Ah, crap, I think I have to give up my garden.....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ilovepink4, Jun 4, 2010.

1. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

I have been clinging to keeping a flower garden with a path.....and this winter my dad built me a beautiful trellis that you walk through......

all winter I fantasize about how great it will be getting out in the sunshine and having fresh flowers to put in the house.....then spring comes, and I start to feel a little better but not enough to take good care of my garden....

i think I am going to have to change my focus and start downsizing the amount of perennials (which can be messy and spread all over and can look like weeds) and put in some shrubs and more rose bushes so I can hoe around the plants because weeding is getting so difficult....

the last few years the weeds have been winning the battle earlier and earlier in the summer....and the fibro has been bad longer and longer into the summer...

so, basically, i am putting it out to the universe that okay, fine FM, you win....you can have the garden,too.....

i feel very pi$$y tonight.....this is just the last thing I was clinging to and it makes me mad to have to give it up.....I need to face it. I can't garden....not the way I want to.

anyone have some good ideas on how to make a garden easier to work with? I have too many perennials to put in black plastic and rocks or wood chips....and the garden is pretty big....30 feet across....and about 10-13 ft wide....it has wavy edges...and a wavy path.....with patio blocks that I recycled for stepping stones....

i have my awesome new trellis and put in climbing roses on each side...they came highly recommended for our (short-)growing season....and vicious winters.....

any good ideas?

2. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Hi Pink, I was just like you the weeds and all that hoeing and pulling was just getting to be to much for me and i to love my flowers but with the fibro it was getting to be to much for me also.Someone told me about a product called PREEN which is wonderful, its a weed proventer and doesnt hurt any kind of flowers , you do however have to weed the area once good and then sprinkle this (which I sprinkled fairly heavily) which is in a granule form and water to get it started and then just sit back and enjoy your flowers without the weeds it really does work great and a large bag at walmart is under $20.00 and it goes a long ways. I found along about august I had to reapply lighty because a few weeds started coming up but the good thing there also even if a weed does come up they are super easy to pull no solid root system. Please give it a try, it also says its good for veg garden but im a little afraid to use it on the food we eat. Good luck hope this helps. Dont let fibro have your flowers !!!! God Bless
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

that's my answer.... depending on where you live, they could be put in large pots.

Roses that take care of themselves, azaleas if do-able in your area, hydrangeas, etc. I think if you check your library you will find some books on all types - different kinds of greens and variegated leaves can be really nicely combined with whatever will survive your winter.

Also bulbs - like, cannas come in a lot of colors and always grow and bloom all summer, even if mowed 1-2X (my husband always managed to do this).... daffodils and hyacinths for spring.... maybe put them near the bushes.

Good luck, hope you find some things/ideas!

4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I used to rent a couple of garden plots a few miles from my apt.....had a huge garden, had to lug tons of water there every day, constantly weed, etc, but i absolutely loved it

the last few yrs it has been out of the question, and I've missed it a ton

so this yr, on my patio, I have a potted mint plant (it's from the plant that I had in my very first garden - I just transplanted it to my P's house for awhile....mint is very hardy so if I am not up to doing any watering for awhile it won't die), also have a potted chili pepper plant, a pot of chives, and two tomato plants......oddly with all my stomach issues, these are all things I can still eat and they taste SO good fresh, smell wonderful (w/o setting off my allergies), and allow me to at least have a tiny bit of the garden back again

it's not even remotely close to all the work that I truly used to enjoy, and it is also not going to give me near the harvest, but it's still so nice to have some sort of garden again....and even with my very low energy, it is manageable
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

I had a deck shaded by a 100+ yo oak, so deep shade for 90% of the day. I found vincas did better than impatiens, they seemed more heat tolerant and less thirsty...

and caladiums worked well since they have such pretty leaves and there's a couple or more varieties/colors. I combined that with hanging ferns off the branches of the oak tree over the deck... wish I had a photo of it!

6. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Is there someone you know that would come over maybe once a week and help you?

Call United Way and see if they can direct you to a volunteer coordinator--possibly they can link you up with someone who enjoys gardening and can help you out. [This Message was Edited on 06/06/2010]
  7. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Oh your area sounds lovely! Simplify a little but I agree, don't give it up!!

I don't have many weeds at all, so I'm wondering if it's your weed barrier that's the problem. I rarely have to pull weeds in my planting area.

I would plant things that need as little pruning as necessary. On the other hand, for me the great part about having flowers etc. is being able to walk around, 'deadhead' the flowers, do a little maintenance (not kill myself weeding etc.).

