Advice on pain meds please...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by anna225, Jun 13, 2006.

1. anna225

anna225 New Member

I have a appt. to pick up my o.c. today and I'm taking about 40 mg 3 X day. I have been taking it for almost a year now. The pain is stronger than the meds. . Is what I'm taking alot? I really need a stronger mg., should I brave asking this?
  2. atiledsner

atiledsner New Member

My Mother was sick for a long time.They started her out on 40mg 2x a day. It gradually was increased. Sometimes a doctor will add another med for breakthrough pain. God Bless
  3. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

What is o.c.? Sorry, I do not know what that stands for.

You should not be afraid to talk about how bad the pain is, as obviously they need to do some adjusting to get you to a better place.

Good Luck!
    :) Kim
  4. shelby319

shelby319 New Member

I am on 20 mgs of oxycontin 2 to 3 times a day, but I don't like how I feel..it's just too much for me with that type of med I guess. So my sweet Dr. yesterday gave me a lower dosage if I wanted to take that instead somedays, and also Lorcet for breakthrough pain, which I think is a godsend for me as the oxy tapers for a bit during the day on and off as the time release wears down for a bit and then it goes back up again. Does that make sense to you?LOL!!!

There are also alot of other good pain medications out there like the patch for pain that some people say helps alot better than the oxycontin, but they also have to take breakthrough meds with the patch as thats a time release form too.
    Gentle hugs.....I hope you get better relief with something better!!!
    Shelby