Age and Pain Relief

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by StephieBee, Mar 1, 2007.

1. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

Im so aggrevated right now.

I feel as though because of my age that doctors are reluctant to give me adequate pain relief.

I am an adult and Im not pregnant and Im not addicted to them so no one is getting harmed here.

I am currently on Vicodin 10/325 and have been for the past year. Now lets factor in that I have an extremely high tolerence to pain medication.

At one point in my treatment of FM, I had a doctor go so far as to prescribe me Fentanyl Patches 25 mcgs and I could still function.

I dont want to start jumping to the "big guns" yet, but I feel as though if the Vicodin are not working then why wont he bump me up to something else???

I truly believe he is holding off due to my age. The only reason I havent gone to find another doctor (because he's getting way too old) is because im afraid they will take my meds away and i will become immobile again.

Sorry for the rant but do I have a point or am I crazy???

2. momof471

momof471 New Member

I'm sorry to hear you are not getting adequate pain relief. What kind of doctor are you seeing? Are you in pain management, rheumatologist, pcp? I know some doctor's just want prescribe the stronger meds. I've been through all of the stronger meds, unfortunately with bad effects. I take elavil for sleep, beta blocker for heart and synthroid for thyroid and that is it. So believe me I feel your pain. I'm sorry you are so young and going through this.

God Bless
  3. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

Im currently seeing a rheumy. So far he's given me the greatest relief out of all the doctors that ive seen.

Ive been to pain management clinics and it seems all the ones in Boston refuse to treat Fibro with pain medication...they actually try to take you off of it if you are on it.

I love my GP, but he doesnt really believe in FM. He believes in the pain and everything but he doesnt believe it is Fibro.

I guess I should just count my blessings because there are some here that cant even get a prescription pain reliever from their doctors.

We'll see in time.