Again With The Yeast?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FranWi, Sep 3, 2003.

1. FranWi

FranWi New Member

Enough already, I know... but my doctor refuses to hear me out about candida. I came across this article, and the symptoms really sound so similar to CFS/FMS. And my sinus/sore throat just won't go away. I asked him about my coated tongue, and he just said - everyone gets that from time to time. Is there something more specific I should be saying here to find out if this is worth investigation?

The Yeast Syndrome, also known as chronic candidiasis, the chronic candida syndrome, and candida related complex is still unaccepted by some medical doctors. The habit of the medical establishment, in general, is to not accept as real any symptom complex which they do not understand. The effects of chronic yeast infestation in the intestine are so widespread in the body that it does not at first seem logical that one thing could cause all this. Many a patient have been branded hypochondriac, malingering, neurotic, and hysteric who appeared in doctors' offices with this complex, confusing symptomatology. One of the symptoms is irritability and this quality has tended to alienate doctors, leaving both doctor and patient frustrated. Also, doctors are accustomed to think that if routine blood tests show nothing, then nothing is wrong. Chronic yeast, in fact, shows nothing on routine blood tests.

The incidence of yeast syndrome is remarkably high. In my practice signs and symptoms suggesting yeast syndrome are present in ½ of new patients. This can be attributed to the commonness of factors thought to lead to a predisposition to this health problem. The three most important factors favoring the development of this syndrome are the presence of dental amalgam and resultant mercury toxicity, the use (and overuse) of antibiotics and the high carbohydrate content of the typical western diet. All three of these predisposing factors are widely prevalent in the modern western world and both favor the growth of yeast. To be correct - yeast, fungus, and anaerobic bacteria as "yeast syndrome" always involves all three. In this article, when I write "yeast," I am referring to all three - yeast, fungus, and anaerobic bacteria. This condition is also know as dysbiosis. Persistent bloating and flatulence unrelated to specific foods are the consistent symptoms.

Antibiotics, especially Tetracycline, long used at the drop of a hat by doctors eager for a simple answer to complex health problems, kill off bacteria which are needed for normal digestion. In their relative absence intestinal yeast are able to proliferate beyond their normal bounds. Add to this the excessive intake of not only simple sugars but "high glycemic index" carbohydrates such as breads, pastas, potatoes, and rice which convert to simple sugars in short order, and yeast organisms are provided with their basic food group. Under these conditions yeast can proliferate and cause symptoms even in people with normal immune systems.

Symptoms of yeast syndrome are caused by the normal byproducts of yeast metabolism. Candida has been found to produce 79 distinct toxins. The human body must dispose of these toxins. They easily diffuse throughout the body and no organ system is immune to the effects they produce.

Yeast, once it takes hold in the intestinal mucosa, is difficult to eliminate and if eliminated, tends to return over and over. Dietary changes which control yeast overgrowth must become a life style change in order to be meaningful as a long term prevention. Once having dominated the intestinal mucosa, yeast renders the mucosa partially incompetent to regulate the entry of digested food into the intestine. This circumstance is called the "leaky gut syndrome" and what leaks into the circulation are long chain polypeptides (partially digested protein). These molecules can set off the immune system into inappropriate action as they are recognized as "foreign" by the immune system. The antibodies which are produced may attack host tissue and this may account for some autoimmune diseases.

Yeast overgrowth is implicated in many forms of psoriasis and other dermatoses (Skinner, Crook, James, Oranje, Buslau), also in infantile seborrheic dermatitis (Bothe, Busacker, Reinel).

The physician responsible for highly publicizing the Candida syndrome is Dr. William G. Crook, M.D. who wrote The Yeast Connection: A Medical Breakthrough.

Symptoms of Yeast Syndrome:

Fatigue or lethargy

Feeling of being drained

Depression or manic depression

Numbness, burning, or tingling

Headaches

Muscle Aches

Muscle weakness or paralysis

Pain and/or swelling in joints

Abdominal Pain

Constipation and/or diarrhea

Bloating, belching or intestinal gas

Troublesome vaginal burning, itching or discharge in women

Prostatitis in men

Impotence

Loss of sexual desire or feeling

Endometriosis or infertility

Cramps and/or other menstrual irregularities

Premenstrual tension

Attacks of anxiety or crying

Cold hands or feet, low body temperature

Hypothyroidism

Shaking or irritable when hungry

Cystitis or interstitial cystitis

Drowsiness

Irritability

Poor coordination

Frequent mood swings

Insomnia

Dizziness/loss of balance

Pressure above ears...feeling of head swelling

Sinus problems...tenderness of cheekbones or forehead

Tendency to bruise easy

Eczema, itching eyes

Psoriasis

Chronic hives (urticaria)

Indigestion or heartburn

Sensitivity to milk, wheat, corn or other common foods

Mucous in stools

Rectal itching

Dry mouth or throat

Mouth rashes including white tongue

Bad breath

Foot, hair, or body odor not relieved by washing

Nasal congestion or post nasal drip

Nasal itching

Sore throat

Laryngitis, loss of voice

Cough or recurrent bronchitis

Pain or tightness in chest

Wheezing or shortness of breath

Urinary frequency or urgency

Burning on urination

Spots in front of eyes or erratic vision

Burning or tearing eyes

Recurrent infections or fluid in ears

Ear pain or deafness

Inability to concentrate

Skin problems (hives, athlete's foot, fungus infection of the nails, jock itch, psoriasis (including of the scalp) or other chronic skin rashes)