Now this may be a well known tip for some of you experts, but I had never seen this done before - my neighbor who has gorgeous flowering perennials gets these big plastic pots and actually plants those in the ground. You'd never know they were there. He covers the whole thing with the weed barrier, mulch etc. It keeps the plant for spreading farther then he wants. He also does this with his veg. garden.

I love a full flowering area. I have lots of lillies because they get quite large and take up a big area. I have TONS of space for plants around the entire perimeter of my yard - probably 12-18 feet or more around the whole outside of the lawn. I love the spreading ground cover flowering plants as well - the vinca, periwinkle etc. I have Lavender, Lilacs so that I can cut those and bring some inside.

I'm not a big traditional rose bush person, but the coolest rose I've had was called a Copper Tea Rose Bush. Absolutely beautiful and really different. You need a big area because of the way it grows. I've only seen the blooms in a Copper color and a magnificent yellow. Stunning.

You could mix some low growing bushes, even some nice flowering ones (wish I could remember the names of the ones I have!) with some perennials, then some ground cover perennials through your walk way.

Your flower garden sounds like a beautiful area - I would love such a place. I'd put a little bench, comfy seat out there, have my morning coffee out there! Make it your sanctuary, not a place that you look at and think of as work!

I bet that if you called the local community college (landscape design students) or workforce center - even a place for people w/disabilities, they'd love the opportunity to do some work for you!

For great pics of garden areas and just plain fun - go to ratemyspace - You can go to Top Rated and see some incredible pictures of what people have done. I love looking at the pictures!!

8. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi ilovepink - Gardening is what keeps me sane while living with CFS. I can't imagine not being able to get outside and gardening so I totally understand why you would be feeling pi$$y at the thought of not being able to.

I garden on the days that I can, and look at my garden on the days that I can't. I'm actually planting perennials so that I don't have to dig and plant every spring. I'm slowly trying to make an English Cottage Garden. I just love that look. My sister and I drool over English gardening magazines, looking at all the beautiful gardens.

Climbing roses would look great against your new trellis. I love roses, but, unfortunately, I don't have much luck here with them. I think that the soil is too sandy. The first year they look great, but after that most of the bush dies down. I'm wondering if I bought some clay like soil to add to the existing soil, if that would help?

I have a couple of shade gardens which are really simple to care for. To help cut back on weeds I use landscaping fabric and bark mulch. It also helps to keep the soil moist so I don't have to water as often. That for me is the hardest part is the watering. I can't leave the sprinkler set up as the racoons get ahold of the hosepipe and bite through it. And they drag it around the yard. Racoons are cute but they sure are pests.

I hope you can find a way to keep gardening. For me it is the best stress reliever that I know of.

Take care!

[This Message was Edited on 06/06/2010]
  9. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Yes, bulbs are a great idea. Plant them once, and they come up every year.
  10. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi GB66 - Some good shade flowers are Impatiens, Fuscias, Jacob's Ladder, Begonias, Salvia, Astilbe, Fox Glove, Phlox, Toad Lily, and Columbine. Also if you are looking for greenery, hostas and ferns do very well in the shade.
  11. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

More and more cities are outlawing chemical weed killers. The BC Cancer Agency is trying to get the BC gov't to ban them outright throughout the province.
  12. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I understand why you might choose to use them, but as someone with severe MCS, who has been extra sick the last 4 days due to the d@mn law spray my apt complex used, I really cringe reading that.

I have done a lot of research on chemicals since getting MCS, and they are REALLY toxic, even to people who don't immediately get sick from them, like I do. And, for those with MCS (up to one third of the population has some degree of chemical sensitivity) (& many people with ME/CFS/FM have it....and if they don't, they are certainly more susceptible to getting it), chemicals can actually be life-threatening. Seriously. They are not simply annoying. They are truly dangerous.

There are non-chemical options.
  13. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Vinegar, dish soap and salt make a great weedkiller. However, just be sure that you don't use it near any plants or trees that you don't want to kill. Some people assume because it isn't a chemical that they can use it anywhere; just remember that whatever will kill a weed, will usually also kill a plant.
  14. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

Gardening is my chief delight..When I am horizontal I am often planning energy saving strategies to keep things going...Sometimes things are untidy but always healthy..
    I do a big newspaper and straw mulch in Spring which helps a lot with weeds and then we have a drought which helps a lot Also.

Be careful with vinegar and salt..it will eventually wreck your soil with the alkalinity changes..

I find really good weeding tools and rotating my jobs also helps.
    At the moment the pink galahs are digging up the onion weed bulbs under the gum tree and sometimes the kangaroos come in and Mow(eat ) the grass on the septic.!!!