Air Purifiers

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by golden, Jun 12, 2006.

1. golden

golden New Member

I have a breathing problem which I can't find a cure for and the doctors think it's in my head. After 3 years of research I come to the conclusion that’s it’s not in my head. So I guess an air purifier might help and I guess it won’t hurt if it doesn’t help. Anyone know of a good one which you won’t have to mortgage your house to buy?

Richard
  2. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Do a search on the boards here (use the search box listed right under the purple band of icons on the top of the page) I found a lot of other posts and threads started on the topic of air purifiers. :)

I personally use an air filter. One made by Honeywell- it looks like a little R2D2 from Star Wars. I like mine a lot and found that it helps. It was a little over a $100 (I can't quite rememer) and all the filters except for one are washable (so you don't have to keep shelling out money over the years).
  3. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I have a DeLonghi. I love it. It probably helped save my life. Make sure you get one that's powerful enough to clean your whole room. If it isn't, you'll be wasting money. I also leave my exhaust in the bathroom and over kitchen stove on at all times.
  4. Scapper

Scapper New Member

I have an air filter but it's so old I can't remember what it removes from the air. I got it as a gift and I remember seeing the receipt for around $200, if I remember correctly. I then saw it in Sears for half the price (same one too). I ordered from a wholistic catalog so it's always more. It has two different filters, one that collects larger particles and a main hepa filter.

If you're really interested, I could try to find the paperwork. Let me know.

It really depends on what your needs are. They do have cheap ones, you just have to make sure they meet your medical needs.

Always a good idea, regardless.

scapper
  5. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

I have a smaller one in each end of the house and a large one in the living room. I don't know if it's any better or worse than the other brands. This is the only kind I've ever tried. it works well, I got a sweet deal on HSN or QVC, can't remember and replacement filters are all that bad and I order them from Sam's Club delivered to my house. Has done wonders for the allergies.
  6. livin4him

livin4him New Member

in the linens and things ad from sundays paper. They also have a 20% coupon. If I get one I will probably get one from there due to their return policy.

Good luck.

Have you checked out Dr. Cheney's article - The Heart of the Matter: CFS & cardiac issues? You might find it interesting.
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

I have 2 air purifiers.

Both are made by Hunter. I got them at Lowe's. They have a main HEPA filter and a charcoal filter that the air goes through before it goes through the HEPA filter. It takes air in from your room, purifies it, and releases back into your room.

They are GREAT! I love mine!!! You can really tell a difference. I also have one of mine in the room where my cat's litter box it to help with the smell of it.

It really helps with the allergy problems and my breathing problems.

Your breathing problems could be related to an allergy within your home. My son just did a vast remodeling job in his house this last year and has now been bothered with allergies--breaking out with hives, etc. It is either some of the products used when the put down hardwood floors in all the house, some of the paint, insulation, etc.

One of my daughters has asthma and when she visited him to see his house, she wasn't there for 30 min. and noticed that her breathing was becoming comprimised, so she had to leave.

You could have a hidden mold problem from some type of water leak or moisture problem that you don't even remember!

Have you had the full workup of allergy testing?

Back to air purifiers .... try one and I know you will like them! I also have one of those small ionizing ones--paid $69 for it--and it's not worth crap! You can not tell any difference in the room it is in, not at all like the room where the Hunters are in.

I think one of mine cost $120 and the bigger one cost $159 or so. But ... they are worth it!!

Hugs,
    Janet
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Seems to be turning up evidence that the ionizing air cleaners can put out too much ozone, which isn't good. I've used ionizing air cleaners for years now and the neg. ions they produce make me feel better. I don't know what to make of this research but if I were to purchase an ionizing air cleaner, like the Sharper Image tower, I would definitely get the one with an ozone guard grid on it where the air comes out.

Living in SW FL means I run my AC at least 7 months of the year. Keeping the filters changed and clean really help with air quality and prolong the life of the AC air handler.

Good luck. I've looked at so many types of air cleaners online and I'm just as confused as to which is best as when I started.

Love, Mikie
  9. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

I went back and checked just to see if they still had them in a set like I bought. HSN has a 3 piece set, similar to the ones that I got. 1 payment of 149 with free shipping or 3 payments of 49.97 on flexpay. They give you 30 days to return the items if you don't like them. The only difference in my set and the one on there now, looks like they now have a smaller one. I have 1 of the large room ones and 2 of the medium size room ones, but my house is long, so it works well for my home. Never had any trouble with any of them. The large one should be the one with the ionizer, but looking at them it looks like they may all have it. The ionizer works on a different button, so you can turn it off and still run the filter without it if you want and it looks like they all have both filters and prefilters in all of them too. It was a really good value for the money and I've run them all non-stop for at least 2 1/2 years, except to turn them off to change the filters.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/13/2006]