Aggressive constant cold sores

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by alangan1, Jul 27, 2008.

1. alangan1

alangan1 New Member

Is anybody else plagued by these vicous cold sores all year long? Mine have been coming more frequently and lasting longer, I have got an RX now for the anti viral which I guess i will have to start taking another medicine.
  2. alangan1

alangan1 New Member

I take flaxseed oil and also eat real grapes, guess I need to add grape seed oil to that too? How about using it topically?
  3. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

In addition to the anti-viral, you may want to supplement with lysine (either all the time or just before and during a breakout). (I take acyclovir, 1000mg per day).

Also, you can increase lysine in your diet and decrease arginine (an amino acid that seems to trigger or feed the virus).

I use a topical oral paste, Triamcinolone Acetonide Dental Paste USP, 0.1%. It is a thick paste that sticks to the inside of your mouth. It is a topical steroid that reduces the length of the outbreak.

Also, there is Zovirax cream (not sure if it also comes in a dental paste). I have seen it in a cream which would work for cold sores on outside of mouth (it dissolves into skin whereas the other paste would not and would be unsightly).

hope this helps,
    Marti

[This Message was Edited on 07/28/2008]
  4. alangan1

alangan1 New Member

without an RX (Triamcinolone Acetonide Dental Paste USP, 0.1%.)? That sounds useful, I tend to have a tough time taking oral supplements every day although i am getting better. Thanks jammin, I am in my 50's and look like I am in my thirties, so we have somethin in common, except with a big old cold sore I guess it doesnt make a ton of difference, lol!
    [This Message was Edited on 07/28/2008]
  5. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

The Trim. paste is not a toothpaste. It is a thick gel/ointment/paste to use only on the actual spot of the cold sore inside the mouth.

It is a prescription but I wonder if your pharmacist could point you to a similar OTC substance.

It makes the cold sore less painful and it goes away faster, resulting in less aggravation.

HTH,
    Marti