"Ageless" Suzanne Somers Bioidentical HRT book

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by munch1958, Nov 25, 2006.

1. munch1958

munch1958 Member

Has anyone read the "naked truth about bioidentical hormones" yet? Is anyone using the Wiley protocol or Rhythmic Cycling? Did anyone catch the Larry King Live show a few days ago where the experts argued about this protocol?

Ovberall, I thought the book did a fantastic job on explaining how our hormones work. The focus is on how to slow down the aging process. She makes imbalances sound so simple and easy to fix. Maybe if you are not a PWC! I wish she would have mentioned the hormone disturbances of FM & CF specifically the HPA axis. It would do wonders for this DD!
  2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I'm always up for sharing hormone stories in the event that I've missed anything or could be using anything better.

What do you use? What have your experiences been?

I actually have an issue with hormones right now.

I have been taking DHEA for 10 years. It has helped me a lot.

However, recently it's been making hair grow on my chin. The solution does not seem to be to cut down on the DHEA (even though the hair then goes away), since I start to feel worse then.

The options seem to be to a) up my estrogen, b) switch to 7-Keto (I'm not sure how much is equivalent to DHEA, but the same amount of mg does not seem to work as well), or c) do something else.

I'm going to ask my doctor to send me a test kid so that (if I can find someone to do the draw) I can discuss this with him on my next visit.

In the meantime, anything that anyone has to say about hormones would be great!
  3. I watched her on Larry King twice now talking about this, and she really seems to be knowledgable about them BUT she isn't a dr. My gyn says that they haven't been studied enough and basically thats what the drs. on that show tried to say. ????
  4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I've been using hormones in the way that she suggests for over a decade, all under the supervision of M.D.'s who had experience in the subject and had read up on it.

It is not "proven" in the way that drugs for the FDA are proven (e.g. with studies costing millions and milllions of dollars).

But that doesn't mean that it's _untested_ either. Or that it doesn't make logical sense.

Suzanne Somers is an interesting spokesperson for this. She increases consumer demand a lot, but if anything probably increases doctor skepticism.

Still, if patients go to their doctors determined to at least be taken seriously with this stuff and try it, maybe an increasing number of doctors will look into it and give it a go.

Since the majority of these drugs are not patented by a drug company that can educate the doctors, this is probably a much faster route than letting the docs figure it out on their own.

I've yet to buy Suzanne's book btw.....I've just paged through it at the bookstore. She and her doctors say exactly what many doctors have been saying for years. Apparently the time wasn't right until now for it to hit, though.

Never underestimate the desire of Baby Boomers to want to be young forever, I don't think.