Age at time of diagnosis?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BexinTex, Aug 2, 2008.

1. BexinTex

BexinTex New Member

How old were you when you were diagnosed with Fibromyalgia/ CFS?

I'm 26 - my doctor says I'm "way too young to have fibro.." and I've had pain for years (without a proper diagnosis) -So I'm trying to find the average age for those diagnosed.
  2. footballmom

footballmom New Member

Diagnosed at 46 howver had symptons since I was a teenager. FMS does not discriminate against age or gender!
  3. sunflowerxo

sunflowerxo New Member

Hi I had mono at 18 no problems at all afterwards until age 38 had back injury and lumbar facet arthopathy at L5-S1 with bulging discs and soon after that everything started hurting all muscles, dizziness with visual problems, headaches, sensitivity to noises, smells,temperature. I finally diagnoses myself now at41 and have been under the care of a naturopath (only been 2 months so far)because I am extrememly medication sensitive. I'm hoping to get my old life back as this is really hard and I'm exhausted all the time. I don't know if the FM was there from the mono and this back injury brought it out, not sure....
  4. ironspine

ironspine New Member

You're doctor is either sympathizing with you or an idiot who hasn't bothered to learn the latest information about fibro. Children can have it-and it can be inherited from their parents.
    Is your doctor giving you proper pain relief? I hope so.
    What is he doing for you?
  5. baanders

baanders New Member

I've had it since I was in college. I was beaten up by a man. It was mild back then. Then at the age of 28, I had severe, disabling pain. I'm 35. I feel like that man attempted to murder me and I feel like he will be in a sick corner in hell when he dies.

I grieve sometimes, because I want to have a baby. I don't try b/c of the pain. Many women here, though, have conceived during their illness. I don't know if they are stronger than me or if I'm just too frail.

6. TinaJones

TinaJones New Member

I was 20 when diagnosed with CFS and 30 when dx with fibro (although I KNOW I had it longer than that).

I hope you find a doctor who understands this illness.
  7. JoFMS

JoFMS New Member

I was diagnosed at 26 - the docs dont kknow enough about fibro I'm afraid - we know much more as its our bodies and too complex!
  8. BexinTex

BexinTex New Member

My current doctor has me on lyrica - and that's it. it takes the edge off the pain, but I still have really bad days. He refuses to give me any sort of muscle relaxer or narcotic as "they're too addictive".
    Im currently searching for another doctor, more educated in Fibro

9. BexinTex

BexinTex New Member

I am so sorry to hear about being beaten up. That effects you for a very long time, both physically and mentally. Its something you can never forget.

About having a baby. My husband and I tried for 3 years before becoming pregnant with my now 2 year old.
    I was seeing military doctors during this. They believed that the best pain relief was physical therapy and motrin.
    That was a rough treatment while pregnant! I finally had a doctor proscribe Vicodin for the pain, which turned on the nausea and migraines! I had to take 3 months off of work while pregnant because I felt so awful.
    I think it was all worth it in the long run!

I hope when & if you get pregnant, your pain isn't bad. :)
  10. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

I have CFS and have been sick since a month before I turned 26. I am 32 now and will be turning 33 in a few months.

I think it is a common misconception that this only happens to people who are older but that just isn't true. A lot of the info on CFS says that it happens to people after 40 years old which is why many doctor say that. But a lot of people here report having gotten ill at much younger ages.

Take Care,
  11. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

19 - mild to moderate CFS onset

26 - more severe downturn with other complications

35 - diagnosed w. FM also - most of my worst pain is from that along with neuropathic pain virtually everywhere.

Funny how a lot of us either got it or deteriorated at age 26...weird.

Love Bunchy x
  12. tulaloo

tulaloo New Member

years of age I was told I have fibro. I'd had symptoms for at least 5 years at that point. My G.P actually told me the other day that they tell you that it's fibro when they don't know what's wrong with you. I shake my head.
  13. Cinderbug

Cinderbug New Member

age 46 for FMS

age 50 for severe , sudden onset CFS

Good Luck
  14. colorfulcolorado

colorfulcolorado New Member

But I've been in pain for eight years. They all said it was in my head. Diagnosed 3 years ago.
  15. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I was diagnosed when I was about 29. But I have had symptoms my whole life. My mom and my doc think I have had them since I was about 3.
  16. lilly51

lilly51 New Member

I was diagnosed at 51, but first I was told I had Lupus!!!! Went for a few yrs thinking it was that. My new doctor diagnosed me 3 months ago with fibro.
  17. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

I started having symptoms when I was 33.

God bless!

18. bre_ann

bre_ann New Member

I hate it when dr.s do that! I was in my late 30's when dx'd. but when they say you're too young that's a crock! I've had heart issues for years and I've always gotten "you're too young". It can happen to ANYONE at ANY age and they are STUPID if they tell you that.
    I told my husband if I die of a heart attack, to sue my g.p. because she always blows me off about my heart issues. She did an EKG (after I'd been complaining for a couple of years) and it came out fine. That doesn't mean I don't still have issues in there some where. Just because it's not the norm doesn't mean you can't have it.
    Keep after him or find someone who will listen.
  19. hatbox121

hatbox121 New Member

Too young? Try 18. I'm now 27. I know how you feel though. I feel like I should be in my prime. Running after my two kids. Playing with them. Just enjoying life. I've had pain since I was about 8.
  20. BexinTex

BexinTex New Member

thats insane! You would think a heart issue, of all things, they'd give more attention to! Have you had any other stuff done (echo, halter monitor, etc)?

I hope eventually they can get to the bottom of it! Heart issues aren't something to mess around with!