Air purifiers

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Fudge43, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Has any one purchased and found that an air purifier helps them ? .. If so .. what kind ... and what price range would be reasonable .. I'm looking at an area of at least 300 sq. feet .. family room .. lower level to the house area.
    Any responses appreciated !
  2. yuckie

yuckie New Member

I'm in the market for an air purifier as well. My doctor recommended the Gassy Filter from Eco Clean. They are located in Scottsdale, Az but may ship. The website is ecoclean-az.com. It is a good website for information if nothing else. I'll be following this thread. Thanks for posting.
  3. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

.... hey ! could I have the name of that friend that gave you such a great present ? haha
    All kidding aside .. I'm thinking it would be helpful .. our cats are indoor cats .. but they go through seasonal cycles of changing coats and the dander that goes with them .. plus air that could be cleaner ? in general ?
    No smoking is allowed in the house .. but I'm sure dust and what not has staked a claim here ..
    I'm looking at a Sharp model in Future Shop ( I'm Canadian .. so I'm going local ) ... I'll let you know what happens ... Hope to feel a difference !
    Thanks for the responses !
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I have an ionic breeze. Don't know what it cost; $300 maybe. Unlike my old machine, this one is silent. Keep it in the bedroom. I feel a little better when I wake up in the morning.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I do believe the ones which produce neg. ions are the best. Neg. ions in the air make one feel much better.

Love, Mikie
  6. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

I used to work in a pulmonary clinic and a lot of asthma and allergy patients liked the ionic breeze. They seemed to have really good results with it, so much so that the doctors and nurses began recommending it to patients to try.

Some patients couldn't tolerate some sort of smell it gave off at first and they took it back to Sharper Image, but most gave it a shot and they got used to it or the smell subsided. The new models may not have that smell, I don't know.

Hugs,

Deena
    [This Message was Edited on 04/07/2006]
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

I have two types - the "regular" air purifiers with HEPA filters and the "ionizer" type.

The regular air purifier worked so GREAT, that we went and bought a second one for another part of the house.

I don't like the ionizer type. I can hear it working, but can NOT tell one bit of difference in the air quality of the room that it is in!

My daughter has severe allergies and asthma. She also bought one of the Hunter brand (at Lowe's) regular air purifiers and said she couldn't live without it now.

Ours is a Hunter brand, too. They have a charcoal pre-filter and then a HEPA filter in them. I think they cost around $140 at Lowe's.

Janet
  8. Dara

Dara New Member

I have been wanting to get one but couldn't make up my mind. At least now I have some information to go on. I know I don't want one that I can hear running.

I have a dog and cat and are inside most of the time, and also need one that is strong enough to get rid of cigarette smoke.

Thanks for the information.

Dara
  9. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

great return policy to...

jodie
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

At the beach, in the mountains, and near waterfalls, people seem to feel much better. Where too many positive ions occur, in some areas where the wind blows constantly, there is a higher than normal rate of suicide. I believe the term "ill wind" came from this.

Office equipment, machinery, and computers all emit positive ions. Some companies have installed negative ionizers and it has favorably impacted the workers.

Even with the heat running, the air will feel cool and fresh with a negative ionizer. If it doesn't, the product most likely isn't working right or doesn't produce enough negative ions. About the only negative (no pun intended) thing I can say about them is that they can cause some sooty looking spots on the wall. These spots wash off.

Love, Mikie
  11. Paracelsus

Paracelsus New Member

There seems to be some confusion about air purification.

Ionizers condition the air by emitting healthy negative ions into the air. Increasing the balance of negative ions (ions are charged particles) vs. positive ions has beneficial biological effects. Generally, the proof that an ionizer is working sufficiently is that you feel better around it (although some people are less positive ion sensitive and may not notice a big difference.).

Ionizer manufacturers make claims that their products can "clean" the air because negative ions can cling to particulate matter in the air, making them fall onto surfaces.

I've owned a number of ionizers, and while they can improve your mood and well-being, I doubt they do much to "clean" the air.

To scrub the air of particulates (pollutants and mold spores) and VOCs (volatile organic compounds-- you know, all the chemicals we pollute our environment with-- cleaning fluids, bathroom deodorizers, solvents, paint, car fumes, perfume, etc.) you need:

A good air filtration unit with HEPA (high efficiency particulate remover-- removes even microscopic-sized particles) filter and a chemical/fumes filter, usually activated carbon.

A company called E.L. Foust makes air filters for chemically sensitive people that have HEPAs and carbon-type filtration. I have bought their products and am happy with them.
  12. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

The Sharp FPR45CX has :
    World's First Air Purifier that Replicates Nature's Own Air Purification Process.
    Superior Quality Passive Air Purification System.
    True HEPA Filter traps over 99.97% of all allergens and dust down to 0.3 micron.
    Washable(!) Activated Granular Carbon Filter traps over 4000 chemicals and cigarette smoke.
    Washable Pre Filter traps large dust particles and extends HEPA filter's lifetime.
    Apatite Anti-Microbial Filter helps kill microbes and bacteria on contact.

Unique Plasmacluster Ion Active Air Purification Technology.
    Patented Plasmacluster Ion Technology (PCI) deactivates most airborne allergens including viruses, bacteria, microbes, mold spores, germs, fungi and other pollutants by creating the balanced shower of negative and positive ions.

New More Efficient Plasmacluster Ion Device generates Twice the Amount of negative and positive ions and works Twice as Fast to keep the air you breathe dust, allergens and pathogens free.
    -Speed Ultra Energy Efficient DC Electric Motor Ensures Extra Quiet Operation.
    Library Quiet Air Purifier - Up to 50 % Quieter than most other HEPA air purifiers.
    AHAM Certified CADR, CFM: Dust - 157, Smoke - 163, Pollen - 156.
    Maximum cleaning area - 663 sq. ft. @ 2 air changes per hour.
    Recommended cleaning area - 253 sq. ft. @ 6 air changes per hour.
    Ultra Low Power Consumption: Silent/Medium/High - 3.5 / 7.5 / 50 Watts.
    Power Consumption In Standby Mode - 0.3 W.

I think that just about covers the lot ? haha .. Since there is no smoking in the house it doesn't have to work very hard .. but I think the ion levels are making us feel more comfortable !

Thanks for all the replies and information everyone ! Joy : )
  13. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

we have 4 hamilton beach carbon hepa air cleaners in our apt....one in the LR, one in the office here, one in each bedroom. I SOOOOO noticed a difference when we didn't run them for 2 weeks...i ran out of filters and kept forgetting to order some. you can see these on amazon.com. that's where i got mine with free shipping...and i get my filters there too. i heard too many bad things about the ion ones. plus, i just couldnt see having to clean the plates all the time....wouldnt the particles go back into the air? several people told me that the walls where they had it sitting next to turned dark from using it.
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

One can have a neg. ionizer which isn't intended to clean the air, only to increase the neg. ions in the air. Some air cleaners with filters also emit neg. ions.

I have a laminar air flow system similar to what is used in "clean room" technology where electronics for space use are assembled. There is a neg. ionizer with a fan and air filter. At the opposite end of the room is a machine which has a band charged with pos. ions. This band attracts the very small particles which carry a neg. charge and have slipped past the neg. ionizer/cleaner.

I also have a couple of less expensive neg. ionizer/cleaners all in one and they do an admirable job. In addition, the neg. ions do make me feel better.

It is true that not everyone has the same sensitivity to neg. and pos. ions.

Love, Mikie