Advice on getting SSDI

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sheila1366, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I have applied for ssdi twice.Both times they say I haven't established enough income to get ssdi.Is there anything I can do about this.I did call a lawyer and she said that I probably wouldn't get ssdi for that reason.The way things are going right now I fear that I will need help.
    Sheila
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

In order to be eligible for SSDI, you have to have so many work credits. Did she say that you don't have enough credits?

SSI is an income-based program for the low income.

Check out the Social Security website to find out the qualifications on both of these programs.

If you do not qualify for SSI because of your income (or if married, your husband's income), the only way to qualify for SSDI is to continue working until you have enough work credits.

Janet
  3. jaltair

jaltair New Member

My "in a nutshell" explanation of SS and disability.

If you work long enough at a job (5 of 10 years, rules differ for those younger than 31) that is covered under the provisions of the Social Security Act and become disabled, you are probably eligible for disability benefits.

According to the Social Security Administration, a "Disability" can be physical, or emotional, or some combination of both. In order to win benefits, you must have a disability severe enough to keep you from working in any regular paying job for at least 12 consecutive months.

The test for eligibility is not whether you can go back to a job you've lost. Nor is it whether you've been able to find a job recently. The test is whether you are physically and emotionally CAPABLE of doing a job that is generally available in the every day work place.

Under the federal Social Security Disability Act, "disability" means the "inability to engage in any substantial gainful activity by reason of any medically determinable physical or mental impairment which can be expected to result in death or has lasted or is expected to last for a continuous period of not less than 12 months."

A person can work and receive Social Security Disability Benefits, but must work at a much-reduced schedule. If you are working this year and your earnings average more than $810 a month, you generally cannot be considered disabled.

To obtain Social Security Disability benefits, you must have a doctor state that you are disabled "by medically acceptable clinical and laboratory findings". Unfortunately, many genuinely disabling conditions are difficult to diagnose by objective testing. In cases like that, it's up to your representative or legal help to present your doctor's reports properly, and to convince the government that you deserve your benefits.

Test For Eligibility:

• Your condition must be considered "severe" and must interfere with basic work-related activities for a claim to be considered. If it does not, Social Security will find that you are not disabled.

• For each of the major body systems, we maintain a list of medical conditions that are so severe they automatically mean that you are disabled. If your condition is not on the list, we have to decide if it is of equal severity to a medical condition that is on the list. If it is, we will find that you are disabled.

• If your condition is severe but not at the same or equal level of severity as a medical condition on the list, then we must determine if it interferes with your ability to do the work you did previously. If it does not, your claim will be denied.

• If you cannot do the work you did in the past, we see if you are able to adjust to other work. We consider your medical conditions and your age, education, past work experience and any transferable skills you may have. If you cannot adjust to other work, your claim will be approved. If you can adjust to other work, your claim will be denied.

[Information rewritten and reformatted for personal use from: "Social Security Online"]
  4. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I guess I am just out of luck.I have worked more than 5 years but those have been scattered threw out the years.I have been home most of the last 16 years.Every job I have had throuout these last 16 years I had to quit cause they made me sick.I know we can't get SSI.Oh well, I will just keep cutting corners.