Alcohol and CFS/FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by libralady, Sep 11, 2003.

1. libralady

libralady New Member

Is it possible to have a few glasses of wine with CFS/FM?
    It seems like it is getting harder and harder for my body to deal with alcohol. Not sure if it's my age (49) or the CFS. Although I do not drink every day, I find red wine with a meal tastes good to me, and it relaxes me. Do I have to give it up?

Any thoughts, anyone?

Many thanks.............LibraLady
  2. mariedoll

mariedoll New Member

I just ask my doctor the same question on Tuesday. I am also your age. He said to try it and see what happens; and warned me that I might not have a good reaction. I would definately recommend checking with your doctor first to see if it is counter-indicated with any of the medications you are taking.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/11/2003]
  3. duketomato

duketomato New Member

My mother also has FM and she has a glass of red wine before bed. She says it helps.I tried it with cheap wine and it did not help but then again I don't drink much and never liked wine.
    Just make sure that the glasses are'nt the size of fishbowls!
    I checked your bio and I see you live up there(Libertyville)near my brother in winehead country
  4. bitter-sweet

bitter-sweet New Member

I can only tolerate a small glass of wine. Anything beyond that just makes me ill. It's not worth it. Thank God I'm not an alcoholic, because it's in my family quite heavily. You shouldn't drink when taking medications anyway, but check with your doctor for specifics.
  5. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

I have always been a drinker. Up until the Hg diet, beginning on Aug. 1, I drank a considerable amount of cream sherry every night, with never any adverse effects (regular acidic wine gave me gas and irritatated my tongue). I never even had a hangover. It helped me sleep, relaxed me, relaxed my mind.

I honestly thought that I might be a borderline alcoholic (my son is one and my grandfather was one) because I would go a little nuts if I didn't have the money to buy any more. I thought the sherry would be the hardest thing to give up on the diet. I'm glad to say I was wrong. Maybe it was having a good enough reason to give it up, but I never missed it at all - I missed my bread, that's all. It's now been 1 1/2 months (almost) and I still don't miss it or have any desire for it.

JoAnn
  6. libra55

libra55 New Member

Hi, I would say if your body can tolerate the alcohol and you find that it relaxes you, then that's ok.

I was a big drinker before FM hit. I was a little peanut of a woman who could drink people twice my size right under the table. But after I got sick, I found that I didn't have much tolerance for liquor. These days, if I even have one glass of wine, I become very hot and flushed, then I feel dizzy and sick. My sleep is disrupted enough with the fibro but the wine just completely ruins it. So I have become a teetotaler. I miss my favorite drink which was Scotch but I'm not willing to feel so lousy just to have a drink. I have absolutely no craving for it at all. It's almost as though I've become allergic to it. I can't even tolerate beer.

I would just be cautious about mixing it with the meds, if you take any.

Good wishes,
    Michelle
  7. lorgirls

lorgirls New Member

Ive never been a big drinker but did enjoy it now and then. I am 36 and as of a couple months ago I am unable to drink at all. One sip and I start to feel like Ive had a few too maney and it just makes me feel like crap. My doc said drink it as you feel.I think,enjoy it in moderation as long as you can tolerate it.
    Take care,,,,Lori
  8. idiotsinc

idiotsinc New Member

Alcohol affects your sleep patterns. As it leaves the brain the brain looks for more, causing a form of anxiety. It also can have a rebound effect, waking you during the night. That's the last thing any of us need. I quit drinking 6 months ago, with the help of buspar, and will never drink again.

Bob
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

One glass of wine, two beers, or one mixed drink. Anything more will definitely disrupt my sleep. Of course, with the hypercoagulation, I drink for medicinal purposes only :)

Love, Mikie
  10. Chrissy3

Chrissy3 New Member

I have a lot of balance problems, and I find a small glass of red wine with my meal relaxes me and helps me feel less dizzy. If I have too much it keeps me awake all night.

