Advice on natural pain remedies

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by girlfriend_2006, Jun 28, 2006.

1. girlfriend_2006

girlfriend_2006 New Member

Hi all,

My boyfriend is bedridden with CFS/ME. He refuses to take pain killers even though he is in excruciating pain.

Does anyone have any suggestions for alternatives? either natural remedies or even techniques they use to distract themselves from the pain?

Many thanks,
    teri
  2. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

acupuncture...we haven't tried it, but I think it would be distracting, to say the least! And it could be beneficial. Sorry he's in such bad shape- you're a honey for taking care of him. I hope he gets better! Terri
  3. elliespad

elliespad Member

I use DL-Phenylalanine. It is an Amino Acid. Helps body make neurotransmitters, Dopamine, norepinephrine which will help with pain, depression, and it also gets rid of my tremors. Must be the dopamine. I take 1000 mg in the morning, away from other protein source. This is generally all I use for pain, and reduces my pain from about and 8/9 to a 4/5. Basically in half. Improvement is usually noticed the first day and improves over time. You also do not build up a tolerance and I can stop it for days with no withdrawal. Just realize a gradual return of higher levels of pain. Hope he tries it and likes it as much as I do. Will also help some with alertness, daytime sleepiness.

Oh, you can buy it is any health food store for less than $10.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/29/2006]
  4. girlfriend_2006

Thanks everyone. Will suggest this stuff to him.

I don't want him to think I'm being invasive though - or coming off as being one of those annoying people who you all hate that thinks they have an answer or a cure!!

I know he has tried the amino acids though and they didn't work.

all the best,
    teri
  5. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

Magnesium is supposed to be a natural muscle relaxer/pain reliever. I just started it a few weeks ago in helping me go through withdrawals from antidepressants. It really does seem to be helping my FM pain!!

My "personal nurse" (AKA my aunt who is a brilliant nurse and has lots of info) suggested starting with 800mg a day for a week and then going down to 400mg a day for maintenance.

It's worth a try. Magnesium is a very safe supplement from everything I understand.
  6. girlfriend_2006

Hopefully I can get the cherry juice at a health food shop in dublin tomorrow!!

thanks!!
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Knudson do organic black cherry juice you can get anywhere in USA. I have not checked where you are.

My friend sells essential oils and makes many claims about them that I do not buy into, but hey, people like them.

Love Anne C
  8. girlfriend_2006

Thanks Anne.

We are in Dublin actually.

As for the essential oils, well at this stage I suppose it couldn't hurt!

best wishes,
    teri