Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sisland, Mar 14, 2008.

1. sisland

sisland New Member

I ordered this New With Tags Leather Purse From E-bay,,,,and it arrived with a very Musty Smell to it,,
    It appears to be Brand New and never used ,,,

I've tried useing baking soda and musk perfume but it hasn't helped much,,,,,,,,,Does anyone have any other ideas i can try?,,,,,,,,,,,,,Thanks in advance for your advice!,,,,,,,,Sis
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Where is Heloise when we need her? I remember Carl Reiner on the Tonight Show was asked about some problem. He said, "Every household hint I ever heard of involved lemon juice."

Actually I looked on the net. There are some Products advertised like Force Out, Damp Rid and Out. People also recommended things like a cloth or newspaper balls dampened w/ real vanilla extract. Somebody said cedar oil was good.

Hope you can find something. You don't want a musty smell that makes you purse your lips.

3. sisland

sisland New Member

Thanks for the tips!,,,,,,Yes Where is That Heloise when i need her!,lololol:),,,You always find answers for me! i really appreciate it!,,,,,,,I'm going to try the newspaper balls with lemon juice and Vanilla!,,,,,,,,,,,,

How are you Feeling? better i hope!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I found another website the other day that Penny picture Postcards from Montana,,I never thought of it before but making a scrapbook of them might be a fun thing to leave behind for the kids!

Also it would be a fun project!,,,,,,hope your having a Great Day!,,,,,,,,Sis

4. dononagin

dononagin New Member

what about Febreeze? works well on a lot of things... Also, you might try leaving a few dryer sheets (ya know like bounce) in your purse for a few days.

Good luck!
  5. sisland

sisland New Member

I never thought of Febreeze!,,,,Duh!,,,,,lolol,,,,and dryer sheets,,,,,,Thanks!,,,sis
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

I might try this with some old antique dressers I have inherited. I don't know why, they always end up smelling musty. I'd blame it mostly on being in the basement, altho we have a dehumidifier running all the time, but actually this happened with a new chest that was bought for our daughter after a few years sitting in her very sunny bedroom.

Putting all her drawers out in the sunlight helped for about a week, but then returned... maybe I should've taken the whole dresser out and upended on its side to "get a tan" too, once the drawers were out?

BUT talk about labor intensive with several large old heavy ones... there's gotta be an easier way... lemon juice and vanilla paper balls sounds good, those scents don't bother me!

Wow what we all can learn from reading each others' posts!

7. bct

bct Active Member

Try a couple of drops of lavender oil on a piece of cotton or old handkerchief (if they still make them!)

Regards to all,
  8. sisland

sisland New Member

I suppose furniture is a bigger problem to solve,,,I remember my Mom having little bags of cedar chips hanging in her closet and in her Dresser Drawers,,,,,,Maybe that would Help!,,,,,,,

I have the newspaper balls with lemon juice and Vanilla going now,,,,,,bct,,,Oh yes lavender oil! thats another thing i can try,,,,Thanks for all your suggestions!,,,,,,,,,Sis
  9. victoria

victoria New Member

Cedar chips may help IF you can tolerate the smell. My daughter couldn't.

I can't remember if I tried it before with the other dressers, but think I did and that's why I still have bags of cedar chips & pieces in a ziplock (too frugal to throw them away)... LOL