Air Conditioning

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Debralynne, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Debralynne

Debralynne New Member

Does a/c bothter anyone else... w/ Fibro???
    Its been very HOT and Humid here this summer and the boss thinks the A/C NEEDS to be on - I feel great when I am outside but if I am in the a/c for a bit I start to ache something fierce????
  2. rosed2

rosed2 New Member

I hate A/C anymore it makes me hurt that much more. My employer put my desk right under a vent and refused to close it saying it would make it hot for everyone else. So I sat at my desk with a sweater and scarf around my neck for a year.

Now I have arthur spreading thur my neck and shoulders, 3 bulging dics and other problems. Think they care? NO they don't.

Rosed
  3. justlikemom

justlikemom New Member

AC bothers me terribly. It's tough, because the heat and humidity give me problems as well (dizziness etc.) but the AC causes instant aching in muscles and major joint pain.

I rely on my fan and a lot of ice water.
  4. Megumi

Megumi New Member

The cold drafts from AC will contract my muscles and make me hurt faster than anything. Walking into a cold building will curl me up right away. Whenever I am in an AC'd place - room, airplane, etc - I have to wear a sweater and something over my legs if they are bare.

I have the same reaction when I get into a swimming pool that is less than 85 degrees.
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

No, the A/C does NOT bother me and I have fibro, cfs, lupus, and arthritis. It would bother me if I sat directly in its path, probably.

But I happen to agree with your boss. It has been an extremely hot and humid summer and the a/c SHOULD be on in a place of business! Mainly, because you are not the only person in the office. Your boss has to think about the majority of the people, and especially if you have people from the outside coming in.

Our boss would tell the women who were cold (the men never complained) to dress appropriately--no sleeveless dresses or blouses, wear real shoes (no sandels or shoes exposing bare feet), and bring a sweater.

It is not fair in an office setting to not turn on the a/c for just a few people. The a/c also dehumidifies a room will helps people breath better, especially those who have asthma or lung problems.

However, we had the opposite problem in our office--even with the a/c on full blast, it was still hot -- we had an old office building with an old a/c system. So we just had to deal with it and wear lighter weight clothing and have fans in our office. We were just as miserable being that hot.

If your desk was directly under the vent, it seems as if your boss could TRY accomodate you by moving your desk a little, or taping a piece of cardboard over or by the vent to redirect the air. Shame on him for not trying to accomodate you.

I have central air in my house and we keep it on 68 degrees all summer. If people are cold when they visit, I just give them a throw to wrap up in, but my husband and I love the temperature of our house.
  6. Debralynne

Debralynne New Member

BUT I AM THE ONLY ONE in my office and he will not let me close the doors!
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's just too hot and humid here to do without it. I would have mold crawling up the walls if there were no AC here.

What I hate is when I go somewhere and they crank the temp down so low that it is cold. When I first moved down here to the swamp, I wondered why people were taking jackets with them when they went out in the summertime. I soon found out.

I do think it's hard to be running in and out, going from one extreme to another.

Love, Mikie
  8. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Hi Debralynne!

Maybe the air conditioning unit where you work is too powerful for the area it is cooling. IMHO, a unit that is the right size for the room will drop the humidity and take a while to actually cool down the area, not give you an Arctic blast.

Blame it on hot flashes, but I absolutely LOVE air conditioning. I have arthritis, COPD, FMS, allergies, asthma and a half-dozen more medical problems and feel that the dehumidifying (and filtering) process of our central air conditioning unit has helped me breathe a whole lot easier.

My husband and I never would have survived this summer without A/C though we both grew up without it. We're looking for a retirement location that is cold and dry.

A former co-worker of mine used to wear tights under her dress and a sweater over her shoulders in summer. I'm not sure if this would work for you but it might help you keep comfortable.

Janice

9. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Where I live, too, it's just too hot & humid. I think we keep our A/C at just the right temperature to be cost-effective and not too warm or cool, just right.

I do agree with someone who said it's difficult to go from the hot, hot outdoors into the often over-chilled air of indoors---around here, every store and restaurant is so frigid that it's not comfortable to linger anywhere. It's around 100F here today & my husband & I are going to the movies tonight---I'll be wearing long pants & carrying a sweater, of course, since sitting for two hours in over air-conditioned air, I'll freeze.

My house is much better regulated, but I gotta have my A/C!

Hugs,
    Pam