A few months back I was so fed up with feeling so bad and having problems with my manager at work I drunk alot one night and left an anonymous message on the work ansaphone telling the manager what I thought of him - good job I was so drunk noone even recognised my voice!! Anyway I was so ill and sick the next day, it actually took 4 days for me to get over it (evil evil drink) lol.

Chrissy
  11. mamacilla

mamacilla New Member

i have not been able to tolerate alcohol since becoming sick. i was not a big drinker, but enjoyed an occasional bourbon or sangria in the summer, but even that leaves me feeling much worse, even 1 glass. and there's not a whole lot of alcohol in restaurant made sangria vs. homemade!
  12. Antenbunny

Antenbunny New Member

I can drink wine, which is about all I drink. It seems to help me a lot. I have more energy and my head ach goes away for a couple of hours.
  13. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

I did not drink for three years when i was so ill but i have found that drinking red wine helps me to sleep most of the night!!!!I was awake all the time before that.I think it relaxes me and it is good for the brain lol,
    I also do not like the side efects of tablets and what they can do to your insides.So I'll stick with the REDS which makes me happier than the MEDS LOL
    RENA UK
  14. CHRIS(uk)

CHRIS(uk) New Member

I used to be a social drinker and loved red wine. Howver, I find even a small amount just makes me feel groggy and hungover for a whole day afterwards.

I guess if you drink small amounts and you feel fine - then lucky you!!

Wish i could...
  15. libralady

libralady New Member

I have never tried organic wine. Do you think it makes a difference in terms of being better for you; less chemicals, etc.? I feel that if I am going to have that glass or 2 or wine, it should probably be one that is healthier than not!

Thanks...
  16. JP

JP New Member

I have never been much of a drinker and I do enjoy something to drink on occasion. I just can't do it these days. I had a half of a margarita one night and had unwelcome symptoms. I started to perspire, flush and just feel terrible. I think to drink or not to drink should be based on your tolerance and a conversation with your doctor regarding any medications you may be taking.

Enjoy if you are able...Jan
  17. jofla

jofla New Member

I turn red, can't breathe and break out in the itchys. The smell even makes me sick.

Take care,

Jo
  18. mcmac

mcmac New Member

Hi,

I love my red wine, and it took me a few times of almost dieing before I realized I cant touch the stuff. I spoke to a couple who have had FMS for 10 years now and they said they can drink, it's people who have irratable bowl sindrom who seem to have problem with it, and YES I have that. I think this is one of the most difficult part of all this, not being able to sit back with my husband and have some wine, it is getting better, the fact is it is not worth it to me anymore. I used to say the hell with it I'm having fun, but after a few time's of thinking I was going to end up in the Hospital is all it took, One good thing is not waking up with a hangover!! My Birthday is next week, I might try something like Vodka and soda, something light, will see.

Hope all is doing well.

Hugs,

Tammy
  19. vix

vix New Member

23 and have through trial and error found that i can usually tolerate 2 glasses of alcohol....three seems to be the point when i'll wake up the next day aching terribly. I cannot drink alcohol regulary but once a week is fine. i think i read once that alochol affects the messages sent from your brain to your body, which is why its so detrimental to weight loss.Anyone else heard of this? it could explain why its causes some of us to flare up.

My advice is to cut down and try and work out how much your body can take, as with everything when you have FM and CFS its like fumbling around for the answer blindfolded, gagged and with ear pluggs.

good luck!
    Vix
  20. RatLuver

RatLuver New Member

I had to give up my weekly rum and cola in June due to severe stomach pain a couple hours after a drink. I have IBS and GERD. Also I used to get very hot after a drink the last couple years, and I used to get very hot even after a cool shower, even when I hadn't drank anything. I had to sit in front of the fan to not sweat. Since I gave up the booze, I no longer get hot after showering or have stomach pain.
    We fibros have weird reactions to just about everything!

[ advertisement ]