After Surgery

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ropaul, Oct 4, 2008.

1. ropaul

ropaul New Member

I had surgery on my shoulder last week they repaired a torn rotator cuff and I fell and stretched the tendons from the muscle... I am in so much pain...not from the surgery, but pain every where else. My head and neck hurt so bad that I feel nauseous. Is this normal ...maybe because of being run down could it have kicked in the cronic fatigue...all I know is ...i can't stand the pain....any idea's.........
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

It sounds like you maybe are in a flair from the surgery.

Did docs know about your cfs and take precautions?

Do you have pain meds? Can you take warm baths? You could also be sick from drugs during surgery.

Ive heard people post epsom salts in bath can draw out to
    hope you get some releif.

3. Atlanta8

Atlanta8 New Member

I've not had an operation since getting CFS, but I did have one a few years ago when I was well, and even that took a good two weeks to get over.

I think our systems are a lot slower than normal, so the drugs will take a long time to get out of your system. You'll probably feel the effects of them for a good few weeks, so that could be it. I've also heard that anaethetics can worsen CFS. Maybe someone here can suggest some good supplements for getting rid of the extra toxins?

Perhaps the head and neck pain is referred pain from your shoulder? Maybe all the swelling is pressing on a nerve and travelling up to your neck? Or they may have yanked you about a little during surgery so are a bit bruised.

I can't suggest anything that would help (apart from the obvious of eating well and drinking as much as poss to flush it out), if the pain in your head/ neck continues you should probably see your doc to make sure everything is ok.

Hope the pain gets better soon,

4. simonedb

simonedb Member

sorry you are not feeling well.
    yes, surgery can most definitely flare u, geez, I could write a book on this, but too tired (what a shock:)
    but if you search old posts here, like key words surgery flare cfs that sort of thing or at google, you can find a ton of info about it. I know I have written about it here before.
    basically my cfs really came on after a surgery due its thought to the anesthesia effecting me negatively(there are recommendations to only have certain sort of anesthetic approach for cfs people, i didnt know about it at the time or that i could get cfs) and also the position they put your neck in to administer anesthesia can be bad for some potential cfs/fm people as it hyperextends neck back and that set off a world of trouble in me which I made worse wiht chiropractors.
    Dr Cheney and dr dan rosner and others have a lot of info relating to these things how it works etc

in meantime, take it easy, eat healthy, if you don't recover have your neck checked out by someone savvy about this stuff, and as far as good supplements that should come up in your search. oh but do treat the pain, call your doc for pain meds, the increased pain could make it all worse.
  5. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

unfortunately, after some of us have surgery we do get ill again, or start feeling worse than before.had a total hysterectomy 6 months ago, and had a really rough go since. Dr.said probably the 5 hour surgery and anesthesia did it.All i know is if i knew i would have gotten this sick again, i wouldnt have done the surgery!! i did it to feel better. and it made me even sicker than i was.... all that for nothing. i am just now starting to feel a little different, hopefully doc can get me back to my pre surgery cfids. good luck, it takes a while for sure!!