"Afternoon Flare ups"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dented, May 17, 2006.

1. Dented

Dented New Member

Does anyone experience what I call "afternoon flare ups"?

Everyday, it seems that my symptoms increase dramatically around 3pm. I get that intense feeling like the worst flu of my life has hit me. This lasts until about 9pm (sometimes later) and then it is like my body resets for another day.

I haven't had a doctor who could explain to me why this is happening.

Any suggestions?
  2. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

It feels like my body just crashes at that time I don't know why.

I thought maybe that is when my meds from the morning stop working.

Hugs,

Jodi
    [This Message was Edited on 05/17/2006]
  3. Dented

Dented New Member

Hi Jodi,

Thanks for your reply. It helps to know I am not the only one.

Oddly enough, it was a couple of years ago when I began having these "flare ups" a couple of times a week. It wasn't until the last year that I actually started having them regularly. I was only diagnosed with FM and CFIDS one month ago, so I can't associate the phenomenon to meds. If I am understanding you correcly, your "flare ups" occured after you began "treatment". Is that right?
  4. Dented

Dented New Member

Hey L,

It is so weird! Have you talked to your doc about it?

I am wondering why the 3 docs I have seen (2 internal medicine, 1 Endo) can't explain it.

Weird, yes very weird!
  5. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

Now that you mention it.... I had to think a little bit. Yes, I have noticed the afternoon flare ups more since I have been on meds.

I am not sure why, unless before the meds I was in pain all day long. And just about every day too.

I am so thankful I don't feel that way now.

Hugs,

Jodi
  6. Gly

Gly New Member

Every single day now since over a year. Your timing is just like mine, too! I thought I was the only one who had this.
  7. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

It seems that the Europeans have the right idea. They take afternoon naps (siestas) everyday around - get this - 3PM. This is how our bodies are wired.

I wonder if that is what we are experiencing.

Just thinking...

God Bless.
  8. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

I hate the afternoon for that reason. The mornings and afternoons are worst for me. I wake up in the morning and it takes me until at least 11am until I'm able to begin functioning. Then, I'm okay until about 3pm or so. Then I "crash" as I like to call it. I end up couch-ridden if I'm not working. The low-grade fever gets bad, the muscle aches and joint pain worsens, and the fatigue intensifies. I've been getting low-grade fevers every day now. My normal temperature is in the 97 degree range, so when it's up over 99 degrees I feel it. It's been going up to about 99.4, which makes me feel absolutely miserable.

Anyway, I think the afternoon is definitely my worst time..especially late afternoon. It's like all the events of the day just come crashing down on me and I get very sick.

Gentle healing hugs,
    Kim
  9. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

many days this happens to me too, unless I feel like crap all day! }:p

Yesterday I felt fine in the morning, even left the house early to go to WalMart before work but by 3 PM my mind was in low gear and I was literally sagging.

I do know that when my kids are sick that they often have no fever in the AM but it will start to rise in the afternoon. I am sure I am not the only one who knows about this phenomenon. Maybe they are related. If I ever knew why this happened, I don't remember it now.

Sonya
  10. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

and found on "Pediatric Advisor" that body temperature "naturally peaks in the late afternoon and evening" and that "normal" temperature changes throughout the day. It peaks in the late afternoon and evening. A low-grade fever is 100°F to 102°F."

But IF that is true of everone, then it stands to reason that we might feel worse as this naturally happens since our bodies are so sensitive to temperature changes (external and internal) in alot of cases.

What might not be noticed in the "normal" person, except as feeling warmer, might cause a more severe reaction (feeling ill) in someone whose system is "out of whack" anyway.

Sonya
  11. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I searched on "afternoon fever fibromyalgia" and found this:

Afternoon Slump

Beat the Four O'clock Fade

Lunchtime is long past, quitting time is a while away and there's still plenty to cross off your to-do list. But there you sit, too pooped to pick up a pencil.

Sound familiar? Welcome to the afternoon slump.

If you slept poorly the night before or worked through lunch, it's no mystery why your energy evaporates. But sometimes energy flags for no obvious reason. Either way, you want to pull out of it fast.

A GRAB BAG OF PICK-ME-UPS

Here's what experts suggest that you try when you find yourself doing a fast fade.

