Alcohol diminishes rhumatoid arthritis - Globe & Mail article

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KerryK, Jul 31, 2010.

1. KerryK

KerryK Member

Small Doses
    Alcohol can lessen the pain of arthritis

New study finds the 'severity of the arthritis diminished as the frequency of alcohol consumption increased'
    Paul Taylor

From Friday's Globe and Mail
    Published on Thursday, Jul. 29, 2010 5:07PM EDT

Last updated on Thursday, Jul. 29, 2010 5:29PM EDT

.Lots of studies have suggested that drinking alcohol – in moderation, of course – can bestow certain health benefits, most notably a reduced risk of heart disease.

Now, new research indicates it may also lessen the pain and disability of rheumatoid arthritis. The results are based on 873 rheumatoid arthritis patients who completed questionnaires about their drinking habits and underwent a series of medical tests.

“We found that the severity of the arthritis diminished as the frequency of alcohol consumption increased,” said one of study authors, James Maxwell of the University of Sheffield in Britain.

In particular, “X-rays showed there was less damage to joints, blood tests showed lower levels of inflammation and there was less joint pain, swelling and disability.”

The study, published this week in the journal Rheumatology, marks the first time that the frequency of alcohol consumption has been linked to the severity of this disease.

Dr. Maxwell cautioned that the findings must be confirmed by additional studies. He also emphasized that the participants did not drink to excess. The most frequent drinkers consumed alcohol about 10 days a month.

[This Message was Edited on 07/31/2010]
  2. simonedb

simonedb Member

pretty fascinating
    guess moderation (but also frequency) would be way to go so not to get harmful effects from the alcohol
    I cannot tolerate alcohol with my mcs
    but it does shw that an across the board abstinence only theme doesnt make sense for everyone
  3. spacee

spacee Member

But I'm going to give it another try! Just sips.

I used to see a woman (never knew her name) but she was about 70.
    She started drinking a smile (coke and rum, I think) at lunchtime.

She always had a smile on her face!