advice on Lyrica and general pain management?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by englishteacher, Jul 9, 2008.

1. englishteacher

englishteacher New Member

Hello everyone.

I've been on Lyrica for a week at 50 mg and my RA wants me to double it starting tomorrow. Right now I'd say it hasn't done anything to help temper the pain. What should I expect from double it and what kind of withdrawl experience might I expect if I quit it?

I was first diagnosed with lupus and then the fibro about 15 years ago but this is the first time I've consented to take anything for the fibro. pain.

Are there specific vitamins I should be taking for that? Right now I'm just taking a general vitamin, Vitamin E and Calcium pills for that category.

I'm already taking a generic Elavil(anti-depressant) and Atenolol (migraine preventative)

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thank you.
    michelle
  2. praise

praise New Member

Two months ago my Doc put me on 75 mg Lyrica for the first week. He warned that it would be a while before seeing results but 90% of his Fibro patients had positive results. One even went back to work after 6 years of suffering. He also wrote a perscription for double the dosage 150 mg to start the second week. As expected, I didn't see improvement that first week, but was really looking forward to feeling better very soon.

The day after doubling the dosage, I had a terrible reaction. My right hand, arm, ankle, knee, and hip became swollen. Bruises appeared all over my body. (There had been no fall or trama of any kind.) Pain was very bad in my index finger and thumb. I couldn't drive due to leg pain and swelling. Lyrica seemed to set off something in my system and now (after two months), I still have more pain than before Lyrica.

Sorry for this bad report. In fact, just a few days ago, I came to this site to tell everyone to be careful about Lyrica. Then I got sidetracked with some other peoples problems on the site and gave out of energy before I got around to posting about Lyrica.

Hope you are in the positive percentage in your reaction.

Judy
  3. englishteacher

Well. . . I'm glad to know about your reaction so I know a few things to watch for. I am though, very sorry you went through all that. So much for FDA approval.

Best wishes and hang in there.
  4. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I have been on Lyrica for over 2 years now. It works well for me. It helps with my nerve pain, IBS and stomach problems. I started off pretty low and slowly worked my way up to the highest dose. I would say it is still working well for me.

I had some side effects when I first started but they evened out after a few weeks.

I take other medications as well for my fibro not just Lyrica.

Lyrica doesn't work for everyone but I definitely think it is worth a try.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/10/2008]
  5. swollen

swollen New Member

Hello Englishteacher: May I ask do you have any pain with your Lupus? and if so how could you feel the difference from their pain and symptom?
  6. swollen

swollen New Member

I'm glad Lyrica worked for you because I'm too scared to try new medicine every since I took vioxx I never had muscle pain and bone pain until I taken that vioxx in 1999 and all of a sudden I am diagnosed 3years later with fibromyalgia. I only had hip pain from a very bad fall the doctor put me on vioxx 1999 but in 2001 pain had gotten stronger and I got fibroids all over my cervix I had so many the doctors could not count them . I thought that after the surgery I would be better but my pelvic ,face,arms lower back and legs and feet always hurt.I use to take darvocets I love that but I am not aloud to work under any narcotics.I take neurontin 300mg 3x a day for one year now. The ingredients are the same as lyrica and it is used for the same purpose so I decieded to stay with the medication I'm comfortable with.
  7. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

Well they aren't exactly the same medication. Lyrica is Pregabalin and Neurontin is Gabapentin. However if Neurontin is working for you then there is no need to consider changing. Lyrica and Neurontin are "cousins" (similar medications) with Neurontin being the older one.
  8. englishteacher

Thank you for everyone's responses.

Someone asked how I know the difference between lupus pain and fibro pain...

1st a quick background... when I was 17 I had the beginning of discoid lupus. By 19 I was diagnosed with full systemic lupus. Then came the migraines, the vasculitis, the depression, social anxiety, and then finally fibromyalgia. It started lightly with skin pressure but has finally decided it was time for full body pain. ;) I'll be 35 next week and am glad that it didn't all hit me at once.

Well... it can be a little complicated but basically my arthritis is specifically bone and joint pain. My fibro pain ranges from skin sensitivity to pressure all the way to the major fibro. points for diagnosis. Either or both can flare from my period but my arthritis pain usually is obvious in the morning and then lessons throughout the day where my fibro. muscle, skin, etc. pain stays consistent.

The following website has the major pressure points in a nice diagram.

http://www.fmaware.org/site/PageServerpagename=fibromyalgia_diagnosed

Someone posted that tablet vitamins don't help any? That they aren't absorbed in to the system. Is that accurate? No offense but it sure seems like big business to be totally pointless. Please educate me on this!

I'd like to start eating more vegetarian style for the benefits. Anyone have good recipes?

Thanks,
    michelle
  9. katiebug61

katiebug61 New Member

My doc started me on Lyrica at low dose. I didn't think it was doing any good. He upped the dosage and had me taking 150 mg in the morning. I can't handle that dose in the a.m. It makes me dizzy and really woozy. I can handle 100 mg in the a.m. and I take 225mg at nite. It seems to have really helped me. I did have a flare this week, but it was after coming back from vacation for a week at the beach. I also take Cymbalta. Doc has given me Ultracet for break-thru pain and a limited supply of Darvocet for pain beyond the Ultracet. I would say hang in there and try the increased dose. If it makes you dizzy, ask if you can take it at nite. It does seem to also help me sleep better. Hope this helps! Have a good weekend.
  10. englishteacher

katiebug,

Thanks for your reply. On the way to the mailbox this morning (awhile after taking the morning increased pill) I started walking sideways almost like drifting. My brain didn't hurt but I wasn't steering very straight! Thank goodness I was walking! The sensation didn't last too long but I'm glad no one was watching -- they might've thought I was really drunk!

:) Day 1 down and I feel good. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Thanks again to all. I'll watch for bruising and swelling.