Afternoon crashes

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by morgana, Apr 28, 2003.

1. morgana

morgana New Member

Does anyone else here find themselves absolutely worn out and tired out in the afternoons?
    I have to have a lay down on the sofa as I find that I cannot keep my eyes open ..the next thing I know is its an hour or so later and I've been asleep.I wake up feeling awful so groggy achy and sometimes unable to move worse than when I sat down that hour earlier??I have FMS and pernicious aneamia
    Gentle hugs Morgana
  2. kellbear

kellbear New Member

I work as well... I find by 2:00 I am worthless. Brain Fog and at times - Flu Symptoms. I have CFIDS and I don't have much of a problem in the morning. In fact, I try to get any "brain" tasks done in the morning because in the afternoon I cannot be relied on not to make mistakes or forget something. All 5 car accidents that I have had in last 4 months, have happened in the afternoon. It is horrible. I do find, that if I take my serving of Pure Synergy that it does help with the alertness and fog. You may want to try it. I also eat 6 small meals a day instead of 3 large meals so that my metabolism is constantly triggered.
  3. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

I have been taking a nap almost every day for 22 months now. That's when I had my baby and quit my full time job. Amazingly, I am usually asleep right now, but here I am!! Actually, I heard it thunder and thought I should turn the puter off!

Started NADH a month ago. I can only afford to take one 5mg pill a day. More than that, and I wouldn't be able to afford any other supplements. I also take a B complex pill with my multi. I do seem to have a little more energy, but I'm still in the habit of laying down when my baby is napping. Sometimes, lately, I don't fall asleep, it just feels good to lay down. It seems the NADH is helping my mind stay awake, but I haven't figured out a way to keep my body going!
  4. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

Actually I just woke up from my afternoon crash about 20 min. ago (slept 2 hrs). Came down to check email & found my husband had emailed me about 6 times - he probably thinks I'm having a really bad day.

Take care....Kathi
  5. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

do not feel bad about getting wiped out in the afternoons. When I was a kid I think I was the only one that did not gripe about taking naps. Not because I was a good, obedient child, it was caused I wanted and needed the sleep. All through my teens..until now (I am 50) I have been a napper. And have found that if I work a day job..it had better be like 6 til 2. As I have a really hard time trying to make 4 or 5 oclock.

Now, that all being said. I am a believer in these naps. Tell ya why. I believe that is our bodies trying to get us to give them a break..so that they can heal. My flare from hell came a little over two years ago. Down for the count. Could make it to the bathroom and back to the couch. At first I could sleep 20 hours a day. Then it got so I was awake..just had no energy to move. Jump ahead..In the last month..I have missed more naps than I have taken. Why? I am coming out the other side ..Praise to God! But..after a big week for me..it was rainy today and I laid down and took a great hour or so nap..feel GREAT right now. See, I think My bod was saying..hey, you have been pushing it..how about a break so I can catch up? I believe naps are part of my healing.

Am I cured yet? No..not yet. But I am on my way..and after a lifetime of this and a horrible two and a half years of horrible fatigue..I could not be happier. I think that when I changed my mind on rest/naps it started making a difference. To me, it was like taking a supplement or med..it was part of the healing experience. Mind you...it took me a VERY long time in coming to this theory..but I when I accepted it in this way..good things have come.

I truly understand the part of being in a freaky fog and feeling worse when you get up..I felt that way too. But, I have noticed lately, since I have been feeing so much better, that I might be a tad groggy in the first five minutes after waking from a nap, but it leaves and I just feel refreshed. I am wondering if the more you heal..the less sleep fog or at least less severe sleep fog happens.

Well, hope you find something in this mess to help you..please take time for your naps..your body will tell you when its time for you to give them up or skip them...meantime..I wish a peaceful and satisfying nap for you! best wishes...Sherry
  6. malony33

malony33 New Member

I sleep every day after work for at least 2 hrs. There are weekends that i stay in a bathrobe and just sleep on and off for 2 days.Work and sleep,that's it.I STILL sleep pretty well most nights,but then again,there's all the meds that help with that.
    So,Morgana,you are not alone! Feel better,

malony33
  7. morgana

morgana New Member

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply to my post im reliieved to knoiw that I'm not alone with these afternoon naps!!!!!!gentle hugs Morgana
  8. morgana

morgana New Member

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply to my post im relieved to know that I'm not alone with these afternoon naps!!!!!!gentle hugs Morgana
    [This Message was Edited on 04/29/2003]
  9. tandy

tandy New Member

i'm worse than a newborn!! Almost like clockwork...I peter out by 1:00.(I get up at 7am)I lay down for my nap on the couch till 2:30~ Hayat-yat-yat~ hey man...this DD is tough on us! I hate it when its really sunny&nice outside thou-because you want so bad to get out and enjoy the weather.But I gotta have my catnap!!otherwise the fog is so thick I probly could'nt count to 10!!and the fatigue&body aches! this nap gets me thru till 10-11pm.
    Your not even close to being alone on this issue~
    Take care........
    Tracey
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Since taking Synthroid, I seldom need naps anymore, but every once in a while, the afternoon sleepiness just gets to me.

Love, Mikie
  11. Madelyn

Madelyn New Member

I have just decided to be as strict with myself about proper rest as I am with my diet. I've decided to take a rest in the mid morning and another one in the afternoon. Mornings I have to creep around; I gain energy as the day goes on, except when I 'm having a lower energy period I crash in the afternoons too.
    It's pretty hard to do this around here. There's so much going on. And I want to be in bed by ten too.
    Madelyn
  12. jesusfreak

jesusfreak New Member

i tried to get into pure synergybut it only went to a page that didnt do anything.

13. granch

granch New Member

Oh yes. Always need a nap at 1:00. Usually tired and worn out unless I sleep for a couple of days. It is so hard to be a reliable person. I wish none of you had to go thru this, but it is so comforting to know that I am not the only one. I thank you all for being on this message board and being so honest.
  14. NewEnglander

NewEnglander New Member

same thing happens to me, I get so tired but can't lay down because it cause's me so much pain. plus no matter how wicked tired I get I can never stay still.
    I'm the nervous type I guess, can't stop moving. I walk into walls I'm so tired. I feel so guilty when I rest, I'm not comfortable because I worry about all the stuff that has to be done. plus my parents are alway poppin in. If my house is a mess they let me know it. they call me queenie and that I live the life of riley. If I don't have make-up on my father will say "you look good, whose your undertaker." he thinks he's so funny. I'm Italian but I look like a ghost. in all fairness though they do bring me food from time to time if I loose to much wieght...one time I told them I had a really bad stomach pains. so my mother assumed I was constipated. so I ate the disgusting prunes, got worst stomach pain, so then I ate more prunes. the worst my stomach got the more prunes I ate. my doctor told me never to do that again, I was sick for 3 days. my problem was I had an empty stomach, accept for those oh so disgusting prunes. wow, I really got off track here. my mind is always racing and I type really fast, very bad combo
    anyway, I'm sorry you get so tired, your not alone. just doing grocerys or going to church can really wipe me out. been that way for a few years. was very sad about it at first but I just keep going, I think its the meds or just the pain that keeps me from staying still, I get edgy and jumpy and pace back and forth when I'm on the phone. One day I will be well again. If you can sleep thats okay, your body needs it, so rest. and take care of yourself. Don't feel bad. your in good company. Being tired is part of the fibro experience.. take vitamins too. and maybe try some juice when you need to wake up
    God Bless
    Lisa

[ advertisement ]