Air conditioning and pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Ruby1523, May 20, 2009.

1. Ruby1523

Ruby1523 New Member

We just turned on the air conditioning in our office today. I noticed how badly I hurt today and wondered if it has anything to do with being just a little on the cool side. Weather changes always affect me so maybe temperature changes will too? Never really noticed before today. Does anyone else seem to notice more pain with temp changes?
  2. FMsaddenedspirit

FMsaddenedspirit New Member

Hey Ruby,
    Ya I noticed this also.. but its a no win situation for me. I have such bad Hot flashes I could not be without air .. also we live in AZ So It gets hot.. I have noticed when my skin is cold to the touch I hurt more. but if I wear long pants to cover my legs. I burn up. so no win.. I am constantly putting a small cover over my legs and taking it off. same with my arms I have a sweater I use,, its on and off all day long.
    really sonuds like I need to get my hormones checked does it not , LOL. I'm sure its not all Fibro. or at least I don;t think so ..

maybe if you can something light to cover up with would help..

best wishes . Spirit and Chato Bear. He is sitting here helping me ( my Pug )
  3. Ruby1523

Ruby1523 New Member

I have an appointment with a new doctor June 2 to see about the hormone thing. I'm past menopause but have thyroid problems also so she wants to see if she can help. Lately I've started having hot flashes again (what's up with that?) I've gained lots of weight and just having all sorts of problems. So I hope she can help. Along with all the rest, I have Restless Legs Syndrome and sleep apnea. All in all, it really isn't any fun being me most of the time.

I prefer the cold even though it usually makes the fibro worse. When I get hot I start having weird tinglings and goosebumps all over. No one has ever decided what that is. No one has ever seen it before. Guess I'm just special!

4. singingirl

singingirl New Member

I am the same way. My husband is so hot natured so instead of using our big unit we sleep with a window unit ac in our bedroom. We live in lower Alabama so we (he) have already been using it, and I hurt so bad at night that I can't sleep unless I am taking sleeping pills. I still wake up with my hips killing me. I put an extra blanket on me and snuggle up behind him, and he will be sweating lol.
  5. dannybex

dannybex Member

...could be very dirty -- loaded with mold spores? -- and that could be part of the cause of the increased pain. Often air pollution is worse indoors that outside...

Having said that, I too get uncomfortable if it's too cold. I think most people with CFS/CFIDS/Fibro have a tendency to be on the cold side, even if their thyroid function is normal.

6. pearls

pearls New Member

I'm very sensitive to heat and cold, often at the same time. One part of me is cooking and the other is freezing. Drafts can really backfire with muscle spasms. I always keep clothing around me that can protect me from drafts. So here I am in late May, 100 degrees temperatures outdoors, and because of an overhead fan, I have to wear a headscarf!

You may offer that, well, I could turn off the fan. Well...yes. But there are so many aspects to this blankety-blank condition that I have to choose my battles with my beloved husband, and this is not one of them for me. So I wear my scarf in 100+degree heat!

7. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

You may also consider having your thyroid checked as it is our body's thermostat.

Pearls, I also seem to be in more pain when I am "cool...or chilly" but then again I can not tolerate the humidity either. Hot is okay...just not hot & humid!

Someone mentioned the mold issue. Strangely before I was dx'd with this dd, my husband and I tried to think of ANYTHING & EVERYTHING that could be making me feel bad and we thought it was strange that when I was at work during the change of seasons I felt worse. I've been in a small office area for more than 28 years and the ventilation is HORRID!!!! He often wondered if this had anything to do with the heating and air conditioning at work.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/21/2009]
  8. Doober

Doober New Member

The word Fibro is in reference to the fiberous muscle tissues.

So in thinking along this line, temperature changes can really get to us a lot.

When it is cold, the muscles bunch together/tighten up to keep warm.

When it is hot, they loosen up/expand in order to regulate the temperature and not get too heated.

Now, during the summer months when we constantly go in and out between the hot weather to cool buildings our muscles are expanding and tighten several times in a short period. This alone will cause us to have issues.

If you work in a very cool building during the summer months, it may be best to have a very light maybe fleecey type of throw on in order to try to keep your body temperature stable all day?