Air Purifier Question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by renae1979, Feb 6, 2005.

1. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

Does anyone have an air purifier in their home? If so, do you think it has helped you with headaches, sinus/breathing issues or any other FM/CFS symptoms?
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I need to replace my air purifiers too, but have no idea which are the best ones.

I would like one that you don't need to buy/change filters in.

Will watch your post and see what others are using with good results.........

Shalom, Shirl
  3. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

HiRenae
    I have an "Ionic Breeze Quadra" No filters and wipes clean with a cloth. It is also silent. They are very expensive but worth it.
    Hugs Shirley
  4. Gagirl2

Gagirl2 New Member

I am glad you asked that ??

I have looked at the ones with HEPPA filters, which are expensive to replce. They claim to be better. The Ionic one sounds good.......I saw one at Walmart that is 150.00. It wipes clean. I need one, but I can`t do the expensive ones.

A lady told me that the Shakely product one has almost pure oxygen......and she couldn`t handle it , but it really got rid of the dust and they breathed better. But that one cost 600. or more, I think.

So if ya`ll get one before me............let me know too.
    Cindy
  5. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

We have two. My husband has asthma and his allergies this fall/winter have gotten out of control. We bought a Hepa Filter style made by Bionaire from Costco for about $80.00. And then my folks gave us a Ionic Breeze Quadra for Christmas. What a great present!!!

My husband says that they have helped. He's still not back to normal though. I don't really have headaches - so I can't attest to that.

I am feeling a lot better overall right now. But I'm doing so many things that I can't really pinpoint one thing.

Love & Light, Laurie
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

I have one air purifier made by Hunter which has the HEPA filter. We paid about $150 for it from Lowe's.

I love it. Yes, it has helped a lot with removing the dust, etc. from the air in the house, which helps my allergies/sinus/breathing issues.

It also has a pre-filter which you can vacuum off the dust when the red light comes on to notify you; however, I take it out and vacuum it every couple weeks and you would be amazed at how much gunk is on it! And ... we have an air filter on our central heat and air unit!

I just ordered one of those ionic type, with no filters, for my mother for her birthday, so I ordered myself one of those, too.

So, in a few weeks, I will be able to tell which one is the best!

I'm going to put the ionic one at the opposite end of the house.

I ordered it online from Heartland USA website. It is a generic brand, but my brother bought 2 from this site and says they are great. The orig. price was $149, but they sell them for $59.99 and I got free shipping because it was my first order!

I was at Sam's Club the other day and saw generic ones for $99 that looked like the picture of what I just ordered.
  7. bakron

bakron New Member

. . Will completely regenerate the air in a 30'x 30' room every hour and destroy bacteria. It runs about $350, which may seem like a lot; however, it will last for a long time. No filters to hassle with, and easily cleaned (different than the towers). Also, I'd stay away from the ozone generators, as the ozone may be detrimental to respiratory health in itself. Ozone has the capacity to damage cells, exposure to ozone as a risk factor for lung cancer is an important public health issue. There have been studies with rats that have determined that fact. In the long run, it's better to pay more for a room air purifier, and the Oreck isn't that much more. It would last as long as several that you might purchase for much less, and it traps mold / fungus, pet hair, dander, dust mites, bacteria, etc. Much better than most other purifiers. Can buy online through Oreck - just check Google. Hope this helps!
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I use the neg. ionizing air filters and they really do help. Neg. ionizers make the air smell fresh and slightly cool.

Love, Mikie
  9. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

i have 3 air cleaners....one in my room, one in the kids room and a larger one in the LR/DR area (we're in an apt) mine have a hepa filer and a carbon prefilter. the hepa in the BR's last about 8 months each and the HEPA in the LR lasts about 6. the carbons i vaccuum off periodically, but change them every couple of months.

it does add up. i looked at the kind that you wipe off, but i got to thinking...how clean is that? i mean, when you wipe them, aren't you releasing particles back into the air?
  10. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

I'm looking at a Holmes model which is a combo HEPA/Ionizer. I think I'll probably go with this one to try in my bedroom. It is only $65 on Amazon, with no tax and free shipping. I found it at stores in my area, but it was more expensive. I'll let you know how it works for me!!
  11. Waldene

Waldene New Member

I have severe allergic asthma. A friend, my husband worked with, was selling the ionic filters and guaranteed it would work wonders for my asthma.

It did. The clean odor that fills the room caused an awful attack and I had to use my nebulizer every two hours for several days. I also had to go to the guest room for a couple of days. Perhaps no one else will have this problem, but, we have since tried a different brand ionic filter and I had the same problem. I'll stick with my Honeywell Air Cleaners.

Waldene
  12. rvm

rvm New Member

An excellent product and right now as we "speak" they are having a buy one and get another at half price sale. I know because my sister & brother in law just purchased them this way.

We purchased ours online. At least if you're serious about it... this would be a really good deal, you'd get two for a lot less money to get you started.

I have asthma which has really been a problem in the last two years or so, but this has helped more than anything. Very good product.
    rvm
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am so sorry for your asthma attack. I had asthma in Colorado and that is why I got the ionic air filters. I had not problems inside with them funning. Since moving to Florida, I no longer suffer from asthma, but I still use the filters.

It's so weird how we all react so differently. I hope you were able to get your money back.

Love, Mikie
  14. monicacat

monicacat Member

The Austin Air with zeolite (Healthmate Plus)is the best. They clean the air and even remove chemical odors. I bought mine right here at immune support and it's wonderful.
  15. dreamharp

dreamharp New Member

What is the diffence between a ozone purifier and a ionizer
    purifier? Are they the same or different? I read disturbing
    news that ozone can be dangerous to inhale.

Thanks
  16. dreamharp

dreamharp New Member

bump for more info.