Afraid to use Maxalt

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CAgirl, Jun 11, 2003.

1. CAgirl

CAgirl New Member

My doctor gave me Maxalt for my migraines, but I'm afraid to try it. I've tried imitrex before and it didn't help. I'm afraid I'm going to have a weird reaction or feel weird on the Maxalt and then I will have a panic attack. I could use some positive feedback on this medication.

Thanks
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Shalom, Shirl
  3. herekitty

herekitty New Member

I'm in the same boat - doctor gave me Maxalt, and I haven't tried it. I read the insert, and it said, among other things, that anyone with tachycardia and/or high cholesterol should only take the first dose in the doctor's office. It gave me the willies!
    Kitty =^..^=
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

You are now officially talking to the world's biggest chicken when it comes to prescription drugs. Case in point, I have had FM for 4 years and take no prescription meds for it, though I have a big bottle of Ultram (unopened) and Ambien (unopened & I'm sure long expired). I use mainly diet, supplements & drink lots of water.

Maxalt is the only prescription drug I take. My migraines got to the point where I had to have something. My allergist (who is half traditional/half naturopath) & I are trying to get to the bottom of the triggers for me, but in the meantime, he suggested I try Maxalt.

Your posts about anxiety over trying a new med were like looking in the mirror! I'm just like that----the samples of Maxalt sat on my shelf unopened, until one day I was on the third day of a killer migraine & my husband practically forced me to try it. I had 10mg. dissolvable tablets, but I was so paranoid, I cut one in half so it was just 5mg. & took it (pepperminty!). Then I laid down & asked my husband to check on me every 10 minutes in case I died!!

My migraine was soon gone, & while the first time, I slept for about an hour, I have since taken Maxalt, & gone out shopping or to a restaurant---in other words, it doesn't knock me out or anything. I do often have to take a second dose a few hours later, but I usually take no more than two doses in a given day, and I seldom get migraines more than once or twice a month. I have read you should not take more than 6 -10mg. tabs a week. I probably take 2 to 4 a month, if that.

As far as the "racing heart" thing, I did notice an ever so slight feeling of this, but it didn't last but a few minutes, and I would not even call it a palpitation----I have had, like so many people with FM, an occasional episode of tacchycardia; this feeling with Maxalt was milder & more vague & seemed to pass quickly. It wasn't anything that made me not want to use Maxalt again, and believe me, I am VERY sensitive to drug side effects & shy away from anything weird.

The Maxalt, for me, DID take care of both pain & nausea. I have never tried anything but this as far as prescriptions, so I can't compare it to Immitrex, for example. I HAVE used excedrin migraine---useless---and if you'll look at the boxes under "ingredients", Advil Migraine & Tylenol Migraine are identical to regular Advil & Tylenol, except for the packaging----I have no idea how their makers get away with advertising it as though it has something different that will help a migraine!

Anyway, hope this info has helped.....and that you feel better.

Hugs,
    Pam
  5. CAgirl

CAgirl New Member

That makes me feel better. Next time I'm down for the day I'm going to try one. Mine are 10mg. Maybe I should cut them in half. Can you do that with a wafer?
  6. Khadile

Khadile New Member

I used maxalt for a couple of years and never had any side effects associated with it. it worked well, though for me imitrex works better.
    DM
  7. pam_d

pam_d New Member

....the wafer does tend to crumble when cutting it in half, you can't be very precise. I now have both 5mg. Maxalt & 10mg.-----if I feel a migraine comingon with the whole aura-thing & manage to take Maxalt before it gets too bad, I take 5mgs. and it seems to work well. If I have let a migraine get horrible (because sometimes I don't get the aura & I'm not certain if it's a migraine or regular headache---and Maxalt doesn't work on a regular headache---and by the time I'm certain, it's often REALLY bad) then I take the full 10mgs. I don't notice any difference between the doses, other than the 10mgs. will knock out a full-blown headache better.

They DO make both strengths, 5 & 10mgs. so you have a choice there.

Good luck, hope it helps!

Pam

[ advertisement ]