Afffordable Light Therapy?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SusanEU, Feb 6, 2006.

1. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I have SAD, so I feel especially lousy in the fall/winter. I would like to try the light therapy, but it is so expensive.

Does anyone know where to get an affordable light (preferably in Canada) and/or any success stories with the light therapy?

Thanks a bunch.

Sue from Ontario
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

it is the brightness (# of lux I think it is) that helps SAD, not that it has to be full-spectrum...

while it may be true for some, it may not be true for all, but if it is true, that could help to cheapen the cost for you?

You might want to research it... back when my DH was a psychologist (10 years ago), he did recommend it to certain patients and it did help them. Including himself.

Hope this helps,
    Victoria
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

HAVE JUST BROUGHT OUT DAYLIGHT LIGHTS THAT WE JUST BOUGHT, SO YOU CAN ACTUALLY USE THEM ALL OVER THE HOUSE PLUS THEY SAVE A LOT OF ELECTRICITY. WE GOT FOUR AT HOME DEPOT OR LOWES CANNOT RECALL WHICH FOR ABOUT EIGHT DOLLARS. THEY REALLY WORK WELL AND WILL LAST YEARS. ODD GETTING USED TO THE LIGHT AS IT REALLY LOOKS LIKE DAYLIGHT. JUST USE THEM IN ALL YOUR FITTINGS, THEY ARE IN 60 AND 100 WATT SIZES, MAYBE 40 TOO FOR LAMPS.

love anne
  4. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

and yes, it is affordable, but that can be relative. I got mine for less than $200. I ordered a portable desk lamp, vs. a bulky and much more expensive, and also less versatile lightbox. My desklamp has a dimmer switch too, so it can be used for task lighting as well, and if you work, it looks like any other "just a lamp", so you don't have to be broadcasting what you use it for.

I ordered from Full Spectrum Solutions, it's in Michigan. The under $200 incl. shipping and Cdn. exchange rates too. I'm also in Canada, Ottawa, and do you think I could find a place in a Canada's capital for Pete's sake that sold them. Nope, couldn't, but did get myself some full spectrum light bulbs for my kitchen and bathroom. They did take a bit of the edge off the SAD for me, but I have a severe, major depressive form every fall/winter. So what the bulbs were even more useful for is high quality lighting that is so much clearer than those glaring yellow incandescent bulbs, which I've always found so darn irritating anyway that I never wanted lights on in the day until it's too dim too see. natural lighting has always been best for me, and these look natural and can I ever see properly in my kitchen now to cook. The bathroom looks like we have a skylight now, even though it has no window at all.

I checked Cdn sites to order from, but they were so much more expensive here, so that's why I went w/ Michigan. And yes, the full spectrum lighting is absolutely essential and you do need them at powerful lux to be effective as light therapy. My BlueMax lamp had the highest lux and fullest colour spectrum of all the sites I surfed, including Apollo, another popular American site that sells lights that others on this site have been happy w/. Apollo has very good information on how best to use your light therapy though, so I'd check them out if only for the info.

The light therapy took away most of my SAD, kind of like the a.d. (I'm now going off because I'm cured of depression now), but it has been taking adrenal and mixed glandulars that completed the treatment for me, taking it all away for the first time in some 20 years.

jeanne

5. pastorwife

pastorwife Member

I bought a Jr. light box a few years back. It is full spectrum and the benefit of that is that it contains all the colors of light. Apparently SAD people (like me) need not only light, but all the colors. It has a high/low switch.

I also bought a visor type of hat that is very portable. It runs on battery or plugs in. The light did not interfere with my vision, so I could use it at anytime. I got both of these through a catalog or on-line from the same company. Can't remember what company though.

There was also a recommendation of using it earlier in the day so that the affects of alertness wear off in time for sleep.

I no longer use it although I probably should. I just got out of the habit.
  6. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

for your responses. I will try some of your suggestions and let you know how it goes.

Sue in Ontario
  7. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

an infrared sauna with one of those lights in it for SAD. I've only tried it once but she swears by it. She said that after a month of use, it has helped her in numerous ways. She said I could come every day to use it if I wanted. I need to start doing that.

I don't know anything about where to get the lights or anything but would enjoy reading your replies to find out.
  8. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Hi Susan
    My Doctor told me that some of the Shopper's Home Health Care Centers will rent out the lights for a while.It might be a chance to try them and see if they help. I'm sorry I don't know any more than that but it might be worth an inquiry.

Kathy.