Air Conditioner :)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sisland, Jun 30, 2008.

1. sisland

sisland New Member

The Manager of the Apartment complex that i live in just Brought me over a really nice portable air conditioner!,,,,,,I'm so Thankful! it's just to use for as long as i live here,,,,My Dr. had written me a perscription for one last fall and finally it's here!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

since the Apt sets East and West i get all the Am: sun and all the Pm: sun so this time of year it gets up to 95 degrees in here no matter where i put a fan and no matter how many windows are left open at night!,,,,just reporting some good news!,,,,,,Sis
  2. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

That is wonderful news Sis. I am so happy for you. So it took them a whole year for them to get this to you. WOW

Oh well, at least you have it now and you won't have to suffer with the heat anymore.

3. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member

what I would do without a/c, this is great news for you.

4. sisland

sisland New Member

Thanks!,,,Yes i Knew i had to get that perscription in early if i wanted to actually get an air conditioner by Now they are alittle slow!,,,,

can you believe this is the first one i've ever had in my life!,,,,it was just never a luxry we could afford!,,,,,,,so yes i'm Happy!,,,I'm thinking it's because i live in Montana,,,,,lolol,,,sis
    [This Message was Edited on 06/30/2008]
  5. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I have a small air conditioner in my bedroom and during the warmest days, I'll spend the entire day here. Fortunately, my bedroom contains my computer/printer, TV & DVD-player , so being confined to one room is not a complete hardship;)

So far this year, the heat has not bothered me to the degree that it has other years. Knock on wood.

I'm glad you got your AC, Sis. Enjoy!

God bless,
  6. sisland

sisland New Member

Anna!,,,,I'm glad you Have all you need in that one Room when it's to hot to go out! We are so used to the cooler wheather up here that the 2/3 months out of the year that it does get hot we Melt!.,,,,lolol,,,,,Sis
  7. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

I'm happy for you!

I don't know how I'd survive without my a/c. I really mind the humidity and the air conditioning takes that right out of the air.

I was thinking about you this weekend. Am I ever finding coins!!! Pennies by my car door when I get out of the car. On Friday it was very hot outside and my joints were a little more movable, and I was actually able to pick up a couple of pennies by my car door--one heads up and one tails up! I figured the heads up one cancelled out the bad luck of the tails up one :))

Enjoy your A/C!

8. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi Gals!

I'm so Happy that your finding FREE Money D!,,,,lolol,are you saving up??,,wow and you could actually bend down to pick it up thats Great! Were making Progress!!,sounds like good luck to me!,,,Thanks for making me Smile outloud!,,,,,

Well the apt is a 2 bedroom so the air is not quite making it to my room but that's ok i can sleep on the couch!,,,,,Hanging Sheets up is a really good idea!,,,,,,,

this unit is big! about 3 1/2 ft tall and at least 2 ft wide,,,and it even has it's own remote! and a Turbo button when you need it to cool off the house fast!,,,omg!,,,,,it's really nice for Lucky dog! he's not so miserable now!,,,,,,,,,,,Me Eighter,,,lol,,,Sis
  9. xphile

xphile New Member

That you got your A/C unit! I couldn't live without air conditioning(probably literally) Heat is one of the three triggers that brings on my seizures; the other two being stress and sleep deprivation(not good for either when you have FM/CFS) Only when I'm subject to extreme heat I get the type of seizure where I stay in a status state and basically am a danger to myself because of the lack of brain function I have. Oh well, I always have my A/C on, sometimes even in the late fall! lol Keep it cranking Sis!

10. sisland

sisland New Member

Thanks for your reply! Sorry to hear of the Seizure disorder! Life is so unfair to so many of us!!,,,But yes the A/C is nice!! Can't Believe i've gone without it for so long!,,,,,,Take care!,,,,,Sis
  11. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

HI Sis,

I am so glad you got an a/c unit in this weather. We would all die here in Tx. without it but know others in some cooler places do not have that luxury. We didnt have it in NY when I lived there, now many do but not everyone !!

