AFRAID OF PAIN MEDS ADDICATION

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pacotaco, Apr 14, 2009.

1. pacotaco

pacotaco New Member

HEY PAIN PALS, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF ANYONE IS NOW ADDICTED TO THE PAIN MEDS/ I MAY NOT GET RESPONSES TO THIS QUESTION, BUT IF YOU COULD, I WOULD APPRECIATE IT. I DON'T THINK I COULD DO WITHOUT THEM NOW.I DONT GET A HIGH OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT, I MEAN I NEED THEM FOR THE HORRIBLE PAIN I HAVE DAY TO DAY ALL DAY AND NIGHT. I HAVE BEEN TO PAIN MANAGMENT CLASSES BEFORE, AND THERE WAS NO ANSWER FOR ME THER OTHER THAN STICK TO WHAT I'M DOING NOW. IT REALLY SCARES ME BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO SHORTEN MY LIFE BY ALL THESE DIFFERENT PILLS FOR THIS AND FOR THAT.BUT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF I'M THE ONLY ONE. I HOPE THAT I GET SOME ANSWERS.....THANKS GUYS :]
  2. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

There is always the risk of physical addiction. And for some mental addiction. I was physically addicted to the MS Contin I was taking. Knowing that my body was addicted is what helped me make the decision to find a different answer after 5 years of being on it. And before I made the choice to go on MS Contin, I had tried every pain killer under the sun.

I thought I couldn't do it without the pills either. So I guess I was also mentally addicted, thinking they were the only answer, when maybe they are not. I'm not ready to give up so I personally am looking for a different path to travel. But that doesn't mean that is the answer for everyone.

Hope you find your answer!
    shananegans
  3. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

between addiction and reliant upon a medication (reliant is not the word I am looking for but the fog is upon me!!).

My doctor said you are not addictive to a medication if you are following doctor orders and not going about underhanded methods to obtain pills.

So, I guess the answer is I am not afraid of becoming an addict....but I do realize that I am and will be reliant upon my pain medication.

Does that make any sense??
    Deb

4. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

i think addiction is when you take the pills so you can feel high, relaxed, happy

dependant is when your body needs to be weaned off a medication so you don't suffer withdrawal....you don't feel high when you take them, you take them to relieve pain....you don't sneak around to different docs and different pharmacies to get more and more pills...you don't buy them or get them from someone other than your doc....

why is it okay to become dependant to anti deppressants and need to wean off those because you would suffer withdrawal if you quit cold turkey????? BUT IT IS NOT OKAY TO BECOME DEPENDANT ON A MED FOR PAIN?

i range from needing 8 pills in a 24 hr period to taking 2 pills....i don't feel any withdrawal on the days i take less.....i s'pose if I did this for a few days, i might notice some symptoms...

i think if you are worried about becoming dependent, your head is in the right place!
  5. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

what is the difference of a person with depression requiring antidepressants and a person with chronic pain requiring pain medication? both get "dependent" on the drug and feel withdrawal if stopped abruptly.....

does the person with pain deserve treatment? does the person with mental problems deserve antidepressants? and how about the diabetic or the person with parkinsons disease? do they deserve treatement to live? or live better?

any medication has the potential to do some type of internal damage if taken for a lifetime....so, whatever....seriously, don't we deserve the option of treating our pain? with our doc's supervision? carefully and respecting the drugs we are prescribed? not everyone has success with vitamins and supplements.... can we please have a good quality of life? or do we have to be punished because some people couldn't handle the responsibility of the drugs?

6. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

Hey Debra49659, do we have the same doc? My doctor said the same thing - you are only addicted if you are finding illegal/underhanded ways of trying to obtain the substance.

Well, my story........I was on Vicodin about 5 years ago when this all started. It took me a year to wean off of it and about 6 months before I gave up on the pain.

I'm back on it again, six pills a day, without fail (and sometimes more). It's funny this question should come up now because my six pills is becoming sometimes 8 a day. I can't say that every time I take it I have actual pain. Honestly, if I know there is going to be some problem, or I won't be able to take it for some reason, I will double up.

7. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

There is a huge difference between addiction and physical dependency. The latter is a body's normal response to certain medications.
    I have had several long conversations with all of my Dr's about this. My rheumatologist told me that there is basically no ceiling on the dose you can take - I was very concerned about going up in dose. When you are used to it, your body adjusts.

I read this on another pain board - people who are addicted take them to escape life, people who take them otherwise, take them to have a life.

Im sorry for those who have had a problem with them. For some they are the only answer for a few moments of relief. They are made to relieve pain. Why is that so hard for some people to understand?

I have gone from needing my regular dose (3x)everyday - to needing only one. I listen to my body.
    Caution is good - asking is good- being concerned is good, but if you have a legitimate reason to be prescribed pain medication and you use it responsibly AND it improves your quality of life, I say don't fall into believing that stigma that others already have.

8. ironspine

ironspine New Member

I have been taking Hydrocodone off and on for over 20 years. I had back surgery when I was 15 (I'm now 48) and have had problems ever since. I've never become addicted, one a day helps me. I've always had sympathetic doctors who seemed to understand.
    Some people have addictive tendencies and some don't. I know how these drugs work and I'm very careful with them-they do have side effects that aren't always pleasant. I only take mine when I absolutely need help right away. I'm lucky one pill takes care of me all day.
    I also take Lyrica and 2 antidepressants. I've found trying to get off my antidepressants creates a "withdrawal" effect more than any other drug I've been on!!!
    Good luck!
    D.
  9. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I have been taking tramdol (50mg) since June of 08 and somedays I take one , somedays
    2 , at most 3 a day.
    I listen to my body. Because of the tramadol it has helped make my pain
    more tolerable so that I can function for my family, and for that I am grateful.

Good luck, Susan
  10. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I am taking what is prescribed to have a better quality of life. For me the right choice is not lying around and crying out in pain 24/7. But I do respect my doctor and the drugs that are prescribe for me and take them as directed.

To the poster that said that these medication make for a better quality of life for us...I agree with you 100%.

Take Care.
    Deb