Again - question about Elavil

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DVoit, Jan 1, 2006.

1. DVoit

DVoit New Member

I take 30 mgs now. The doctor thinks I should go off, or at least decreas the amount of Effexor I take because my blood pressure is going up from it, the Effexor. I feel better. I believe she thinks that the depression could be helped by the elavil only. She suggested I get up to 50 mgs.

How many mgs are you that take elavil on? Thanks for your input.

Donna
  2. Gly

Gly New Member

That isn't even nearly enough to treat depression. That's a pain dose. I don't take it anymore because of weight gain, but it worked wonders for my pain and sleep disorder at 25 mg. I started at 10 mg.
  3. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

I went from 50 to 100 mgs in the last few months .. but my GP and I are thinking of cutting back .. just in general because the less meds ( without comprimising comfort levels ) the better .. I'm willing to give it a shot .. we are both flexible ... phew !! haha
    Good Luck !
    Fudge : )
  4. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I was given Elavil several years ago for pain & sleep relief for migraines. I started with a low dosage & increased it to 100 mgs. The weight gain was nearly immediate. We changed to Trazodone. It worked for the sleep I needed then & doesn't make you crave sweets. I have found if you need medication for depression, a psychiatrist is the person you need to see. They understand these types of drugs much better.