I know you will enjoy it !!! That is just wonderful !!!

Hugs, Granni
  12. sisland

sisland New Member

I'm just livin'n the stone age up here in MT!,,,lolol,,the day i got it we reached 98 degrees!,,,,so thankful!,,,,,Hugs!,,,Sis
  13. pasara

pasara New Member

I never used to have an AC but now could not survive without one. I only use it when it gets past a certain temp and humidity. I get huge amount of brainfog and feel faint on hot and humid days. Now I consider it a medical supply.

Anyway, just a reminder to all to clean the filter regularly. The other day I went in my son's room and noticed that the AC was on but the room was not cool. When I looked water and ice had built up on the window AC. Now I had told him to clean the filter at the start of the season, but he's 17 so of course he didn't do it. Once it was cleaned things worked fine.

A clean filter helps your AC work most efficiently and protects your health as well.

Here's some info from the EREC website:

Stay cool!

Regular Maintenance

An air conditioner's filters, coils, and fins require regular maintenance for the unit to function effectively and efficiently throughout its years of service. Neglecting necessary maintenance ensures a steady decline in air conditioning performance while energy use steadily increases.

Air Conditioner Filters

The most important maintenance task that will ensure the efficiency of your air conditioner is to routinely replace or clean its filters. Clogged, dirty filters block normal air flow and reduce a system's efficiency significantly. With normal air flow obstructed, air that bypasses the filter may carry dirt directly into the evaporator coil and impair the coil's heat-absorbing capacity. Filters are located somewhere along the return duct's length. Common filter locations are in walls, ceilings, furnaces, or in the air conditioner itself.

Some types of filters are reusable; others must be replaced. They are available in a variety of types and efficiencies. Clean or replace your air conditioning system's filter or filters every month or two during the cooling season. Filters may need more frequent attention if the air conditioner is in constant use, is subjected to dusty conditions, or you have fur-bearing pets in the house.

Air Conditioner Coils

The air conditioner's evaporator coil and condenser coil collect dirt over their months and years of service. A clean filter prevents the evaporator coil from soiling quickly. In time, however, the evaporator coil will still collect dirt. This dirt reduces air flow and insulates the coil which reduces its ability to absorb heat. Therefore, your evaporator coil should be checked every year and cleaned as necessary.

Outdoor condenser coils can also become very dirty if the outdoor environment is dusty or if there is foliage nearby. You can easily see the condenser coil and notice if dirt is collecting on its fins.

You should minimize dirt and debris near the condenser unit. Your dryer vents, falling leaves, and lawn mower are all potential sources of dirt and debris. Cleaning the area around the coil, removing any debris, and trimming foliage back at least 2 feet (0.6 meters) allow for adequate air flow around the condenser.

Coil Fins

The aluminum fins on evaporator and condenser coils are easily bent and can block air flow through the coil. Air conditioning wholesalers sell a tool called a "fin comb" that will comb these fins back into nearly original condition.

Sealing and Insulating Air Ducts

An enormous waste of energy occurs when cooled air escapes from supply ducts or when hot attic air leaks into return ducts. Recent studies indicate that 10% to 30% of the conditioned air in an average central air conditioning system escapes from the ducts.

For central air conditioning to be efficient, ducts must be airtight. Hiring a competent professional service technician to detect and correct duct leaks is a good investment, since leaky ducts may be difficult to find without experience and test equipment. Ducts must be sealed with duct "mastic." The old standby of duct tape is ineffective for sealing ducts.

Obstructions can impair the efficiency of a duct system almost as much as leaks. You should be careful not to obstruct the flow of air from supply or return registers with furniture, drapes, or tightly fitted interior doors. Dirty filters and clogged evaporator coils can also be major obstructions to air flow.

The large temperature difference between attics and ducts makes heat conduction through ducts almost as big a problem as air leakage and obstructions. Ducts in attics should be insulated heavily in addition to being made airtight.