After surgery GERD is at its worst need advice..taking ACIPHEX

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kimba4318, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Hi - I had surgery last week and I am back to taking just my "normal" round of meds which include 1 aciphex (20 mg) in the morning for GERD.

The Gerd has been very much under control until after my surgery for whatever reason. It is burning up my throat and making me sick to my stomach.

Am I taking a low dosage of Aciphex that may be increased or does anyone else take any other supplements during the day to get you thru?

I know I need to ask my doc, but he will take a couple of days before calling me back, just wondering if you have any advice in the mean time.
    Hugs
    Kim
  2. charlenef

charlenef New Member

gaucatonga and dgl licorice root google them to get more info it takes a couple of weeks to work but it is the only yhing that worked for me charlene
  3. munch1958

munch1958 Member

I've had GERD since mid-1980s and been on every kind of medication there is for GERD. I finally had my esophagus wrapped around my stomach to tighten up the LES valve. This is a very drastic step but I couldn't tie my shoes without the mini-vomit.

I've recently done an elimination diet and realized I have a huge problem with sulfites and food dyes. This online book explains it very well. Google headaches, asthma, fries and cola or http://members.aol.com/nosulfites/chronic.htm
    I was to the point where I was getting extremely sick every time I ate out.

The other thing I've done is long term antibiotics (ABX)(Minocycline). I do not have h. pylori bacteria but have had a zillion ulcers. I do think there is some other kind of bacteria present. Google IBS and antibiotics. There is some new evidence that IBS can be caused by small intestine bacteria overgrowth.

I started the elimination diet in March but was not able to quit the Achiphex until I had been on ABX for 8 weeks. I am Achiphex free for the first time in over 25 years.
  4. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

HI Munch & Charlene - Thanks for your advice. It is awful isn't it??

Munch - I will look up those natural remedies - thanks a bunch!

Charlene ... wow, you have been thru a heck of an ordeal haven't you??? That is terrible. Glad you have been Aciphex free... you are really doing something right, I will check that site out.

Thanks a bunch, both of you
    HUgs
    Kim
  5. paige51

paige51 New Member

hope this helps. I take protnoix for my gerd, it is very expensive but really helps. I have to take it every night at bed time.

My problem is mostly at night when I have to lay with my head down.

paige51
  6. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

thank you all! A tiny bit better today and it has been 9 days since surgery. Hope it keeps getting better.
    Yes Angela, very odd... something with surgery.
    Hugs
    Kim
  7. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Kim,

GERD is so awful isn't it? I take Aciphex as well. A few things that may help are: sleeping with your head propped up on some pillows so that the acid can't travel back up into your throat as easily. Also: try not to to eat a few hours before bedtime so that the acid has a longer time to digest.

Indeed, the elimination diet is a good idea. It also helps to know which foods are most acidic. Sometimes it's surprising. You may or may not be aware that coffee and chocolate for example or very acidic. Even peaches and apples are considered acidic. It's definitely trial and error.

Also, tomatoes are one of the worst offenders. It was so hard for me to go off of tomatoes because I love pizza, meatloaf and tomato sauce. SIGH. But I feel much better.

Also, taking Tums helps when you have bad bouts of heartburn and the Aciphex isn't completely doing the trick. Aciphex helps most of the time, but occasionally I take Tums, and my doc says it's fine to do so.

Best of luck, and I hope this helps!!

Hugs, Erika
  8. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Yep - Thank you!! It all helps alot! I will have to try the elimination diet,,, sounds like work but I need to do something and make some changes,
    Hugs
    Kim