"ALAS" it's the coffee

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by littlebrownwren, Dec 5, 2005.

1. littlebrownwren

littlebrownwren New Member

For yrs now I get up in the morn , take my darvocet, sit down at the table in a hard straight back chair with cushions, gently rock back and forth until the pain eases and read the paper , work the crossword and cryptoquip.

For some reason in the past months I have been able to do the crossword and cryptoquip in doubletime. I was beginning to think it was maybe a positive side effect of this DD, but todays paper says"It's the coffee'.

Researchers now say that they have documented that caffeine modulates a higher brain function through it's effects on distinct areas of the brain and helps with short term memory loss.

This thought did cross my mind. Being that this DD has taken so much from us and we have cried enough tears to fill an ocean and took enough pills to sink a battleship, do any of you have any laughable side effects or funny happenings you're brave enough to share because of this DD?

Sometimes it's so hard to laugh in the face of this DD, but maybe as a whole we can pull off a great giggle or two.

Wren
  2. caroleye

caroleye New Member

It's amazing how they "reverse" what's good & what's not. All those years when I got off coffee, and wondered why I was getting worse!

Was never more than a 2 cup/day drinker, but it's the only natural product that gets those neurotransmitters moving. Also studies are showing it can slow down alzheimers & other dementias by 10 years.

Guarana, an herb that contains some caffeine is also being recommended.

Ahhhhh, my organic coffee, vanilla almond milk, guarana, and within an hour, I'm "awake" enough to stumble around the house (lol)!!

LIGHT*************carole
  3. Cakedec

Cakedec New Member

I have FM and get the opposite with coffee. It makes me sleepy, almost groggy and not with it--can't focus, can't remember anything and don't feel right for 12 hours until it gets out of my system. This includes de=caf. Think I read a poster not long ago about how this can be symptoms of caffeine allergy. I don't really notice it with tea, though.

Deb
  4. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

Ah, I love my 2 cups of coffee in the morning!! It is hard for me to start work without them!
  5. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Like "everything", people have different reactions, and some can't tolerate caffeine. I was given an RX (think it was provigil), and Dr. told me it acted like caffeine.

Well, it put me to sleep, so we just never know!! I get sick on green tea.

LIGHT********carole
  6. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

I have a TALL coffee cup that is actually a 2 cup cup ! .. I have had to give up a lot of things .. but coffee is NOT going to be one of them .. it chases the dust bunnies from my brain for a bit .. and heaven knows I NEED that once in a while !
    Fudge : )