See the light. "If your afternoon fatigue is worse in winter, and especially if it seems to be part of a general pattern of winter weariness, you may be troubled by seasonal affective disorder (SAD), says Brenda Byrne, Ph.D., director of the SAD Clinic of the Jefferson Light Research Program at Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia. SAD is a mood disorder triggered by the reduced daylight of winter and is responsive to treatment with light. So for your afternoon slump, try natural light treatment by bundling up and taking a brisk midday walk. Especially if done regularly, this combination of light and exercise is likely to boost your energy and alertness. (For more on seasonal affective disorder, see page 483.)

Take an exercise break. "When I need to be revived after sitting and working at my desk for some time, I get up and move around or go for a brief walk," says Tracy Horton, Ph.D., research instructor at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Center for Human Nutrition in Denver. "Exercise is good for renewing energy and spirit."

Roll your shoulders. "Shoulder rolls are a great way to revitalize yourself and relieve tension while you're at your desk," says Peggy Norwood-Keating, director of fitness at Duke University Diet and Fitness Center in Durham, North Carolina. First, inhale and push your shoulders forward as if you're collapsing your chest. Then, lift your shoulders up toward your ears. Next, squeeze your shoulder blades together as you begin to exhale. Finally, drop your shoulders and release the tension, exhaling completely. Repeat once or twice.

Breathe deeply. Norwood-Keating advocates deep, cleansing breaths for afternoon restoration. "Take a very deep breath, pulling air in through your nose as deeply as you can. Hold it in for a few seconds, then breathe it out slowly and deliberately. Do this several times until you feel refreshed and renewed."

Sniff some essential oil. Inhaling certain scents can give you an instant lift, says Jeanne Rose, president of the National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy and author of The Aromatherapy Book. "Put a drop or two of the essential oil of rosemary, peppermint or orange peel oil on a hanky," she suggests. "Keep it close to you to feel quickly renewed." Look for essential oils at the Body Shop, health food stores and other stores that sell aromatic soaps and lotions.

Plan for peaks and valleys. Be aware of your own personal body clock. "Some people have a natural downtime that hits at mid-afternoon," says Nancy Clark, R.D., a nutritionist at SportsMedicine Brookline in Brookline, Massachusetts. "If this happens to you, try to schedule easy activities for that time--go for a wake-me-up walk or take a short nap."

SLUMP-BUSTING SNACKS

"If you haven't eaten for the past three to four hours, your blood levels of glucose--the essential fuel for your brain--are probably dropping slightly," says Franca Alphin, R.D., nutrition director at Duke University Diet and Fitness Center. So eating healthfully--small quantities of nutrient-dense foods at regularly spaced intervals--can help restore your zip by providing your blood and brain with an infusion of fuel.

Try some of these tips from experts to pull out of your slump.

Graze, don't gorge. "A big meal full of carbohydrates and fat can tire you out," says Alphin. "With fat being much more calorically dense than carbohydrates and protein, and the large load of carbohydrates prompting a significant rise in blood sugar, this type of meal can require quite a bit of work on the part of your metabolism. Instead, eat small low-fat meals four or five times a day."

Try yogurt. "The ideal snack strikes a balance between carbohydrates, protein and yes, even a little fat," says Kathy Duran, R.D., director of nutrition at the Cooper Wellness Program, a division of the Cooper Aerobic Center in Dallas. This gives you a sense of fullness and well-being. An eight-ounce serving of low-fat yogurt with fruit will do.
  12. tinypillar

tinypillar New Member

I can't seem to find a way around these. I get the early evening flare pretty much every day. It's not what I would consider a full blown flare, but it's noticeable. It usually starts about an hour before I leave work and by the time I'm home I'm tired and achy. Even if I'm fatigue and pain free all day, I'll still get this.

I've tried eating a healthy snack later in the afternoon to see if it was food related, and it doesn't seem to be for me. I also work a later shift (9:30 to 6:30) so sometimes my lunch doesn't happen until 2. I keep healthy snacks in my desk drawer just in case I do get hungry before then.

I don't think it's med related for me either. I have changed the times I take my meds from morning to evening and it doesn't change the afternoon aches.

I'm curious if anyone finds a reason this happens. It's possible this is just the way it is.
  13. puddin827

puddin827 New Member

might be from your feeling pretty good early on and do alot of stuff and then it finally catches up with you about that time of day.................................