soon as the office opens .. I guess I should have listened to my husband ? I just thought it would be ok if I cleaned it up and put some polysporin on it .. but it is like a snake bite fang mark now .. so I'm going to get it looked at pronto today hopefull !
    Molly never does that to us .. it was my clumsiness ? .. we have that special rubber tipped syringe to pop it down the back of her throat .. she has been so ill and is just coming back to herself a bit .. we have all been STRESSED big time with it.

I got her pill in first thing this morning in some really fishy cat food they love .. so that bit is done for the day .. phew !
    Now I just have to get "me" fixed up and we can move on ! haha .. she really is a precious little soul to us.

Again ... thank you all for your experience and advice !
    I'm going to follow it right away !
    Thanks !
  10. sueliza

sueliza New Member

I am sorry you were bitten - that can be so painful!

You can also try a treat called Pill Pockets, they make them for cats and they are sticky so the cat doesn't spit the pill back out.

I used to have to give my two cats a pill every day and used one of the long shooter things - the cats would run as soon as they saw me coming!

Our new cat actually will tear into a bag of Pill Pockets if he finds them - we have to keep them in the pantry with the door closed.

Sue
  11. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Thanks Sue ! .. I haven't heard of that before ... I wonder if we have them in Ontario .. I know I tricked her with the fishy bit if cat food .. I think we were both so relieved not to have another drama attack going on .. my younger cat is wondering what the heck is going on all the time ..
    My doctor wants to see me this afternoon when they can squeeze me in between some regular appointments .. so at least I will be able to sleep tonight without worry about a growing infection and the MVP problem .. some of these experiences from the other posters sound really scarey .. I don't need those things to happen to me .. sigh !
    I appreciate all the information !
  12. sueliza

sueliza New Member

Let us know what your doctor says - I would probably have been one to ignore it too!

Do you all have Pet Smart? Otherwise, look online and see if you can get them - they are a wonderful thing with cats.

Good luck,
    Sue
  13. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Sue ... yes we do have PetSmart now .. just opened this Spring .. I have to say I'm a bit worried about her though .. she just isn't really coming back from this illness .. we want to have med time as little stress as possible for all of us for sure, especially now.
    Wakemeup .. I'll keep that in mind too !

And YES ! ... I'll let you know what my doctor says/does just incase anyone else has this happen to them too .. we have had her for 14 years and love her dearly .. this has never happened before .. it was an accident and I have never considered it would be a problem.

Thanks !
  14. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

I really appreciate everyone's reply to my question about this .. thank you all !
    My doctor wrote a script for a combo anti-biotic (10 days) and I had a tetnis(us) ? shot .. sorry .. spelling up a tree ..
    Yes .. she said it could have gotten nasty especially with the heart valve thing ..
    So I am very glad I called and they got me in straight away to get started on this.
    Thank you all again !
  15. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

My mom who has dementia was bit on the leg by their cat last year. No one knew she was bit, she didn't tell anyone, but one day sister who lived with my parents noticed that one of my mom's legs was swollen about twice as big as the other one. Usually she wore pants so no one noticed before. My mom didn't realize what was going on and had just put a bandaid on her leg.

She had to be hospitalized, the doctor said she could have died, but she came out okay. (she has rebounded from so many things, we call her the Energizer bunny)

Cats' mouths are very dirty even though they are very clean animals in general.

Mary