Gastrointestinal symptoms (constipation, abdominal pain, diarrhea, gas, or bloating)

Symptoms involving the reproductive organs

Muscular and nervous system symptoms (including aching or swelling in your muscles and joints, numbness, burning or tingling, muscle weakness or paralysis)

Recurrent ear problems resulting in antibiotic therapy

Respiratory symptoms

Lupus

Hyperactivity/Attention Deficit Disorder

Recurrent vaginal yeast infections in women

High sugar foods drastically increase symptoms

Inflammation of the hair follicles (candidiasis folliculitis) of various parts of the body (feet, legs, arms)

Extreme lethargy

Diarrhea, chronic gas, abdominal cramps alleviated by bowel movements. Perhaps labeled with the term "irritable bowel syndrome"

Lactose intolerance

Anxiety

Allergies and allergy symptoms, chemical sensitivities

Panic attacks

Sinus problems

Eye fatigue

Muscle weakness and bone pain

White tongue coating

Psoriasis/seborrheic dermatitis/dandruff, dry, itchy skin

Rectal itching

Swollen lips/face

Symptoms worse after waking

Facial rash

Avoiding food helps to alleviate symptoms

Hives

Chronic inflammation and irritation of the eye and conjunctiva

Feeling of being intoxicated which leads to a "hangover feeling" (due to fermentation and alcohol production by yeast)

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

FIND A HOLISTIC DOCTOR!
    Don't waste any more time. Conventional doctors do not believe in yeast overgrowth. Conventional doctors do not beleve in much of what is wrong with those who have FMS and CFS. If I had gotten the correct help earlier, I know I would never have advanced to stage 3 like I have. A holistic doctor helped me more in one visit than regular ones did in 18 years. He/she will check you for yeast right away, as well as many other things a regular doctor won't check you for. And, I can promise you that some of these tests will be very abnormal, unlike the ones you have already had done. You will have confirmation in print that you are not imagining this illness.
    If you don't know how to find a holistic doctor, go to the top of the page where it says "Message search" and type in "holistic". I have explained this many times before, and all previous posts on this subject will come up for you.
    Good luck,
    Klutzo
  3. deenapooh

deenapooh New Member

Are you talking about like a Tinactin powder? My doctor gave that to me one time about three years ago when i had it under my arms and breasts. It did absolutely nothing for me at all. My gynecologist gave me a cream, it is real inexpensive called Triamcinolone cream, it a RX though. However, my dentist noticed i had some in the corners of my mouth and he told me i could use that cream or use Monistat cream, Gynelotrimin, or any of those types of creams you buy over the counter if you didnt have that. It tried the OTC cream and it works just as well. The powder might work for you, but i had more luck with the cream.

Hope this helps

Love,

Deena
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I live in hot, central Florida and am very active despite the pain. I use tinactin under my breasts and behind my knees 8 months out of the year. If I forget even once, I will get painful, red fungus.
    The only way to get rid of the problem is refrigerated probiotics and a strict no sugars diet, permanently. It is so da*n hard to stick to!
    Klutzo
  5. mrstired

mrstired New Member

Hi Fran Wi:

Have you ever had your thyroid checked. Before I was diagnosed with a hypothyroid I had chronic yeast infections. Once my thyroid got under control I haven't had one since.
  6. LeLeHpr

LeLeHpr New Member

Hey Klutzo!

What supplements are you on? Tell me if this sounds like I am on the right track: probotics, total leaky gut, moduacare, fm formula, NT factor, tranfer factor 4000 and nystantin @ 1.000 mg. I am on my second day of being "sugar free" and am having a hard time adjusting! I feel like pooh! Have yet to add the nystantin of the nt/trans factor or addrenal support as I am waiting for them to be mailed to me. How long before one begins to feel better?

I did finally go to a HO doc in Central Florida- He is wonderful. And, I like you believe he is the only doc who can help me.

Look forward to any info you can share! THanks, LELE
  7. klutzo

klutzo New Member

You seem to be on the right track. I wish I could afford Transfer Factor...I think it's great, and I hope it helps you.
    One thing though, Probiotics that have not been refrigerated are pretty worthless. You need one that has been refrigerated every minute from it's manufacture until you put it in your mouth. Metgagenics is by far the best, but it is pricey. Probtiotics are one thing you should not buy online. Go to a health food store and get them from the refigerated section.
    Have you had a diagnostic stool culture to see what substances your yeasts are resistant to? If not ask your holistic doc about this. For example, my test showed mine are totally resistant to nystatin, so I stopped taking it. My test also showed the only natural substance they were not resistant to is caprylic acid, so some natural stuff like oregano oil and grapefruit seed extract would have been useless also. The test did not check for resistance to OLE, and since that kills everything, that's what I am using first.
    I applaud your diet, since I have found that removing sugars is the only thing that works, long term, but that means ALL sugars, not just refined table sugar. I had an awful time with cravings until I got rid of bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, all juices, jams, carrots, corn and beets. It was actually much easier than just eliminating sugar, since it stopped the insulin roller coaster ride that led to cravings.
    There are three supplements I consider essential for this illness, ie. magnesium (200 mgs. twice daily), digestive enzymes with every meal, and mega B-complex, twice daily. COQ10 is also essential if you have an MVP like 75% of us do. And, drink drink drink that water until your eyeballs float!
    Keep us posted on how you are doing,
    Klutzo