After CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Irwin, May 22, 2003.

1. Irwin

Irwin New Member

I would just like to compare notes with other people who are over the worst of it. I've had CF for 8 years and am finally feeling better. I'm not healthy like I was before I contracted CF but still much better, at least I don't have to nap mornings and afternoons to have enough energy to make it to the dinner table. I don't have the stamina to play tennis these days nor am I able to remember things as well as I did before CF. Also I'm still need antidepressants. I still don't think I could hold down a job yet but maybe sometime in the future that will be possible. However, I'm wondering about the experiences of others who are not healthy yet, but feel so much better than they did while in the middle of this debilitating disease.
    Thanks for your input.

Irwin
  2. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I am a bit of a pessimist right now, I have been greatly helped by pain relief with straight opiates but I must say I wonder if anyone really ever gets over this............

Seems to me right now like there is not much to look forward to in life, just having the pain relieved is a big help, at least I don't wanna check out these days but I have not honestly found anything I can hope for or look forward to.

Jaci
  3. goingslowlycrazy

goingslowlycrazy New Member

Good to meet you!

I'm really glad you're feeling better and it is nice to hear a positive story...keeps us all going...

I can't compare notes with you cos I am at the other end of the spectrum - two years in and just got a cfs diagnosis...but it is lovely to hear that it can improve...I just pray I'm gonna be one of the lucky ones.

hugs
    Mary x
  4. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

After 16 years, the last 8 being the worst I am afraid I have to say ditto to Jacibart's message.

I am happy for you Irwin and and continued good days !
  5. tulip922s

tulip922s New Member

that there is life after CFS and I am so happy to hear that you are doing better,,,,gives me hope and that can be some "powerful medicine". I came down with CFS 5/9/93 and was ill with it for 8 months and eventually came out of it to about 90 - 95% of what I was before. I had 8 more wonderful years (with a few minor bouts when I thought I felt it coming back on me) until I was fully stricken again 8/31/01. Funny I can remember these date so well when I struggle each day to try and figure out today's date,,,,anyway,,,,my best advise is to continue to pace yourself. Most of what we hear and read plus my personal experience indicates that we do not fully recover and that CFS is always with us, but, again I do have hope that I will overcome this. I currently am bedridden for 16 to 18 hours a day, but, have had a rare few days where I thought it may lifting and then like a nutbar race around and try to catch up on everything I got so far behind on (getting better about this though) Best of luck and always remember to relish and enjoy what you have been given,,,,,,always listen to what your body is saying. Tulip
  6. Madelyn

Madelyn New Member

I don't know what will happen in the future. But I am much better than I was! This is not so much because it's better, but because I've learned to manage it. I have much more energy than I used to, my energy is more steady. But the DD keeps evolving; new symptoms emerge, especially the last year and a half. So some symptoms have diminished, others have taken the lead as most prominent.
    I used to be bedridden and depressed, and very anxious. Now I can function as a SAHM homeschooler of six. I even go places and do things without a second thought. We recently agreed to be among several parents to help out at our church's youth group for teens every Wed. night. That's a stretch, but I couldn't have thought of making such a committment before. I was afraid and unable to go shopping!I couldn't go to church (mornings!!) for a long time.
    It's great to be functional, but I need to gain stamina and get in shape. I don't know if it's possible now. I know I'm not depressed because I am enthusiastic about so many goals for the future!
    Madelyn