alcohol and elavil

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by millennia, Nov 6, 2005.

1. millennia

millennia New Member

Anyone have any experiences while drinking alcohol and taking elavil? On the package insert it says to use caution while drinking, but it says that on a lot of inserts. I've been on one antidepressant or another for years now and never had a problem. I just started Elavil and went out drinking twice in the first month or two without any problems (but since I take it before bed and drinking makes me forgetful, I would forget to take it when I got home). The other night my friends and I were going out and I didn't want to forget to take it again, so I took it before we left. I had less drinks than either of the other nights and actually had to be carried out of the bar. It was the worst experience I've ever had drinking and I barely had anything to drink. It also seemed to cause a major flare. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. I'd like to be certain it was the mix of the two and not that someone dropped something into my drink.
  2. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I would check with my doctor.Or pharmacist.

Does not sound good if you were knocked out cold.
    You also stated you took them just before bed .Well even if you had been drinking and had taken them and hit the hay you would not have known if they had knocked you out.

Sue
  3. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

and have been for over a year. Last New Year's eve I decided to try to have a drink or two. I started feeling sappy after the first one - and decided I'd have enough. Alcohol and meds DO NOT MIX
  4. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

I take that medication at night .. 100 mgs actually, so it is fairly high in dosage .. I have a very rare glass of dry white wine and the affect is there for sure .. like jbennett2 .. I just don't bother any more .. champagne has been in the fridge for over 2 years now .. can it go bad ?
    Fudge : )
  5. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

Hi Millennia,
    I have to agree with everyone, alcohol and meds dont mix...
    but I also have to say that my husband and I have a wine cellar in our home and we collect wine...its been our hobby for 12 plus years.
    I think mixing the meds and wine isnt the smartest thing for me to do, but we do have probably a bottle 6 out of 7 nights with dinner. I do take 1 Elavil, 1 Ambien and 3 mirapexes each night also at 8 pm.
    I guess I have built up a tolerance for the combination. I've never had any bad reactions.
    JPach

[ advertisement ]