Airing a pet PEEVE (again).....TOOTHPASTE tubes

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sleepyinlalaland, Nov 25, 2006.

1. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

I posted this minor but constant annoyance...well, a long time ago, on the "other" board. It moved fast and I got little sympathy, so maybe here on the silly side, I'll finally feel supported.

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO SENSIBLY DESIGNED TOOTHPASTE DISPENSERS! Anyone remember back in the 80s (maybe 90s), almost all major brands of toothpastes were converting to either the stand-up pump dispenser or a tube with a big round head that was designed to stand upside-down on your counter? I hailed it as a small but great thing, like,why didn't anyone think of this sooner? The "pump" was easy and no-mess (ok, you maybe had to swipe off a little gunk once in awhile) and the upside-down tube was ingenious....the paste was a little more liquid formula, and because it always stood on its head, you could actually use it to the last drop, each squeeze as easy too dispense as the first.

THEN...I "dropped out" for a few years...could only shop the dollar stores for my toiletries. There, I accepted that I could only find the old squeeze tube. Finally, I was able to shop at a full-fledged pharmacy again and...guess what!? Other than some "specialty" brands, I can no longer find the inverted tube or the pump! Were they just TOO practical? When did that happen? Am I just shopping the wrong pharmacy?

This is such a sad conspiracy and now I'm back to wrangling the old squeeze tube, whose last contents taunt me several times a day. Did I just dream about the few years of practical design?
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

You sound like my mother. She said whenever she liked a product it was always taken off the market or "improved" so it wasn't as good as it had been.

Anyway I was reading a discussion of this topic a couple months ago in one of those serious newspapers like the Christian Science Monitor or the New York Times. Wait; maybe it was the Atlantic Monthly. Well, anyway...

It seems there was a quiet movement (I wouldn't want to call it a conspiracy) to do away w/ the new dispensers. The toothpaste manufacturers found they had increased the cost of production by anywhere from l.3% to l.6% w/o increasing sales at all.

Shipping costs were also increased as the new dispensers were bulkier and took up more room in shipping cartons.

Furthermore the divorce rate was decreasing around the country anywhere from 7 to 10% now that couples were no longer fighting about tooth paste caps.

This meant a falling off of business to marriage counselors, divorce lawyers, real estate sales people, etc.
    Consequently, at a conference held in Utica, N.Y., early in 1995 it was decided to return to the traditional toothpaste tube.

The decision was made that in the event of inquiries, the public would be informed that the change had been made in response to consumer demand.

So now you know.
  3. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

It's not just the design of the toothpaste it is the taste of it too. I can't find any that I like the taste of and right now I'm using Close-Up and the taste is making me gag.

I've gone through the Crest ones and don't like those either. I guess next would be to try my husband's Colgate Total and see how that one is.

I wish I could find a toothpaste taste I could stand.

I do like the tubes that stand up. The Crest Expressions did that, but I don't like their taste. My Close-Up is the way toothpastes have been for over 50 years.

Well the person who can design a better tube with a better taste will make millions!

Take care,
  4. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

for your thoughts on this pressing problem.

Rocky, I'm sure it's documented fact that a mess-less toothpaste caused a sharp drop in divorce, causing chaos in all things dependent on divorce. But I didn't know there was an article on this topic in New York Times, Christian Science Monitor or Atlantic regarding this fiasco. I'm really sorry I missed that one, I've been trying to research an answer to this one for some time. Googling got me nowhere.

Well, that works for me. It IS about the bottom line, and I did not just imagine an era when there were efficient dispensers. Especially with the "stand-up" you could get the last drop. Of COURSE profits went up when they discontinued. It's a sad world, but a least I feel a have a little...closure...on this issue.