Advise Please!!! SSDI Appt over phone on 11/27

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Starla, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Starla

Starla New Member

Someone please tell me how it will be and what to expect. I have the form already filled out. Will they just ask the questions from the form and take the answers for the initial application? Then what happens next? What for them to assign you a doctors appt with a Social Security doctor?
  2. Starla

Starla New Member

Someone please tell me how it will be and what to expect. I have the form already filled out. Will they just ask the questions from the form and take the answers for the initial application? Then what happens next? What for them to assign you a doctors appt with a Social Security doctor?
  3. GoDaleJr

GoDaleJr New Member

I have mine in the office on 11/19. I'll let you know what happens. I've already filled out the application online and talked to SSDI on the phone.
    I do know you need to know all the doctors information whom you've seen, all the medication you're on, all your former job duties, all your symptoms of why you can't do any kind of work, and all your previous jobs for the past 10 years or so. You also need your birth certificate, W-2s from past jobs and any medical records you have from your condition.
    It's a lot of stuff. If you don't have the medical records you need to sign a form that says that SSDI can retrieve all the records from all your doctors for you.
    That is all I remember. GOOD LUCK
  4. teach6

teach6 New Member

The real work begins after that. They will send you a lot more paperwork to fill out. I can never get mine finished by their deadline, due to my limited number of hours of alertness, activity per day. If I choose to use those times for something else, like paying bills or running errands, or grocery shopping I can't work on paperwork.

Once you finishe that set of perwork, surprise! They send you more. If I could do this kind of stuff I wouldn't need to be out on disability! One paper asked how I spend my days. I wrote "filling out paperwork for SSDI and disability retirement," among other things.

I think I'm finished with SSDI for this go round, now I wait. I still have 467 questions to finish on a personality inventory for my retirement claim. I had hoped to work on that over the weekend, or today, but my fatigue level has been way too high to answer anything coherently.

Good luck with your claim. I hope you are able to complete yours more quickly than I have been.

Barbara
  5. Starla

Starla New Member

Your information is very helpful just to know what sort of thing to expect. This is a whole new world to me. I have worked full time and supported myself since I was 15 yrs old! and I'm 39 now. I think I have kept good records. I have only been seeing a doctor for 2 years for FM, but I have had it for 5. I have had Scoliosis for 27 yrs. Again, thanks for ANYTHING, any little piece of advice that will help me through this. I know I CAN'T GO BACK to work. My maximum stamina time is 2 hrs.
  6. missvickielynn

missvickielynn New Member

They tell you to have the Green Form filled out before your phone interview, but practically the only thing they actually ask you that is on the green form is your date of birth, when did you become unable to work, and about who your last employer was, how long you worked there, etc. The rest of the interview is about whether you have ever used any other SS numbers, what other names you have gone by (marriages), if you ever filed for SSDI before, whether you ever filed Workers' Comp or other public disability, if you have any retirement pension plan based on work not covered by SSA, if you are willing for SSA to contact your previous employers. Then they ask about your marriages, divorces, if any, and they want all the dates and places of each marriage and divorce, name of each spouse and their dates of birth. The ask if you have any children under age 18, or disabled adult children. The rest is your affidavit swearing that you understand that you must provide medical evidence of your disability, or assist SSA to obtain it; that you understand that you may be asked to have a consultative exam, and that if you refuse you will be denied; that you authorize any and everybody (Drs., hospitals, etc.) to release medical information about you to SSA, and that SSA may release info about you to a Dr. that they will send you to for a consultative exam. You swear to notify SSA if your condition improves, even if you haven't gone back to work, if you go to work, or if you receive any other public benefit based on disability, and if you are jailed for any reason, and then you swear that you understand everything they have told you, and that you have made no false statements, etc.

If you are also applying for SSI, they ask you many of the same questions, but they also ask you about your resources, your living arrangements, your car or cars value, how much money is in your checking account, and where the account is, and if you have any other type of income, or if you receive Food Stamps. Then after the interview, they send you the typewritten statements based on the answers you gave in the interview. You are told to read and correct anything that is not correct, then sign the forms. That (or those, if SSI too) becomes your "Application for Disability or SSI", and is sent in along with your Green Form.

This might be more than you wanted to know.....but it is almost word for word how the interview will go.

I was so stressed out about my interview, especially because it happened just a little more than a week after I got the green form, and I thought they were going to ask me all the stuff on the green form. The don't!

If you have any other questions I will answer anything you want to know. I stressed out so bad over the interview, and then over the Green Form.......I wished so bad someone would have told me in detail what to expect.

It is a stressful process! But the interview is not difficult as long as you have all your dates and info as I have described to you. Good luck!

Vickie