Alberta small town girl here too!! (West)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fallenstar1962, Mar 3, 2010.

1. fallenstar1962

fallenstar1962 New Member

Was just reading messages on being alone and lonely with this DD.. and noticed others from Alberta Canada. Wow pretty exciting for me too..thought I was all alone. To be honest I'm not to far from where some members were speaking of a building purchase.

I too suffer from "past friends" who have moved on with life. It would be so awesome to have other friends who understood when you call the " morning of " to say you won't make it. And wouldn't it be awesome to have a wiener roast/BBQ in our P.J's!! I hate getting dressed as everything seems to pull or pinch these days.

It's a small world after all ;)

~soft hugs to all~

2. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

(even though I know we don't wish these diseases on anyone)! I'm not from Alberta, but I like that we can be friends through PH!

I know what you mean about staying in PJ's; for the past 2 1/2 weeks, I've only gotten dressed two or three times! *sheepish grin* PJ's are so much more comfortable, plus I'm just too weak and painful to dress everyday.

My neighbor came to my house the other day, and I was in my PJ's and a big fuzzy bathrobe; I invited her in, but she seemed embarrassed, and wouldn't come in! I was way more covered than I would have been in my "daytime" clothes! It's funny how people think they're intruding when you're in a robe; they just don't know that is my main wardrobe these days.

(I'm not complaining; I just think it's kinda funny!)

Have a great day; I pray you find more people in your area that you can identify with! (I love my local FM/CFS support group!)

3. Jayna

Jayna New Member

Hi, Fallenstar

Sorry to welcome you to this little club of Alberta people with ME/CFS/FM. We sure are invisible up here despite having Dr. Stein trying to raise our public profile. I wish there was a message board we could use to just register ourselves and our region so we'd know we weren't alone. We could have a virtual weinie roast if I could post a picture of my backyard fire pit :D

And I'm in my comfy caftan, not PJ's. I have to 'dress' to the extent of puttting on a bra anyway every day or I get sore chest muscles. So my daughter helped me make some simple cotton caftans in a variety of prints (subdued ones for days when I can't take bright colours, and floral or patterned ones for less-stressed, more cheerful times).

[This Message was Edited on 03/04/2010]
  4. fallenstar1962

Yes it is very hard to make friends in the condition..and to be honest keep to myself most days. I have found support the few times I have posted..thank goodness!

P.J's are the best dressed wardrobe in yard..heck I wore them to my mom's the other night. I had to laugh..arrived at her house and she was in her P.J's too. Nice to laugh these days as I have been recently diagnosed with depression..another long story.

You are so right about people being uncomfortable when we are in P.J's.. happens to me too all the time. lol

Thanks so much for posting and kind too have an awesome day. As for my local FM/CFS group.. they are over an hour from my location.

5. fallenstar1962

Ya know..I'm sure the cold days out here have something to do with our symptoms. I can tell you the colder it gets the longer I stay in my home..and that does not always help either. lol

I am near the Wabamun Lake area.

lol So glad you liked the wiener roast idea..though I was speaking of the real thing! I live near the lake on an acreage with a brick fire pit.

Take care of you again soon.

6. fallenstar1962

I'm not so new to these boards..I have been on the boards since 2007 to be honest. lol I tend to keep to myself and just spend many countless hours reading and trying new ideas. But thank you so much for the warm welcome. Oh cool your in for the wiener roast too..I love it!!

You know a caftan is a really good I had not thought of..thank you. I'm on a mission to find comfy P'J's that look great. Now all I have to do is figure out the hair thing (mine is past my waist) perhaps stick to the pony. lol

Thanks again a great idea!! Hope your having a fairly pain free day.

7. Jayna

Jayna New Member

I cringed when I saw the hair too. No offense intended, dear. I loved my long hair too.

But when I had my worst relapse EVER 4 years ago, my hair was almost that long and my husband had to wash it for me because my arms ached so much for days after doing it. I finally got it chopped right up to my ears and the relief was OVERWHELMING. 3 minutes to wash, impossible to tell if it was 'styled' or not, and - most important in our winters - it dried in 20 minutes with a bit of towelling and thus wasn't sucking out my body heat for 24 hours at a stretch, leaving me vulnerable to whatever viruses my family brought home that day. It's down past my shoulders again as I've climbed out of the abyss enough to look after it myself, but I'd chop it in a heartbeat if I started to seriously relapse again.

As for the bitter cold, it wears me down very quickly too. Not so much now that we have a hot tub and I can hop right into that to warm up fast. But, as I often tell people who press me to go do something that would otherwise be fun, it's just easier to stay home all winter because my body doesn't make enough energy to BOTH run my immune system and keep me warm. And since a 'simple cold' for anyone else knocks me back for weeks, why take that chance every time I go out of the house unless I really, really must?

I'm all for a meet somewhere in the middle (being in Calgary) but I definitely wouldn't be away overnight. My sleep is too easily messed up by strange beds/hotel rooms and everything else goes downhilll fast after a single bad night.
  8. fallenstar1962

I hear times it takes my days to recover from a trip for groceries. But there are better days and a nap and some pain meds seem to do the trick.

I too suffer with's so hard.

Yup it sure is..well was...had 4" taken off a short time ago but still very long. I find it pretty easy to care for most days..I put it in a braid (if I'm not laying down).

A meet this summer could be an awesome idea..let me know. I still camp so have the option of pulling a trailer and skipping to motel costs. LOL I have dogs who are also very demanding but also a joy. Have a good to you soon.

~soft hug~
  9. fallenstar1962

Well as I said...thus far I'm fining it easier then date I still like my hair long. Really you found relief in cutting your hair..well good to hear. You are very right about the dampness though..mine takes for ever.

I wish the cold would just be done already..I think we have all had enough. A hot tub would be an awesome relief after a day out shopping etc. Do you find the hot tub is a lot of upkeep or hard to keep maintained?

LOL I hear's very hard to be away from my bed as well. My bed took me years to perfect! Metting would be nice..have to see how it goes. Have an awesome day tomorrow..take care.

10. fallenstar1962

I think I just missed ya..ugh. lol