Advice, suggestions, views, I'll take anything!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Anitamj, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Anitamj

Anitamj New Member

Hi, I'm a newbie to this website (3 days). I am a fm sufferer and have been for almost 20 years. Over these years I have been (mis?)diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, Reiter's Syndrome, Reactive Arthritis and Ankylosing Spondylitis. I don't have any joint damage except on one finger and 4 toes. I've been through most NSAID's on the market as well as Sulfasalazine and Plaquenil. My luck with MD's haven't been to great but I do suffer with almost all the typical symptoms of fm. Right now I'm on Celexa (anti-depressant) as well as a low dose of Effexor. I also take Rivotril (tranquilizer) for sleep and anxiety and Percocet for pain. I would love to hear from others that are on other meds, prescription, herbal, or otherwise that helps them through the day. My depression seems to be reasonably under control. For the mothers out there, the strange thing is that I suffered NO symptoms when I was pregnant with my two children. Help this Canadian out eh!! Just a note, I have been on the chat line a few times and it's almost like a life line for me as I don't personally know anyone else with this illness. Unfortunately, my hubby gets frustrated with me because of my lack of energy and fatigue, it takes me 3 days just to vacuum my house. And with 2 kids (11 and 6) I am kept busy as a bus service for my kids activities. I am a teacher but can only substitute once in a while because it takes days to recover from doing it for just one day. Anyway, enough blabbing on. Thanks to all in advance to replying.
    Anita
  2. WoodstocksMusic

WoodstocksMusic New Member

I too am a substitute teacher...but I say they can only call me when I have had long enough off to forget how rude high schoolers can be!

I am not on their call every other morning list for the one days stints...they call me when they need a long term sub...usually 3 to 5 weeks at a time after a teacher quits or needs to take a medical leave for surgery or things of that nature.

I too have a pair of boys 16 and 9.... and fatigue usually keeps me from vacuming at all! I go for days with hardly enough energy to get my shower before the kids get home from school and after that I am the typical taxi-mom.

I manage to keep the cloths clean and we even get a home cooked meal occasionally!

5 years ago when I hit rock bottom I spent almost 2 years in bed...once a month I might shower and crawl out to go to the store and that would be the only time I would step outside my door. That was a horrible 2 years of NO LIFE at all.

Today I can usually get out safe a day or 2 each week for recovery time...those days I stay in pj's the entire day and sleep and internet...and nap...and pretty much do nothing.

go to my profile and pull up my past threads if you would like to see the topics I post under....some of the things I have done over these 5 years to get to the point where I can sub again....and I can volunteer to work in the concession stand at the school on game nights...

But it was a dark gloomy 2 years before I finally came out of that living hell.

Good luck and let hubby read some the the fatigue story's in here ...maybe then he will begin to understand that REST and not just a single good nights sleep is what you need because you most likely have suffered some type of adrenal fatigue....therefore you will not rebound as quickly as you once could from activities that use to be easy on us all....now there are times when I have to lay down for 30 minutes after I shower just to get enough energy back to put my cloths on....

But remember until you have been where we are you will never fully understand....so give him room to be skeptical and think you are a little on the lazy side...and as lovingly as you can remind him that you were not lazy the first umpteen years of your marriage...and now you are tired and you don't like the new you either but it is a you that is worn out and nobody seems to be able to help you get the old body back...so you are now stuck with a body that is very limited...

Good luck and I hope you enjoy this board as much as I have. I draw alot of strength from the others on this board...strength that comes from knowing I am not lazy and that I am not alone in my struggle to recover from this illness. We will survive this thing of that I am confident!

Woodie
  3. Anitamj

Anitamj New Member

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. I will definitely take your advice. Thanks again :)
    Anita
  4. sarahann61

sarahann61 New Member

I take Plaquenil too, the Dr. gave it to me at my request..... I didn't know it was helping me that much, till a Rheum. tried to get me off of it.

I also have been on Prednisone for 11 yrs., have you been on the Pred. since being dx. with RA?... I think it causes a lot of my depression, I know the FMS doesn't help.

You must really have your hands full with the DD's , young sons, and a teaching job.....................I know it can't be easy, hope your DH will realize what you have to go through, and will help you out , more......