Advice to those seeking disability

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bubblegum, Mar 4, 2003.

1. bubblegum

bubblegum New Member

Hi everyone. I have noticed that there are alot of members here that are going through the disability process. I started my claim back in April 2001 and am at the hearing stage. Here is some advice to keep in mind during the different stages:
    1. If at all possible have someone drive you to any of your appointments at the office or with their doctors. It doesn't look good on the reports if you can go alone and drive yourself. At my psych. exam for SS the examiner commented on the fact that I drove myself to the appointment.
    2. Don't try to look your best. Remember how you feel on your worst days. How would you dress on those days? People have a way of sterotyping us as hypochondriacs because we don't look sick so how could we be "Disabled" You and I know that we are very ill both physically followed by the mental problems we develop as a result of what this DD has done to us.
    3. If you have reported a problem with sitting or standing then make sure you don't sit too long in one place. Imagine that there are hidden cameras in the waiting rooms or lobby's. It is really important that you make them aware of your ailments but at the same time don't fake anything. I always have my driver stand in line for me and carry my paperwork. Just keep in mind the different symptoms that you reported during your initial application.

Oops the brain fog just hit me and now I forgot what else I wanted to post. When I remember I will post it. Oh yeah one more thing.... for those of you looking for or just wishing to ask an attorney questions, I highly recommend my attorney Jeff Rabin. He has so much compassion for sufferers of CFIDS/FM/. Let me know in your reply if you would like his number.

Ciao 4 Now
    Sandy
  2. dorothy

dorothy New Member

I applied in November, after going on medical leave in the beginning of October.. They did send me to a Phyc. Doc and a Medical Doc. for evaluations, and I had my mother drive me to both... I received a call two weeks ago from the lady at the Social Security Administration that had originally taken my application, which by the way I had my mother take me there too, and she said that they told her I had been approved. That it is now sent up to a place in Atlanta, for a review, just to make sure the decision and everything is ok. She said I should hear in about three weeks... which is coming up... It's almost been 120 days, so I expect to hear somehting soon.... I'm partially excited, but not going to belive it until I see it in writing.... I believe I've heard others say they were told they were approved only to find out it's not true. I pray that I am one of the few who have been approved the first round.... I don't know how much longer our family can survive on one income... wish me luck... as I wish for you as well.....

Soft Hugs
    Dorothy
  3. bubblegum

bubblegum New Member

That is great!!!! And yes I think luck is on your side, but I am sending you some extra.... so good luck and keep us posted.
    Sandy
  4. Debgene56

Debgene56 New Member

I am finally ready to go after this too, but I really don't know how to even begin. Could you please outline what you did? And I pray that you get it soon! Love, Deb
  5. monimoni

monimoni New Member

Hi! Read your post bubblegum, thanks! I am Canadian and haven't been diagnosed with fibro, but it is highly suspected by my physician. Have to wait till June to see a rheumatologist. This is my two year mark for insurance because it is my second car accident (neither my fault) in two years. Insurance is sending me to a DAC assessment centre in Windsor. I need a lawyer. Don't suppose you're in my neck of the woods? I have no idea what to expect. I have chronic fatigue and the classic symptoms of fibro, but this is a grey area in medicine around here. Please respond anyone who can help. Thanks!
  6. bubblegum

bubblegum New Member

I decided to see if anyone can answer your question. So I am bumping it up. Ciao
  7. LeLeHpr

LeLeHpr New Member

Bubblegum, I would love to talk to your lawyer..Can you please give me his number???
  8. marilew

marilew New Member

I am also from Canada, and even with diagnosis of FMS CFS OA and Impingement Syndrome, I have been denied both Disability Insurance and WCB for 2 1/2 years now.
    I suggest an advocate immediately, and yes a lawyer. I am in the legal process now as I belonged to a Union and apparently they have "exclusive jurisdiction" when it comes to these things. That being exhausted I have been dealing with a lawyer, but that too has been a long process.

I lost my job due to this DD (long long story), but I will advise you to be VERY involved in your process. Search and research, and don't take no for an answer. Do NOTHING by phone...you MUST have a paper trail for EVERYTHING!!! Keep immpeccable (sp?) records and keep them in chronilogical order. Keep EVERYTHING, even if it does happen to come in a phone call...write it down...and date and time it even if it is scribbled on the back of an envelope. Photocopy EVERYTHING that you send away as you will need a copy. My latest bad break came from simply one thing that I did verbally and had no written record of. If I had had it on paper, I would have won hands down!!!

If you would like to get ahold of me, just reply in here and I will try to get your email addy somehow.

You must really push all issues and stay on top of your case.
  9. nancyw

nancyw New Member

Hi Everyone! I am just starting this lovely odessy of disability and filed my first paperwork last week. I think I wrote another message on this so you look up my posts (brain fog, sorry). Anyway, I read somewhere on this board that you should get your Congressperson (US)to do "Federal Agency Inquiry" on your behalf. They can't "change" the results, but it should help time wise. You can look up your congressperson on the web. I was so surprised in looking up mine and it actually says right there who to call and what to do if you need help with any Federal agency. My Congressperson actually has an office in my town (very small). I am waiting to talk to his rep this AM. I'll update this after call if anything new comes up. ***OK, just talked to the rep for Congressman. They can do a "congressional inquiry" regarding your SSI claim. He's sending me a release form and I have to send a letter stating what I want them to do to the exact office of the Congressman. Rep said sometimes this helps to move your "paperwork" to the top of the pile. Good luck everybody!
    [This Message was Edited on 04/02/2003]
  10. bubblegum

bubblegum New Member

Jeffrey A. Rabin, Jeffrey A. Rabin & Associates, Ltd., 640 Pearson St., Suite 300, Des Plaines, IL 60016. The office telephone is 1-888-LAW-0600. Email is either jeff@rabinsslaw.com or JRsslaw@aol.com. Mr. Rabin is an attorney in the Chicago area who has been practicing in this area of law since 1981. He represents Claimants nationwide, is a sustaining member of the National Organization of Social Security Claimants’ Representatives and is a member of the executive board of the Social Security Disability Committee of the American Trial Lawyers’ Association.
  11. nancyw

nancyw New Member