After trying Lyrica and fentanyl...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Suzan, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Suzan

Suzan New Member

Hi! My name is Suzan, and from 2003 till 2006 I posted catch you up on the time since then, I have updated my is good to still see some names I recognize.

In the last few months..I tried Lyrica, after resisting that path because 2 good friends who also have chronic pain have had miserable experiences with it. But, as my youngest son finally , you won't know till you try it if it will help YOU. I had dizziness, during the first week, but in my mind decided to try my best to go a full month to see if the side effects would go away. But each week got worse, I ended up having focusing issues, balance issues, I didn't have swelling in my hands and feet, but both had a lot of pain, I gained 6 pounds! and I had abnormal thoughts and some depression thoughts by the time I decided enough was enough. I didn't last the month, this all happened to me in 3 weeks.
    The doctor was surprised at my reaction, acording to him, he has more than 6 other patients being treated with Lyrica successfully...

Then he put me on the fentanyl patch, the idea being to use that for longer term pain relief than oxycontin offers. Well, after a week, I was so sick...and didn't feel like myself mentally. I didn't put the next patch on..but after a week of pain, I decided to try again, to see if it was the drug or the FM...Well, after 2 days, I had a sick feeling along with some wicked pain from the waist down.I swear I could feel EVERY muscle I have! I also was told by my husband that my temperment had changed. When I woke on Monday, still feeling lousy, I took off the patch, and haven't put another one on. I still have a lot of pain, but I feel like "me' again!

So I don't know what the doctor will suggest next. I am wondering if I am having a sensitivity to drugs now on top of all the other symptoms!
    I am wondering if there is a reason he didn't just up the milligrams on the drugs I take that did work until I built up a tolerance?

If you have had a similar reaction to drugs, I would like to hear about it. I sometimes think I have to be the one that tells the doctor which way to go!

2. Olderbutwiser

Olderbutwiser New Member

I'm on Lyrica now and have been for about 4 months. 75mg at night helps me to get through most of the bad pain. I wake up mornings with muscles burning and if I take the pain pills, I itch like crazy so am trying just Advil. The 2nd dose of Lyrica, 50mg at mornings had me like a zombie and sleeping through most of the day. I was confused and couldn't keep tracks of my days. I quickly went off the day's dose.

The patch I would forget to take off when it was time so I have completely given up on that. It seems I'm back to square one after all these years but if I held on once, I can do it again.

Good luck to you all, pain free days are possible, it just depends on what you call pain free.
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

All I know is that I have weird reactions to meds. I shouldn't say weird necessarily, but some things just don't work for me, which my doctor is always surprised at.
    Can you ask your Dr. to put you back on Oxycontin if that worked for you? I don't know what dose you were on or how many a day, but that would seem to be the logical thing to do if the patch isn't working for/with you.

Were you on any other meds that worked? I have to have the long-acting (oxycontin)and then the shorter acting for breakthrough pain when the pain is intolerable. Since you have a dr. who is willing to prescribe, maybe he will do that for you. I would at least ask to 'try' it for a month and see how you do.