Advice on switching from Effexor to Cymbalta?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SusanEU, Jul 30, 2008.

1. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Since Cymbalta is now here in Canada (VERY expensive, mind you), the doctor wants me to try it.

I've been on 75 mg Effexor XR for about a year and a half now and it's helped me a lot.

She said I dont need to wean, that I can go to Cymbalta with no problem. she is a good doctor, but after all, they don't always know about the side effects.

I'd rather hear it from someone who has taken it, exactly what to expect.

Thanks a lot
    Sue in Ontario
    [This Message was Edited on 08/01/2008]
  2. ziasss

ziasss New Member

Well, he gave me some 37.5mg effexor XR. Told me to take those for a week, and switch to the cymbalta, 30mg. I had been on 75mg of EffexorXR before.

I didn't really notice much difference. I haven't with the Cymbalta either. I'm still on 30mg. I think maybe we need to increase that dosage. I see him tomorrow, we'll talk about it.

Hope that helps,
  3. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I'm starting the Cymbalta tomorrow.

Let me know how you are doing and I will post how I make out with it.

Sue in Ontario
  4. mompain

mompain Guest

I was switched from Effexor to Cymbalta last year and almost died from it. Be very careful and watch for side effects. I didn't realize that I was having the side effects but I had serotonin poisoning and if it had not been for my husband realizing that I had a true emergency and took me to the doctor, I would have died. It happens in a way that you yourself do not realize what is happening. Not all people have this, but just beware in case.
  5. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

I switched from Effexor to Cymbalta last December with no weaning zero side effects. But please remember that everyone is different and reacts differently. Best of luck!
  6. fivesue

fivesue New Member

A few years ago my doctor had me try Cymbalta; I was on Effexor XR. He weaned me down from Effexor and onto Cymbalta. I was able to do that, but Cymbalta just didn't do the job Effexor did, so I eventually went back on Effexor after getting off both for a time. What an experience all of this has been.

A real struggle. I just don't think one should stop a med cold turkey and begin a new even if they are the same class drug. If you have trouble, how would you know if it's withdrawing from the old or a reaction to the new ?

Just my two cents.

Hope things go well for you.

Another Sue
  7. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Yeah, I was wondering about knowing if any effects were getting off of one and on the other.

So are you still on effexor, my only problem with it, is that my sleeping is so much worse on it; and I was hoping that the Cymbalta would help with that.

Are you still on effexor?

Sue in Ontario
  8. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I have had absolutely no withdrawal from my 75 mg effexor xr and been on 60 mg cymbalta.

I think I am sleeping better, but am feeling a little achy again; am going to give it a month to see if it helps me. I was starting to get depressed again and that seems to be lifting.

9. greatgran

greatgran Member

Please keep me posted on your progress. You were doing so well on the Effexor, sorry you are having problems.

I still haven't found an AD I can or will take due to fear but with all that is going on in my personal life I think the time has come to try to stop these horrible feelings.

Since I am keeping the greatgrans I don't see how I can tolerate side effects.

Good luck with the Cymbalta.

10. scarletstang

scarletstang New Member

Hi Sue,
    I was switched from Effexor to Cymbalta. My family dr. said I did not have to be weaned off of Effexor. I feel much more alert than I did on the combination of Effexor and Lyrica. I still have memory problems. I did have some headaches, but they have calmed down.

Good luck!
  11. dunnlb

dunnlb New Member

Definitely do NOT try to wean off Effexor before going to Cymbalta. Just go from one to the other.

I don't know if 4 Corners Pharmacy ships to Canada but Cymbalta is much cheaper from there. I have ordered it many times. No prescription and no shipping charges. It's a reliable online pharmacy and worth the try.

Symbal (Duloxetine) 20mg - 30 Tablets US $35.00
    Symbal (Duloxetine) 20mg - 60 Tablets US $60.00
    Symbal (Duloxetine) 20mg - 90 Tablets US $80.00

Symbal (Duloxetine) 30mg - 30 Tablets US $40.00
    Symbal (Duloxetine) 30mg - 60 Tablets US $70.00
    Symbal (Duloxetine) 30mg - 90 Tablets US $95.00

[This Message was Edited on 08/03/2008]
  12. CKater

CKater New Member

I switched directly from Effexor to Cymbalta with no side effects whatsoever. The Cymbalta seems to help with the pain much more than the Effexor ever did. I also take Lyrica.
  13. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

After 5 days, no weaning side effects, I feel more achy in the monring than I did on the effexor and I think I'll start taking it at night as I'm quite sleepy during the day.

My mood is much better, so it's worth it for me to be a little achy in the morning. But I REALLY REALLY hope it helps me sleep better than effexor did. I'm sooooooo tired.

WOW, I just spent $140.00 for 30 capsules @ 60 mg!!!

Sue in Ontario